What counts as a river?

Kattea

Bells
Glitched Easter Egg
Galaxy Easter Egg
Stardust Easter Egg
Crescent Moon Easter Egg
Dreamy Easter Egg
I’m starting to terraform my island more seriously, and part of that involves taking down parts of my natural river. I'd still like to be able to catch fish that spawn in rivers, so I'm wondering what constitutes a river vs a lake? Does a river need to be connected to the river mouths, or does it just need to be long?

A river needs to be connected to a waterfall.

For example, if you terraformed a tile of falling water that's connected to a pond, it will start to spawn river fish instead of pond fish.

It doesn't need to be connected to the river mouth. :)

A river needs to be connected to a waterfall.
no, I can confirm this is false by my island having sections with no waterfalls that the game still considers as "rivers"

it's weird and I don't know the exact restrictions (seems to be something with the shape being elongated vs circular and/or if it does/doesn't have islands in the middle of it), but you can determine if your water section is a river or a pond by if your fishing bobber moves or stays in place. if it moves, it's a river. if it's stationary, it's a pond

+1 what LambdaDelta said. A river basically just has to comply with any of these 3 to be considered a river;

1. Leads out to sea
  2. Is a long narrow piece
  3. Leads to or comes from a waterfall

If it doesn't, it's a pond. :)

+1 what LambdaDelta said. A river basically just has to comply with any of these 3 to be considered a river;

1. Leads out to sea
  2. Is a long narrow piece
  3. Leads to or comes from a waterfall

If it doesn't, it's a pond. :)
and here some of my "rivers" fall under none of those categories

nh is just weird sometimes, I feel

and here some of my "rivers" fall under none of those categories

nh is just weird sometimes, I feel

Maybe you have a big pond that the game considers it under "long" ? but nh is sometimes indeed a bit weird :LOL:

Last edited:
H
no, I can confirm this is false by my island having sections with no waterfalls that the game still considers as "rivers"

it's weird and I don't know the exact restrictions (seems to be something with the shape being elongated vs circular and/or if it does/doesn't have islands in the middle of it), but you can determine if your water section is a river or a pond by if your fishing bobber moves or stays in place. if it moves, it's a river. if it's stationary, it's a pond
It's not 'false' at all.

I know there are various ways to tell, by the bobber being still in a pond, and moving in a river, and obviously any water leading directly to the mouth is river and not pond, but unbroken waterfalls turn ponds into rivers.

I've even got a large section I made in my cemetery that is half pond, and half river, with a waterfall on one side.

I make these things all the time, and there was even a way to make a trash spawning pond, that had to do with the size, shape, and direction of the fall, but I believe that may have been patched.

In my experience, a waterfall has always turned my ponds into river (fish) spawning ponds.

H
It's not 'false' at all.

I know there are various ways to tell, by the bobber being still in a pond, and moving in a river, and obviously any water leading directly to the mouth is river and not pond, but unbroken waterfalls turn ponds into rivers.

I've even got a large section I made in my cemetery that is half pond, and half river, with a waterfall on one side.

I make these things all the time, and there was even a way to make a trash spawning pond, that had to do with the size, shape, and direction of the fall, but I believe that may have been patched.

In my experience, a waterfall has always turned my ponds into river (fish) spawning ponds.

This says otherwise. No waterfall, no problem.

2021012506593100-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

What separates a river from a Pond in my experience is elongation

ETA: I add homemade bridges all the time with terraforming. That alone proves you can have rivers without any as that makes me have pieces of river that connects to neither waterfall or outlet, and they work just fine.

When terraforming ponds in fun shapes i just try to pay attention to the water flow on the edge of the land so it doesnt spawn the fish I dont want.

Yeah, I noticed this too. I wanted to make a large koi pond on a former island but I wanted it to be sort of a long pond with an "S" shape so that I could put a decorative zen bridge over the middle of it at an angle. I was so disappointed when river fish spawned and no koi! :-(

It looked very pretty though, with the zen bridge.

I thought it was rather stupid for the game to consider a pond or lake as a river, but there it is.

I can also confirm you don't need waterfalls or a mouth to the sea to form a river.

I can't confirm this, but from my experience, a river is formed when its length is less than or equal to half it width(or vice versa) AND the longer side(length or width) is 20 or more tiles long. Again I can't confirm this, but when I was desperately trying to catch a betta, I got frustrated because kept making ponds instead of rivers, and tried experimenting on what made a river. A mouth to the sea or waterfall connection makes instant river status, but if you make a pond just skinny and long enough, it will count too.

The game actually counts a giant circle as a lake which is cool. I made like a 10x10 pond or something and it still counted as a pond. But when I made a 6x3 mini "pond" the game thought it was a river because it was longer lengthwise.

It doesn't need to be connected to a waterfall or the sea, if it's got a longer length than width then the game will start counting it as a river. You can tell when you fish in it and the bobber moves

A terraformed direct waterfall, not on an angle is what I said.

Also if you have'a pond with a terraformed tile in it, it can cause a current, turning it into a river pond.

If you want a tile in a pond, you just have to mess with it until it's in a spot where the bobber/lure isn't moving for'it to be a pond.

Last edited:
Back