• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Tips to make Skyrim on Switch feel new again?

Matt0106

Dawn of a New Day
Bells
Switch
2774-4281-4324
Yellow Crescent Moon
Blue Crescent Moon
International Space Cetacean Star Fragment
Blue Crescent Moon
Yellow Crescent Moon
White Star Fragment
Yellow Star Fragment
Shooting Star
Yellow Star Fragment
White Star Fragment
I reallyyyyyy want to play Skyrim again, as it's one of my most beloved games. I have it on Switch, and I really want to experience it in a fresh new way. I've done Archery as a thief and assassin, and I've done the whole sword and shield thing (using the Master Sword was great, won't lie). Anyone got any tips on any unique play-styles, or how to make the game harder aside from difficulty? :)

As for houses, I usually just bought the Falkreath one from Hearthfire and the Proudspire Manor in Solitude. Does anyone have any recommendations for houses as well?

1) Pick a race you normally don't, read their lore and get a solid feel for the type of person you will be roleplaying.

2) Be a Spellblade (1h + Destruction Magic) or (1h + Conjuration)

3) Pick a follower. This person is your dearest friend for reasons you shall decide for your character. Maybe you grew up together? Maybe they saved your life once? Who knows...what is important is that you CANNOT let them die, and CANNOT abandon them.

However, if misfortune strikes and they should fall--
* You must give them a "burial" near a landmark you can easily find.
* When passing this lamdmark you must leave flowers.
* You are emotionally damaged by your loss and cannot use a follower for the rest of the game save for instances that quests force one upon you temporarily.
-Perhaps loss causes you to turn to unsavory means to dull the pain? Congrats, you are addicted. You must be under the influence of skooma or stinking drunk while you adventure at least twice per in game week!

4) Marriage - Pick a marriage candidate you have never chosen before. Visit at least twice per skyrim month to do your spousely duties, including chores aroind the house...and speaking of houses...

5) House - You may only live in a Hearthfire home that you built with your own two hands!

* Steward - Such a fine home needs tending while you are off brutally murdering dragons! Maybe you want to give a second chance to a person seeking redemption? Maybe you just like having a hold over someone who owes you? Either way, Illia is your choice. Liberate her from her Hagraven cult and put her to honest (or not) employment defending your hearth, home, and hunny bunny! (Illia can be found in Darklight Tower behind Riften. Don't do this mission until your home is built and you feel prepared to fight hagravens! You MAY leave your best friend behind temporaeily just long enough to assign her as steward.)

6) Survival - We can't access true survival mode here, bit consistently ensure that you eat, sleep, and drink!

I could toss more in here if you wish, but this should.maybe give you some things to noodle over. The trick to it all is not approaching thr beginning of the game with thr attitude of a person who has played these quests a million times, but really getting into the mindset of how this character you have created would respond to all of these things happening to them.

Hope this helps! TTFN!

I feel without mods that's hard to do and the switch version is all about the luxury of being able to play skyrim in handheld form.

I'll +1 picking a race that you haven't before, that helps.

Pick a lot of the options you didn't last time through all the storylines.

1) Pick a race you normally don't, read their lore and get a solid feel for the type of person you will be roleplaying.

3) Pick a follower. This person is your dearest friend for reasons you shall decide for your character. Maybe you grew up together? Maybe they saved your life once? Who knows...what is important is that you CANNOT let them die, and CANNOT abandon them.

* You are emotionally damaged by your loss and cannot use a follower for the rest of the game save for instances that quests force one upon you temporarily.
-Perhaps loss causes you to turn to unsavory means to dull the pain? Congrats, you are addicted. You must be under the influence of skooma or stinking drunk while you adventure at least twice per in game week!

4) Marriage - Pick a marriage candidate you have never chosen before. Visit at least twice per skyrim month to do your spousely duties, including chores aroind the house...and speaking of houses...

5) House - You may only live in a Hearthfire home that you built with your own two hands!

* Steward - Such a fine home needs tending while you are off brutally murdering dragons! Maybe you want to give a second chance to a person seeking redemption? Maybe you just like having a hold over someone who owes you? Either way, Illia is your choice. Liberate her from her Hagraven cult and put her to honest (or not) employment defending your hearth, home, and hunny bunny! (Illia can be found in Darklight Tower behind Riften. Don't do this mission until your home is built and you feel prepared to fight hagravens! You MAY leave your best friend behind temporaeily just long enough to assign her as steward.)

6) Survival - We can't access true survival mode here, bit consistently ensure that you eat, sleep, and drink!

I could toss more in here if you wish, but this should.maybe give you some things to noodle over. The trick to it all is not approaching thr beginning of the game with thr attitude of a person who has played these quests a million times, but really getting into the mindset of how this character you have created would respond to all of these things happening to them.

Hope this helps! TTFN!

Thank you for all this! I've always heard the roleplaying can make Vanilla Skyrim feel at least somewhat fresh when you add in factors such as these.

I'm a sucker for getting lore-deep into a character, so I will definitely try these out. Thank you for your help, since I know there are many limitations. Hopefully one day I'll get a PC and I'll be able to play with mods :)
Post automatically merged:

Hope this helps! TTFN!

Oh also as well as this, while making my house, where should I stay temporarily? Or I stay at inns only? Stay at homes of those who've I have maybe aided? Or maybe find or maybe find one of those abandoned places like the Alchemist's Shack?

Last edited:
Thank you for all this! I've always heard the roleplaying can make Vanilla Skyrim feel at least somewhat fresh when you add in factors such as these.

I'm a sucker for getting lore-deep into a character, so I will definitely try these out. Thank you for your help, since I know there are many limitations. Hopefully one day I'll get a PC and I'll be able to play with mods :)

Oh also as well as this, while making my house, where should I stay temporarily? Or I stay at inns only? Stay at homes of those who've I have maybe aided? Or maybe find or maybe find one of those abandoned places like the Alchemist's Shack?
Definately make use of inns! If you check into one, try factoring in your survival rules. Order a food and drink before resting. Maybe listen to a bard song or two! :)

If you have the key to a house of someone you have helped and it gives you access to a bed, you can, but of no bed is available to you there you can make use of their hearth for some cooking road rations. Grilled salmon, chicken, and venison, as well as grilled leeks are great to use for this!

Abandoned places are acceptable, but roleplay extreme caution with these. Maybe set up runes near entrances and exits. After all, this is Skyrim. If its not bandits lusting after you gear and your gold, it could be undead skulking while you sleep to rob you of your very life!

Also: You may consider a no fast travel rule. For me, a lot of the most story building moments happen during random encounters, also for me anyways, it's easier to work out in your head when you should ear, sleep, and rest if you actually appreciate how far you are travelling. :)

Last edited:
Back