• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What games should I get for the Switch?

sierra

Bells
Switch
8007-6994-2794
New Horizons Token
Happy Ditto Easter Egg
Mint
Like many, I?m getting a switch just for New Horizons. But if you get wet, might as well go swimming.

If y?all could put me on to some games, I?d be v appreciative!

FYI I have no history with Nintendo games besides New Leaf, Mario Kart, and Ocarina of Time for the 3DS. I grew up in a v religious family who didn?t let me play Pok?mon or Zelda.

But now at 26, It?s time. It?s been time.

I?m interested in Pok?mon but will it make sense if I just jump into it without knowing anything about previous games?

For Pokemon, you don't really need to play the previous generations so you're good on there. You may not understand some references, though.

I'd recommend:
- The Legend of Zelda: Breathe of the Wild
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Pokemon Sword or Shield
- Super Mario Odyssey

Stardew Valley, if you don't already own it for the PC! I also recommend Night in the Woods, Atelier Rorona, and while it's not out yet, they're coming out with Cooking Mama for the switch, which I plan on getting!

Last edited:
If you’re interested in JRPGs or strategy games, I could suggest Fire Emblem Three Houses or the Xenoblade Chronicles 2020 remaster that’s coming out this year. The reason I mentioned that one and not Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is because you kind of need to play the first one first, and I’m also trying to get more people hyped for it since I enjoyed playing it on the 3DS so much. :p

For Pokemon, you don't really need to play the previous generations so you're good on there. You may not understand some references, though.

I'd recommend:
- The Legend of Zelda: Breathe of the Wild
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Pokemon Sword or Shield
- Super Mario Odyssey

Ah YES breath of the wild, I’m excited for!!!
I’m glad I’m asking now bc it’s gonna take me a month to decide between sword and shield

Stardew Valley, if you don't already own it for the PC! I also recommend Night in the Woods, Atelier Rorona, and while it's not out yet, they're coming out with Cooking Mama for the switch, which I plan on getting!

Stardew is amazing I’m definitely gonna get it for switch. The playthrough value is just too good. I want me a Halloween farm. :)
Cooking mama is a game I always thought belonged in my life thank you for reminding me!!

If you’re interested in JRPGs or strategy games, I could suggest Fire Emblem Three Houses or the Xenoblade Chronicles 2020 remaster that’s coming out this year. The reason I mentioned that one and not Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is because you kind of need to play the first one first, and I’m also trying to get more people hyped for it since I enjoyed playing it on the 3DS so much. :p

I’m watching xenoblade chronicle trailers rn and I’m honestly hype

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is so good if you like strategy, it's my first Fire Emblem title and I can't recommend it enough. It's really story heavy too and most importantly characters die for real if they die on the battleground. I can't really compare it to other titles, but the combat is a lot of fun and the voice acting is really good too.

You can always jump back into Pok?mon too. I jumped back with Pok?mon Black and then played some previous titles afterwards, but just experiencing Black after barely knowing the first three generation was really an amazing experience. I'm sure Sword/Shield will give you the same experience. Pok?mon Let's Go is also fun, but it's just Pok?mon Yellow again.

Professor Layton is a good series if you like puzzles, and it came on the Switch with a technical spinoff in the same style. I haven't played much of it, but it has new puzzles daily and compared to other games it's about smaller cases instead of one big case that's basically the plot of each game. It's definitely not the strongest game storywise, but it's a good introduction with solid puzzles.

And I'll assume you have some knowledge about games in general, and this post is already long, so I'll recommend more games that are just really good and not necessarily from Nintendo but also on the Switch:

- A Hat In Time
- Slay the Spire
- The Talos Principle
- Hollow Knight
- Divinity: Original Sin 2

I really like a lot of indie games on the switch, I'd definitely look there! Obviously research about the games before you jump into purchasing them so you know if you'll enjoy them or not, but here are some of my favorites:

- Graveyard Keeper
- Stardew Valley
- Agatha Knife (and the other psychotic games in the series, these are more like interactive stories tho)
- Katamari
- DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS 2. FAVORITE SO FAR, HANDS DOWN.

My most played games are Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Smash and Pok?mon Shield so I'd happily recommend all those. No need for any past experience, you can just dive in with all of them.

I've noticed that my tastes are a bit varied, so here are some of my favorite games that haven't been mentioned yet.

- Hyrule Warriors is one of my favorite hack and slash games. I really, really love Dragon Quest Builders 2 (it is like Minecraft with a JRPG plot and a free-build section).
- I also really, really love Dragon Quest XI which is the most JRPG of a JRPG you can get.
- Cat Quest is a fun and wild RPG.
- Cinders is a fantastic visual novel which is a retelling of Cinderella.
- I really like Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore because it is a JRPG that is based of the JPop idol industry to the point where they had actual JPop labels work on the music. (The soundtrack is fantastic!)

Hmmm, I think I mostly reach for RPGs and building games. You can't go wrong with any of the other suggestions, but these are some different ones.

Last edited:
If you like...

fun adventure:
Breath of the wild
Xenoblade
Pokemon mystery dungeon (not out yet)

Life simulation/building:
Dragon quest builders 2
Stardew valley
Terraria

Shooter/fighting games:
Splatoon
Super smash bros

Strategy:
Fire emblem

Family fun
Mario kart
Mario party

Run/gun:
Cuphead

indie games:
Unravel 2
Child of light
Night in the woods
Untitled goose game

These are ones I like anyway c:

I really recommend Luigi's Mansion 3, I didn't think I'd like it at first but got quite accustomed to smacking a few ghosts about in a haunted hotel. A great one for problem solvers!

Of course, Mario Kart is a classic and no brainer :p

I'm not sure if this going to be as useful, but from what I can tell you're not someone who's inherently played a lot of games.
This means that the games you play should be games that allow you to have a lot of freedom in being good (or bad) at whatever you do, and having a lot of fun.

Of course the two big name ones are super mario oddysey, and breath of the wild. Large swathes of open world that you can explore, built for players of all ages, and you can really do anything you want.

After that though nearly any game you'd want to get is pretty... dependent on what you value in a game.

I mean fire emblem is a fun game if you enjoy strategy and... not as good of one if you aren't. Pokemon is great if you're a fan of collecting, or battling, or even have pokemon nostalgia, but it also might not be as great if you're not interested in that.

What I would recommend you do is either play demos, or find comparisons with games between others you've played in the past. OR, get games that you can enjoy with the people around you/online. I mean if you have a couple of friends smash is something you can bring to always have a good time, same with mario kart. If not then maybe you won't get as much fun out of beating people up online.

I know this is a really long winded way to say what I have to say, but I really do love so many games. If there are other games you've played, you could send me a PM and I could give you games that are similar to them on the switch, if not then this can just be some kind of weird rambling.

:)

Tricky Towers, if you haven't already. I played it on other consoles and it's the bomb

Back