• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

What do you think about the new Barbies?

Twisterheart

Bells
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Ruby
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Mint
Lobo
White Pansy
The Bell Tree Fair 2017 Patch
For those of you who don't know, they are making a new line of Barbies that include dolls with different races and body types. What do you think about this? Do you think it's a good idea or do you think it's not? I like the different race dolls but I don't know what to think about the different body sizes.

They already had the race dolls, it's the body types that are new.

Anyhow it's fantastic, nothing negative can come out of it and it's a great step forward in the body positivity movement. It's even greater that they're all Barbie, and not just "Barbie's differently shaped friend".

I think it's a good idea, it's a good influence on younger children about body types, it's definitely much better than the last Barbie. Tall, skinny, "perfect".
I'm glad they're finally setting a message out there to children about how race and body type doesn't matter, everyone is beautiful. They sure weren't with the older Barbies.

Its a major improvement. Now girls who are ~different~ wont look at barbie and wish they looked like her. they will just see another barbie.

It's a big improvement. Hopefully now little girls won't think they need to be skinny to be pretty. Everyone is pretty in their own way.

It's definitely a step in the right direction, but not the company's choice, as people have been pushing for this for a really long time. If you go on to Mattel's site, there are 7 new "curvy" dolls, 7 tall, 7 petite, and TWELVE options for the original style. I feel like they could've put out more options for dolls that aren't white/blonde/blue eyed.

they're perfect, for a older person
a kid is going to *** it up anyways. When I was little I just cut their hair off or have them fight. I then lost their clothes and only want new ones

I think it's personally a great idea and I like that they're finally doing it...give or take it should have happened years ago. Not trying to criticize Mattel but I hope the next step is that we get more skin tones and races presented in our barbies, except for the one or two races featured every now and then. Also I agree with the person above, it's great for older collectors but the kids are just going to be like OK and do whatever. I think it's mostly for the parents or adults at this point.

a kid is going to *** it up anyways. When I was little I just cut their hair off or have them fight. I then lost their clothes and only want new ones

so true
when i was little i would cut off chunks of their hair and take them in the bath with me

How are people going to buy new clothes for the dolls? You can't use the same clothes for all the dolls as some are taller or wider, I think.

When I was younger, I had Barbie dolls but I was a little delinquent. I was like Sid from Toy Story. I'd cut the hair off and play tug of war with my dog. I remember the very last toy my mom ever bought me. I put a Barbie doll over the stove and just cooked this poor plastic doll.

To be honest though, I never looked at Barbie and was like,"I wanna be just like this!" That might be due to me being a really ****edup weird kid but idk. I do have to wonder if they changed because they genuinely are trying to send some sort of message or they're seeing a way to make a ton more money.

Last edited:
I'm really happy to see this happening so young girls can find a Barbie who looks just like her. :)

i think its good. but it clearly looks like they just want more money. They could have come out with these much earlier.

LITERALLY ME i used to dye their hair and give them tattoos wow i was such a goth 9 year old

I think it's important for little kids to see different body types represented in the dolls they're playing with- the idea that the Barbie body is the 'perfect' body sticks with you

I think it's important for little kids to see different body types represented in the dolls they're playing with- the idea that the Barbie body is the 'perfect' body sticks with you

For some people, maybe. For me and a couple friends though, we never thought of her as the perfect body or person. She was just a doll. I don't know if people can really blame "Barbie" for all the self-confidence issues young people face.

LITERALLY ME i used to dye their hair and give them tattoos wow i was such a goth 9 year old

I had like a big ol toy box where all my dolls were at and they were just ugly. I would use nail polish for their lips to change the color.

How are people going to buy new clothes for the dolls? You can't use the same clothes for all the dolls as some are taller or wider, I think.

When I was younger, I had Barbie dolls but I was a little delinquiet. I was like Sid from Toy Story. I'd cut the hair off and play tug of war with my dog. I remember the very last toy my mom ever bought me. I put a Barbie doll over the stove and just cooked this poor plastic doll.

To be honest though, I never looked at Barbie and was like,"I wanna be just like this!" That might be due to me being a really ****edup weird kid but idk. I do have to wonder if they changed because they genuinely are trying to send some sort of message or they're seeing a way to make a ton more money.

This is why I don't know how to feel about the "curvy" dolls. Girls with the different sized dolls are going to get upset when their favorite outfit for the skinnier dolls don't fit on the other ones. Now parents will have to go buy seperate clothes just for the different types or the kid will just have to deal with their doll having one outfit. I remember I always got frustrated because my Bratz had more fashionable clothes than my Barbies but I couldn't put Bratz clothes on the Barbies because they were too little. I feel like this whole thing is to please adults rather than please kids. Growing up I never looked up to Barbie either. I was jealous of her nice house and cars, but I was never sad that I didn't look like her.

- - - Post Merge - - -

When I was five my neighbor used to take me to school everyday and she had a two year old daughter who liked to eat her Barbies. She would rip the legs off and eat them completely. It was so bad the kid wasn't allowed to play with Barbies or even be around them because she would just eat them.

I had like a big ol toy box where all my dolls were at and they were just ugly. I would use nail polish for their lips to change the color.

I dunked Ken's entire head into a nail polish container. I don't know why but but my little mind was like,"Wow! That looks good!"

For some people, maybe. For me and a couple friends though, we never thought of her as the perfect body or person. She was just a doll. I don't know if people can really blame "Barbie" for all the self-confidence issues young people face.

Of course Barbie isn't to blame entirely but she is (was) yet another thing that's huge in society that pushes the impossible thin-but-curvy figure in young girls' faces. She didn't cause the issue herself but she contributed to it.

Idk why I'm talking about Barbie like she's a real person but yeah.

Of course Barbie isn't to blame entirely but she is (was) yet another thing that's huge in society that pushes the impossible thin-but-curvy figure in young girls' faces. She didn't cause the issue herself but she contributed to it.

Idk why I'm talking about Barbie like she's a real person but yeah.
I guess it's just my experience and the certain people I talked to but we never saw her as this thing we had to be. Other people may have viewed her differently though.

Back