• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

thoughts on temtem?

dorohedoros

Little Pistol
Bells
Switch
5629-1940-4109
Pear (Fruit)
Tasty Cake
Winter Mittens
temtem is a game similar to pokemon, being that you capture cute lil' critters and battle, train and trade them! but the game shows a lot of promise, despite being in early access only for a few days. of course, it's far from complete. not even half of the planned temtem are in yet, and the map is expanding and such.

but i got it on launch day, despite the craziness of launches for mmo's. i'm really in love with it! anyone else play this or have thoughts on it?​

Yo to me it looks like it'd be pretty enjoyable! Pokemon isnt the first turn-based fighting game with collection of monsters and it won't be the last. I'm considering getting it after it's running smoothly, but for it still being early access it looks super cool!

I think it looks enjoyable, but I'm holding out until the full version is available since, well, I've been on Steam long enough to know early access is a gamble.

I'm hoping with how much attention its getting that it'll be the game to compete with Pokemon and get them to 'pull their socks up'. On the other hand, I'm unsure how much of the hype is legit, or whether its just news sites posting about it enough to make it seem as though there's a lot of attention.

Pokemon isnt the first turn-based fighting game with collection of monsters and it won't be the last.

I always loved Digimon and lowkey wish it was the more popular of the two. I think the fact they never really stuck to a single type of game for Digimon is what hurt it the most since "back in the day" it was near as popular as Pokemon. Some of the games are brilliant, but going from monster raising/town building to typical JRPG, not to mention all those weird ones like the Diablo game, the Tamagotchi it originated from...Pokemon has its fair share of different spin offs, but I don't even know which games are supposed to be Digimon's mainline titles.

Medabots was cool too. Really wish that series got some more attention. Having a little robot friend that you change parts of and customise was in the same realm as Pokemon but different enough. Couple of games have done something similar, but not what a good Medabots game could have been.

Monster Rancher was again cool. The TV series was a little lame, but I had the PS1 game and that was great. I can see why it didn't last though. Outside its premise of unlocking monsters by using actual CDs, it wasn't particularly unique, and that premise was destined to become outdated with no real way of updating it save for changing the concept entirely.

Any others I can think of were usually good ideas horribly executed. I'm surprised there aren't more "me and my monster friend(s)" games since its open to so much creativity than people would first think.

I only saw some clips of it on YouTube, not sure what I should think about it yet, looks so far not that bad. I heard it will coming out 2021 on the Switch (correct me if I'm wrong here), so maybe I will give it a try then.

Someone showed me the trailer for TemTem the other day and I...didn't like it. The creature designs look very generic and a little too much like something you'd see in like a children's book or something than anything I'd actually want to go out and capture. With Pok?mon, I can see some creativity and reasoning behind designs, but I can't say the same for TemTem. After clicking on this thread, I went and looked at some gameplay and was underwhelmed. TemTem doesn't really look like it's something I'm ever going to bother with.

I feel I'm fairly well covered in terms of turn-based monster collection/fighting games anyway. There's Pok?mon games, both current and past generations, as well as numerous Shin Megami Tensei games to keep me occupied in this department. I also find Digimon Cyber Sleuth fairly appealing after watching a person I've followed for numerous years stream it a while back, though I haven't actually bothered to purchase that one yet.

I don't find the designs very interesting, and I'm not into MMOs, but I hope it does well. Monster collecting games will probably always appeal to me, so hopefully it inspires more Pokemon competitors.

From the looks of it, I don’t think it’ll be worth the $30. I’ll wait for a sale before purchasing.

- - - Post Merge - - -

From the looks of it, I don?t think it?ll be worth the $30. I?ll wait for a sale before purchasing.

it looks cute but doesn’t entirely seem like the game for me lol

Last edited:
I've watched a lot of gameplay and it looks neat. The Temtem designs are kind of plain but they're likeable in their own way. It's also neat that they added a fanmade Pokemon into the game.

