• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Uploading photos with better clarity

Tiffany

🌜 from Lunasoleil 🌞
Bells
Switch
3772-7854-6594
Blue Christmas Stocking
Blue Train Engine
Sleek Train Car
Cute Train Car
Floral Train Car
Yellow Caboose
Crystal Tree
Lost Star Fragment 004.MB
Tockoid
Froggy Snowman
I have noticed most people who upload photos have them very large and very good quality. I am trying to figure out how to do this. My method is i take a pic in game and then send it from the switch photo album to my phone. from there i send it to my fb messenger and then save it to my pc to upload here. This method works but when i upload the photo its small and after adding to my post with the insert image option it gets more out of focus the bigger i make it. How are making them look so nice? thanks and merry christmas!

As far as I'm aware, uploading images via URL tends to have higher quality (and costs 0 bells!) than uploading pictures directly to TBT.

Fmv4DJp.png

My preferred method is to upload images to Imgur.com or another image hosting website. Right click the image > and hit "Copy Image Address."

The code would look something like this, in BBCode form:

HTML:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/Fmv4DJp.png[/IMG]

As far as I'm aware, uploading images via URL tends to have higher quality (and costs 0 bells!) than uploading pictures directly to TBT.

Fmv4DJp.png

My preferred method is to upload images to Imgur.com or another image hosting website. Right click the image > and hit "Copy Image Address."

The code would look something like this, in BBCode form:

HTML:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/Fmv4DJp.png[/IMG]
thank you!

Does that mean that putting images directly in posts costs bells and somehow I never noticed?
Actually, I'm unsure if it still charges a percentage of TBT to use the on-site image uploader anymore... But back on TBT 2.0 it did, so I don't use it anymore. lol

I'm going to test it real quick, then. For science!

Screen Shot 2023-12-22 at 7.21.56 PM.png

Here is a screencap I just took of the bell bag next to the shop button, which seems like a fitting test image. I'll see if my transactions reports any cost for posting this message.
Post automatically merged:

Nope, it didn't cost me any bells, and I actually earned two bells for that post. So, I guess that was just in the older version of TBT.

Nope, it didn't cost me any bells, and I actually earned two bells for that post. So, I guess that was just in the older version of TBT.
Yes, uploading photos using the image uploader no longer costs bells. I was looking for the post to confirm when the change happened, but I feel like it must have been around the time TBT 3.0 was introduced.

I use the image uploader sometimes if the image is small enough or an image hosting site if the image is too large. Sometimes, I also just copy/paste directly into my post. It really depends on what I'm doing.

Just to clarify, the quality doesn't differ between uploading the image on TBT and uploading the image on an image hosting service like Imgur. I used the same screenshot for the examples below:
2xzBq6d.jpg
2023011710092200_s.jpg

When I did events in the past, what I usually did is I'd upload from my Switch to Twitter, then copy the image from Twitter to Imgur, then post the resulting image link onto here.

Though, I'm curious about the process you're using. Just testing it myself in a slightly different way, it made no difference to the quality if I sent it to my phone, downloaded it, then uploaded it to Discord then to Imgur then posted it in here:
kT7MsIq.jpg

Even trying to upload directly from my phone to here didn't affect the quality:
2023011710082100-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Given that the last one does work to produce the same quality image as the rest, would it be possible for you to just upload it to TBT while on your phone? That way you can skip having to upload it to Messenger, then having to save it to your PC, which might be part of the problem.

For anyone who might be helped by this—I noticed that sometimes I couldn’t directly upload photos from my phone to TBT because the image size was too large. For a long time I would run them through an online image compressor, redownload them, and then upload that version.

Recently, I discovered that if I take a phone screenshot of my own photo and then crop that image down to the screenshot, the image size will be reduced while the image remains high quality. Much faster and easier!

Back