Ughhh, greedy turnip sellers.

I unfortunately can't go and sell my turnips often because my wifi is bad when visiting other towns, and I'd be too stressed trying to host one, so I'm kind of absent from the stalk market business. :s

But like, assuming someone bought millions of bells worth of turnips and is selling them at 500+ bells, they're going to make a massive profit.
If I went and sold turnips and dropped 99k bags every time I went back to the locker, say I ended up dropping around 500k. That could easily be made back by a single island trip for expensive bugs. If I made like 15 million off those turnips, 500k is barely a dent in that, anyway; that's still a ton of money made. Tips won't eat your profit up.

and running off and stealing things is just a do not ever do in any cases, that shouldn't even have to be said. that one probably stinks more than lack of tips because you also have to cut the wifi on the people who are just going about their turnip selling as they should be.
(and if you're stealing tips then you're the worst kind of person)

Last edited:
I know that hosting for turnip selling can be hard work but I've never felt the need to require tips when I host and I usually get tipped pretty well. That being said, I tip pretty well when I have to sell elsewhere. My perspective on tips is, just like someone saying thank you, it should come from the person wanting to be nice and respectful. Anyone who's worked with the general public will tell you, not everyone tips and you're going to run into rude people. I know that this is a game and that we have a choice on who to let in our towns, but I still feel that applies.

I know that the lovely, thankful people will tip, but I'd rather make it a requirement to scare off those who don't want to tip. I don't want to waste my time on someone who's rude, doesn't like tipping, and doesn't say their "thank you"s.

But we're two different hosts and we work in different ways.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I unfortunately can't go and sell my turnips often because my wifi is bad when visiting other towns, and I'd be too stressed trying to host one, so I'm kind of absent from the stalk market business. :s

But like, assuming someone bought millions of bells worth of turnips and is selling them at 500+ bells, they're going to make a massive profit.
If I went and sold turnips and dropped 99k bags every time I went back to the locker, say I ended up dropping around 500k. That could easily be made back by a single island trip for expensive bugs. If I made like 15 million off those turnips, 500k is barely a dent in that, anyway; that's still a ton of money made. Tips won't eat your profit up.

and running off and stealing things is just a do not ever do in any cases, that shouldn't even have to be said. that one probably stinks more than lack of tips because you also have to cut the wifi on the people who are just going about their turnip selling as they should be.
(and if you're stealing tips then you're the worst kind of person)

Whenever I'm hosting and someone is really lovely but has a bad connection I try to accommodate them by letting them drop by when I'm done and they're available. Bad connections suck! (ง’̀ - ’́)ง Been on that end a couple times when good prices showed up.

*nodnod* I just.. yes.. I agree so much.

I don't understand why people steal and damage. :c It's a game, yes, but a game one has worked hard in. I wish there was an option to lock things in place so no one can touch things.

Last edited:
I know that the lovely, thankful people will tip, but I'd rather make it a requirement to scare off those who don't want to tip. I don't want to waste my time on someone who's rude, doesn't like tipping, and doesn't say their "thank you"s.

But we're two different hosts and we work in different ways.

Unfortunately though, neither way fully eliminates rude people, people who don't want to tip and people who don't say thank you.

I agree. When I once hosted a turnip session, one person was in my town for a long time. A good 45 minutes or so. I don't really ask for tips, but many people were really generous so they tipped anyways c:. But the person dumped an hourglass on the ground at the beginning as a tip. It seemed to me that it was a trash item to the person and he just wanted space for his turnips. So that costed me a trip to Retail since I have this pet peeve of having my inventory clean before I save and quit. And the person didn't really say thank you either. He did tip about 50k at the end though, but again I didn't require a tip so a small bell tip didn't really matter to me.

I agree that all hosts should be tipped for their patience and time in keeping their towns open for sellers.

However, I just wanted to note, that before you immediately assume someone is rude, you might want to see what region and/or country they are from.
In some countries, particularly in parts of Europe, it is neither customary nor at all expected for individuals to leave tips.

People who don't tip might just be from such places.

(Tho that's no excuse if they don't tip when specifically asked to do so.)

I think hosts can usually be more rude, i've seen some people ask for 2 million bells for people to sell turnips which is a lot imo especially if the person doesn't even have that much.. anyway, whenever i've sold turnips people have tipped and this one time a person who hadn't bought a lot gave me a 2000 bell tip which i thought was really nice considering she didnt have that many turnips. i told her to keep it but she wouldnt haha :)

I belong to a group that we have rules to post on the board before leaving. Group always says thanks and goodbye. I enjoy reading the messages that they leave.
I host all the time and don't ask for tips. Tell them to give it to another members PWP or to build one in their town.
I've gone out of my way when a person was hosting a turnip day. She was trying to find a town in Sunday.
So I turned on my harvest town and bought her abunch of turnips. Sold them for her and gave her all but the money that I bought them for.

