• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Tom Nook is misunderstood, and it hurts my soul.

I agree! i think that Tom Nook is very misunderstood. He's a very good and patient landlord.

Last edited:
This post was so wholesome 😭🧡 I've never really looked into NPC stories/histories etc for AC games, but I might need to now 😂

I had no idea Timmy & Tommy werent related to him, I genuinely thought they were his nephews or something!

I've never really felt strongly one way or the other about Tom, but you've warmed my heart to him after reading your post 🥺🧡 genuinely, I feel a lot more love toward him now!

I don't know... He's fishy. The second Tortimer retires Tom Nook's corporate empire grows. He upgrades to a full real estate business, has enough money to buy your town. Then in the next game HHA is bought by him and he supposedly plays golf all day. I'm ACNH he owns almost everything at that point. Tortimer was holding him back, there's fishy business here 🤔

Eh I don't know. He always seemed suscipous to me because when you got to that deserted island in ACNH he didn't mentioned how you need to owe him bells because thats something he tells the player character yet none of the villagers didn't have to pay to get their own home. Now that I think about it was mostly the player character that had to do all the work and the villagers didn't have to pay for it.

Remember how later in the game how he asks you to build the homes for the next 3 villagers that were moving in? That is proof that he makes you do all this work for him, because he can't be bothered to do it himself. He knew he would get in trouble for the getaway package if all he offered were tents so to avoid that he made the player character make the homes just so he acts like its more of a worth it package than what it was originally was.

Either way, Tom Nook has always been that one NPC that is always filled with greed. The moment he tells you to do something its always something to do with bells that you owe him. He tries to act like "Oh no its fine you can pay it later" but deep down he knows that he just is saying that because he wants you to pay him more bells whenever you ask him to do an upgrade.

Eh I don't know. He always seemed suscipous to me because when you got to that deserted island in ACNH he didn't mentioned how you need to owe him bells because thats something he tells the player character yet none of the villagers didn't have to pay to get their own home. Now that I think about it was mostly the player character that had to do all the work and the villagers didn't have to pay for it.

Remember how later in the game how he asks you to build the homes for the next 3 villagers that were moving in? That is proof that he makes you do all this work for him, because he can't be bothered to do it himself. He knew he would get in trouble for the getaway package if all he offered were tents so to avoid that he made the player character make the homes just so he acts like its more of a worth it package than what it was originally was.

Either way, Tom Nook has always been that one NPC that is always filled with greed. The moment he tells you to do something its always something to do with bells that you owe him. He tries to act like "Oh no its fine you can pay it later" but deep down he knows that he just is saying that because he wants you to pay him more bells whenever you ask him to do an upgrade.
Hm Interesting
I don't want to agree nor disagree with your opinion because I think it is valid as any other
But I do want to mention sometimes after paying a loan in New Horizons I had my Normal Villagers compliment me working hard to pay off my loans and they say "I don't think I could ever pay off my loans like that" So I don't know I think the villagers DO need to pay for their homes maybe but since they say they couldn't pay off their loans maybe Tom Nook also waits until the villagers pay off their loans and they could like never pay since he's just gonna keep waiting. IDK :unsure:
I don't really have an opinion on Nook, I don't really know what I want to think.

Hm Interesting
I don't want to agree nor disagree with your opinion because I think it is valid as any other
But I do want to mention sometimes after paying a loan in New Horizons I had my Normal Villagers compliment me working hard to pay off my loans and they say "I don't think I could ever pay off my loans like that" So I don't know I think the villagers DO need to pay for their homes maybe but since they say they couldn't pay off their loans maybe Tom Nook also waits until the villagers pay off their loans and they could like never pay since he's just gonna keep waiting. IDK :unsure:
I don't really have an opinion on Nook, I don't really know what I want to think.
When villagers say "I don't think I could ever pay off my loans like that" then how does that allow them to live on the island? Thats Nintendo Logic if villagers can getaway with living on your island and not paying their loan to live there. Maybe I'm reading too deep into this but that always kinda bothered me the first time when I played AC.

When villagers say "I don't think I could ever pay off my loans like that" then how does that allow them to live on the island? Thats Nintendo Logic if villagers can getaway with living on your island and not paying their loan to live there. Maybe I'm reading too deep into this but that always kinda bothered me the first time when I played AC.
Yeahhh that does make sense especially since I've had villagers say numerous dialog that implies they are quite poor(I'm assuming they earn bells from fishing and bug catching)
I don't have any guesses on that now that you mention it.

I admit, I used to dislike him, but like Isabelle he's always kind. It also doesn't hurt that he's cute and cuddly-looking. 🤗

I think people hate him because of this generalization
Capitalism = Evil.
Tom Nook = Capitalist.
Tom Nook = Evil

In all honesty, it was annoying to have to work for Tom Nook when starting a new town, but he isn't really a bad guy.

You arrive to a new town with no items and no money to your name. For some odd reason, you think you can just grab a house, despite the fact that not only do you have no liquid assets or money, but you also have no job.

Here comes Tom Nook. Successful business man. He not only gives you a part time job on the spot no questions ask, but he also gives you a mortgage loan despite you having no credit score, no money, no job, nothing. And this isn't just any mortgage loan, this is straight out of a fairytale. 0% APR (No interest) and infinite month, any amount payback plan.... Basically, you can live the rest of your life for free in the starter house.

And thanks to his successful retail business, he is able to pay you large amounts of money for your pawned goods which allows you to sustain your mortgage loans.

Tom Nook takes care of home expansions, and adds the expenses to another 0% APR infinite-month payback loan.

The guy is an all around upstanding man.

Back