[Un]Official TBT Discord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely support the idea of site wide Discord. The mafia one is very active and honestly I think makes us as a group want to play more and like the people we play with. I think having the Discord would benefit in helping bring more people together since it has a great mobile app (I use it personally) and it could shake things up again and make people interested in joining because it sounds like the IRC is dead. Discord also can give access to voice chats if the staff want to bring in a Mumble like system. If not at the moment, I think if they ever build in a site plug-in for Discord the staff should definitely try it.

I absolutely support the idea of site wide Discord. The mafia one is very active and honestly I think makes us as a group want to play more and like the people we play with. I think having the Discord would benefit in helping bring more people together since it has a great mobile app (I use it personally) and it could shake things up again and make people interested in joining because it sounds like the IRC is dead. Discord also can give access to voice chats if the staff want to bring in a Mumble like system. If not at the moment, I think if they ever build in a site plug-in for Discord the staff should definitely try it.

The only issue I have is that some people here are trash and would troll and stuff
The Soda pop+ group has this problem from time to time. We usually handle it well but we are only a portion of the site. Now imagine the entire site being on. It would be a major issue.

- - - Post Merge - - -

On top of this if you create a group with just one link you can't control or have any knowledge of how many people are in it which causes problems and tensions of problems occur. Plus alt accounts, etc.

Last edited:
The only issue I have is that some people here are trash and would troll and stuff
The Soda pop+ group has this problem from time to time. We usually handle it well but we are only a portion of the site. Now imagine the entire site being on. It would be a major issue.

On top of this if you create a group with just one link you can't control or have any knowledge of how many people are in it which causes problems and tensions of problems occur. Plus alt accounts, etc.
I imagine there would be enough staff members to deal with trolling issues and raids by the time it happens, at the very least if someone has to mobile app they can see their @ notification and we could @staff as a whole should a problem arise without an active staff member online. Discord much like IRC is very much honor system, so we just gotta trust that not everyone will abuse it otherwise they risk getting permanently banned from the group Discord.

I imagine there would be enough staff members to deal with trolling issues and raids by the time it happens, at the very least if someone has to mobile app they can see their @ notification and we could @staff as a whole should a problem arise without an active staff member online. Discord much like IRC is very much honor system, so we just gotta trust that not everyone will abuse it otherwise they risk getting permanently banned from the group Discord.

The thing is that it's ao easy to make another account andtl the mods can't exactly track alts there. It"s slightly better now since members are assigned numbers but it's sttoll difficult bc of that. Hopefully we get people who do their job correctly

The thing is that it's ao easy to make another account andtl the mods can't exactly track alts there. It"s slightly better now since members are assigned numbers but it's sttoll difficult bc of that. Hopefully we get people who do their job correctly

The IRC was mostly the same and they were able to appropriately handle it.

Speaking from experience or just knowledge? :lemon:

Regardless, I have faith the staff could handle a (group of) bored kids.

They can barely handle this site with how little there are let alone individually pm people the link to the group because having only one would be chaos

They can barely handle this site with how little there are let alone individually pm people the link to the group because having only one would be chaos

While I won't argue with you on the first point, if the Discord is done the invite will most likely not be sent via PM unless automated like Gyroid bot. By the time the Discord has had rules and various other things setup, I would have hoped they'd brought more staff on by then. A Discord for a site of this size requires obvious planning, given how more hands on it has to be compared to the IRC. It will probably have extra "channel operators", hand picked by staff assuming Project Staff isn't some large and lengthy group.

As for the first point, I'd like to point out the staff is only as good as it's members. They can't browse everything and require help sometimes, it's why the report function is there. And obviously they know that being down a sizable number is a disadavantage, hence applications being open and the Contact the Staff board being there in an effort to fast track issue.

@UniversalJellyfish, Sodapop is just as availible to everyone as this one would be though, so if you guys can handle all of it then I don't see how the current mods + whoever they might promote as channel operators if needed couldn't handle it as well.
I don't know how you guys are seeing it, but I'm just seeing this as a newer/upgraded IRC channel that TBT needs.

What you are describing really isn't any different than what we already deal with on TBT and used to deal with in the IRC on a fairly regular basis. We might as well shut down the forums if we're that concerned over dealing with some spammers.

I also don't see what is so concerning about a single link -- again, it's no different than say IRC or Mumble.

You do realize they could just change the link in the bar that says chat to link to the group, right?

- - - Post Merge - - -

- - - Post Merge - - -

I think you're over-estimating how many people are actually going to use this.

You do realize they could just change the link in the bar that says chat to link to the group, right?

- - - Post Merge - - -

I think you're over-estimating how many people are actually going to use this.

That's true, you have a point 0:

We might as well shut down the forums if we're that concerned over dealing with some spammers.
please

Honestly I want it to happen
even though i always accidently click voice chat in discord when i dont voice chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back