A couple friends and I have been playing temtem for about a week now! It's a great game (although still early access, so unfinished)
I can't believe I've never heard about it before, but I really enjoy it! I even caught a luma raiber in the saipark a few nights ago :3
Also a new update is supposed to come this month~

I've been keeping my eye on it since I first heard about it. Waiting for a finished version of Switch, though. Can't really play a game like this on PC or console. Everything about this says "play me on a handheld". So...that's what I'm waiting for...

I played it a couple months ago, and while it seemed ok, I just found it a bit subpar. They never really explain the typing system to you properly aside from the 3 starter types, at least not to where I got up to, and the pokemon just looked kind of basic to me and I never really fell in love with any of their designs. The art style of the whole game in general also did not appeal to me very much, and looked extremely basic and lacked any sort of unique style or flair. I know a lot of people swear by temtem and grind it out constantly, but until it's out of beta/early access, i'd rather not touch it again unless a friend really wants me to play it with them. And just incase this comes up as a question for some reason, no, i'm not just comparing it to the super high standards pokemon, as I have actually fully played through and enjoyed a couple of other lesser known pokemon style games before.

I really want to try it but I think it's only on windows? Hopefully they release this on other platforms soon

I’m mildly interested but at the same time I’m skeptical about it. I’ve seen a lot of glowing reviews BUT at the same time these often come from people who utterly bash the newest Pokémon games. I’ve watched gameplay of it and: it looks intriguing but the mons just look kinda bootleg (there’s a duck who’s had SOME inspiration from farfetch’d) and the plots seem a bit similar. Plus I’ve never been too keen on the whole “let’s flip around what peeps don’t like ooh we’re sooooo subversive” angle I’ve seen (seriously-EVERYTHING about the rival from the fact that ya can’t win the first match against his cool sleek unique mon to him having an equivalent to a shiny Pokémon (I think they’re called lumas just screams look at me I’m cooler than the other guys). Still, if the pricing on the final game is not terrible I’ll try it out.

temtem is a game similar to pokemon, being that you capture cute lil' critters and battle, train and trade them! but the game shows a lot of promise, despite being in early access only for a few days. of course, it's far from complete. not even half of the planned temtem are in yet, and the map is expanding and such.

but i got it on launch day, despite the craziness of launches for mmo's. i'm really in love with it! anyone else play this or have thoughts on it?​

I have it on steam but never played it due to my partner being too busy (and me too to be fair) but it looks really good, I play pokemon mmo which is basically heartgold multiplayer and if it's anything like that then I know i'm sold and it's going to be a fair time sink.

What is your favourite pokemon game? I hope temtem matches up because I'm looking to play it with my partner within the week, give pokemmo a break and go for the full fledged 3D alternative!

I played it when it launched in early access. It was fun, but I am waiting until full release before I get back into it.

I looked into it a little but not really going for it after reading reviews. I am keeping my eye on coromon that is about to release instead and im waiting for more info on kindred fates that is kickstarter funded which are also pokemon like games.
-----------edit
coromon has a demo I played some, its ok.. relooking at TemTem. Spouse wants to try it out.
Still keeping my eye out on Kindred Fates and considering getting (the newer) Nexomon in the far future.

Last edited:
i was pretty happy with the gameplay. smooth menus, movement, performance, decent level of challenge, good maps/zones, nice take on pokemon combat; eliminating most of the RNG and replacing PP with a different system. i enjoyed it a lot when it released, but will wait for the full game now.
i feel the designs are a little weak though, especially the trainers/your player character

I'm in love with Temtem! Such a great game. I'm a Pokemon fan but honestly find Temtem better. They improve on a lot of things that Pokemon gets wrong, in my opinion. My fiance plays it too and is in love with it, we often play it together. I'm highly impressed by it, especially considering it's only in Alpha right now. I play it on PS5 and it's very smooth, it does crash sometimes but you have to keep in mind it is in Alpha still. I think the designs are incredibly well done. The luma version of Temtem (think shinies in pokemon) are spectacular.

I've put over 400 hours into the game so far and just started in February :love:

I'm super excited for the upcoming update where we get to go to the new island of Cipanku!

Back