• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Town names and the meaning behind the name

My first ACNL town was called Lawrence because I'm a dumb fangirl basically. But after I reset I named my new town Kenshiki which doesn't really have a good reason, I just came up with it. And the town on my second copy is called Mero, also no real reason. I never really plan these things, I just make them up on the spot I guess. ^^

My first town is called Hoenn after the region in Pokemon. I know it's not 'original' but I don't give a damn because it means something to me.
My second town is called Rivermay, just because I think it sounds nice

I like reading these a lot.

I'd been watching a lot of sci-fi lately - particularly the Alien movies. I restarted after I knew what I wanted and I named the place New Eden. New Eden made me think of a man-made paradise.

My town is called Cloud, which is short for Cloud Kingdom, a symbolic place I write about a lot in my poetry. It's supposed to be a place of serenity, peace, relaxation, and self-care and self-reflection. Because my town is like a safe place for me. ^^

Last edited:
My main town is called Cinnabar because I've been a huge Pokemon fan for the last 17 years (omg, old!) and I wanted a piece of that world in my ACNL game. Like another poster said, it may not be original, but it's special to me ^_^

My town name it's Cygnus. When I was little, me and my older brother has this really neat book about astrology, and I remember always taking a look at all the constellations. I didn't had any personal favorite, but I choose Cygnus because it represents swans, and I thought that I wanted my town to be as beautiful as one.

My town name is Cerise - French for the word Cherry. For some reason, I was also lucky enough that my town fruit is a Cherry! My sister followed suit and named her town Durian.

sunniday! :3 just 'cause i like all things bright and sunshiney (as you can tell from my username xD), and i wanted my town name to be unique and also sound happy and cheerful. i love it and i've never wanted to change it!

My town name is based on the meaning "Home & Away".
Away is a place fictionally located far far away from home.

Mine is Panda. I named it that because my fiance's name is Pandita and I sometimes call him Panda. :p

I named mine Katariel because it needs to mean something to me in some way. The name Katariel represented strength and endurance for me. Kata for katana, which uses the strength and endurance.

My town is called is Galasier, after the first town I made up as a child.
The name was meant to sound like the clinking of glass and crystal, which are a core part of it's architecture and culture.

dEaD eNd is representing my horror themed town. It's called that because the whole town is a maze which the dreamer must escape from and follow the story. An evil witch/doll cursed the town, and the people living there turned to animals.

I just stole names from other things because I like the sound of them c:

Azalea is from Pokemon
Twinleaf is from Pokemon
Celestia is apparently from My Little Pony fml (I came up with this one on my own, but oh well)

Besaid, my first town, is the name of an island-village in Final Fantasy X where your controllable character, Tidus the blitzball player, washes ashore like Gulliver and meets fellow blitzball player Wakka.

Koriko, my second town, is a European style, pre-World War, beach-side city, and the main setting for Kiki, the main protagonist in Hayao Miyazaki's Kiki's Delivery Service.

As for the mayor names, they are completely unrelated to the town names. For my first town, Zulehan was just an unusual name I saw once, while for my second town, Ariadne is the name of the female protagonist in Christopher Nolan's Inception. Her character, played by Ellen Page, serves to help Cobb, Leonardo DiCaprio's character, overcome his inner demons, making her name, based on a goddess mentioned in Greek polytheistic stories, a metaphor, as Ariadne the goddess helps the demi-god Theseus escape the Cnossian Labyrinth after slaying the Minotaur.

Last edited:
My town is called Shizen, which I believe means "nature" in Japanese. After all, I love nature and I'm planning on my town having a Wildlife Reserve theme. :)

My town name is Lyssiria. Years ago, when I first started playing Minecraft, my friend and I created this name for our server. I ended up getting really caught up in it, and created worlds and cities and things- just to play around with. I love the way it sounds and is spelled, so I thought I'd make my town that name. :)

I'm resetting in a few days time and I plan to call my new town 'Riverrun', because there will literally be a river running through the middle of the town, and also because it's a place in my favourite TV series (Game of Thrones for those interested). It was the birthplace of one of my favourite characters who would stop at nothing to protect those she cared for. I hope my town will be full of villagers like that too!

My town name is Felwood, and that's an area in world of Warcraft. It's very dark, but I still love the name, nonetheless.

Back