My turnip prices always suck, so I've never had this problem with turnip sellers, but I have had problems when I've done other things (the giveaway I did to get my train station upgraded) where people just haven't read the rules. I get it in my cycling thread a lot too where people ask if I have certain villagers when in the first post, I've stated who I have and I keep it updated. And people ask me all the time if I'm raffling someone yet. Does the title say raffling? Have you seen a post with me announcing a raffle? No? Don't ask me to enter you in the raffle that's not happening yet! I've made several announcements about it, but people still do it all the time.

I have so many issues with turnips that I rarely even bother now. :C
I remember there was this one girl who came in, 2 hours later, she was still going. (I assume it was Sunday in her town, she made trips to the locker and back to her town.)
She finished and said 'end' without giving me anything. As made at LEAST 15 million from her sales, probably more.

This blows my mind. ****, I give people a full basket of perfect apples just for coming to my town to grab a villager(free or not). It blows my mind that someone could come over to your town to sell their turnips for some money, and dare to not even leave a tip. O_O"
I've never done the whole turnip thing myself (because I is lazy), but I imagine it is quite hard to get a good high price. Please don't let the rude people discourage you from doing something nice ^-^.
I'm not even gonna go into the whole "stealing" part because that's just down right wrong >.<" ~dafuqiswrongwithpeople~

I always tip... Idk I just feel like people who add a ton of friend codes and open their gates and trust people who come in deserve some compensation for their efforts. Like if you're letting me in to make a 3.5 million profit off your turnips, I only feel like it's natural to give them like 10%.

I always read rules and keep up with the thread and apologize profusely if I break a rule that wasn't stated. One time I didn't know she didn't want people going to the ABD, so I just said sorry and ran back and threw my bells in the boxes.

In any fandom you're gonna have the rude jerks that destroy things and be mean to someone who's just trying to do a favor for others.

I don't believe high tips should be required, or at least call it something else. A tip is giving bells /money because somebody wants to tip you for helping out, not really a mandatory thing. Maybe call it your fee for people coming to your town?
haha not sure how to phrase that better but basically if something is a mandatory fee then it's not really a tip anymore.
But if people have problems with your rules they should just ignore your post and go elsewhere to sell

I don't believe high tips should be required, or at least call it something else. A tip is giving bells /money because somebody wants to tip you for helping out, not really a mandatory thing. Maybe call it your fee for people coming to your town?
haha not sure how to phrase that better but basically if something is a mandatory fee then it's not really a tip anymore.
But if people have problems with your rules they should just ignore your post and go elsewhere to sell

But don't some places have mandatory staff tips on the bill? :b (Like restaurants/bars) I think 'fee' is only an apt term if the rate is fixed.

I feel selfish, but I'll admit to wanting tips. I've never required it, though. I think I've only sold turnips in someone else's town once, and they were very generous. I literally had my closet full, and they patiently waited for me until I was completely finished. Each time I made a few trips, I would drop off multiple 99K bags next to her. I ended up tipping over a million, but I still think she deserved more. 0-0

I never really require tips, but I think they're really nice, especially if someone is going to be selling a LOOTTT.
I had a girl in my town for 2-3 hours selling 4 lockers worth of turnips. I didn't rush them and just waited until they were done. She asked right when I was wrapping up but said "I'll tip really nicely!" so I was like "ok sure whatever."
They tipped me 5 bamboo shoots and an ultra machine and left.

I agree with what most people have said in this thread. I always leave tips to turnip sellers whenever they allow me to come over. It just doesn't feel right for me to just walk away without giving something back.
On the other hand, I have never had a huge turnip spike worth making a thread about.. and based off of this rant I'm not sure if I would want to make a thread if I ever get one.

But don't some places have mandatory staff tips on the bill? :b (Like restaurants/bars) I think 'fee' is only an apt term if the rate is fixed.

only for large parties, usually, else they are a bad establishment.
i agree, you should not call it a tip if it is mandatory. the idea of a tip is a gift of generosity for someone that did a good job. if it is mandatory, it defeats the purpose of it even being called a tip.

that being said, you hosts are great people. but the second i see "tip required" i go elsewhere... :/

I hosted this big sale for 2 days straight putting a lot of time and effort into it. In general I had great fun doing a turnip sale in my town. I had a price over 600 and people were eager to sell in my town. I met great people but also very rude ones, got amazing and modest tips. But there was this one thing that actually got me a bit offended.
Two days after the sale I got my first message: 'Time travel back for me so I can sell my turnips'
In total I think I received around 6 of these messages.

I don't really mind if people leave a tip or not, but if you aren't already (I'll assume you are) stating in your thread that a fee is required to enter your town, you probably should. If you wait 'till the last minute it might tick them off. To be honest, I think you'd earn more in the long run if you didn't require a tip in the first place, because I usually give them 500k-3/4million depending on how much I sell and how much of their time I take up. I'm sure others are like this too, so if the standard fee is just 99k, you wouldn't make as much.

Back