• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The sales figures for New Horizons and what it means going forward

Etown20

Bells
New Horizons is currently on track to become the best-selling Switch game (only Mario Kart 8, released in 2017, is still ahead). It is currently the 28th best-selling video game of all-time and should continue to climb (source). I think people understand the game was very popular last year, but these are sales figures Nintendo hasn't really seen since the success of the Wii over 10 years ago.

I know some have mixed emotions about this because the high sales figures may validate some of Nintendo's questionable decisions with the game, and those are reasonable concerns.

At the same time, I can't help but hope this could be a good thing. Nintendo values some of its franchises more than others– Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon are the big three, and I feel like these kind of sales figures could elevate Animal Crossing to that tier. I'm not exactly sure what this will mean. More spin-off games like Happy Home Designer? Less time between sequels? Just something to ponder.

I feel like with Nintendo, it's always best not to have expectations for whatever's coming next in a franchise, or else you're probably setting yourself up for disappointment. There's no way to say this without sounding like I'm sour grapes-ing it up, but it's like what happened with me and New Horizons (and Pokemon SwSH, too). I thought that they would take something successful and popular and simply keep what worked and build on it, but Nintendo loves to innovate and change up the formula more than anything, especially if they think they can bring in more players (Nintendo has really been pushing for mobile/PC gamers lately, I feel) - hence why we went from a life sim with design aspects (New Leaf) to a crafting-based landscape architecture game with life sim aspects (New Horizons).

Basically, what I'd like to say is that a game being popular isn't necessarily an indication that Nintendo is going to decide that they're going to run with the same formula in the future. If anything, they could use NH's success as an indicator that being bold and making big changes to the formula works, and then when it's time for the next game in the franchise to come about, they may very well completely change up the gameplay yet again. We may see a new game with crafting, or we may see it scrapped entirely for something different. You just never know with Nintendo.

Additionally, I find it unlikely (although obviously I could definitely be wrong) that they'll make any spin-off games any time soon, since they still have updates for New Horizons going forward. My bet is that they focus on continuously updating New Horizons for the upcoming years, and, if anything, might make some kind of mobile tie-in when the Switch updates are close to being finished, because Nintendo is all about mobile stuff these days.

Last edited:
Hopefully it means that Kyogoku and Nogami get great promotions at Nintendo.

AC was already a big hitter for Nintendo with the DS and 3DS entries, but NH solidifies its status. With the way they're approaching the game, I don't think we'll get some spin-offs- I'm still waiting for my music or rhythm Splatoon game :( However, Nintendo is reducing its mobile efforts and the successor of the Switch is a critical step for the brand, so a new mainline entry of the franchise is, more than ever, going to be used as the perfect jack of all trades to help its sales- be it as a launch title or as a 3/4 year main title.

I can't wait for Nintendo's 3Q FY report and watch how the MK8DX and NH fight is going. Animal Crossing has Japan but Mario Kart's legendary evergreen status is never going away.

Hopefully it means Nintendo will :
  1. Prioritize a new Animal Crossing game for the Nintendo Switch successor when it is released in 2-3 years from now or so
  2. Stop treating AC as a second-thought series and put as much resources in its development as Zelda or Mario enjoys
  3. Find some way to have interesting spin-off that can leverage the brand, and its hundreds of lovely characters without being half-arsed Mario Party reskins
  4. Explore the commercial potential of leveraging the adorable stable of 460+ characters in that series to make interesting derivative products available
  5. Maybe seek out partners for an animation cartoon show that makes the brand an household name just like the Pokémon TV show has done for the last 23 years.

I know some have mixed emotions about this because the high sales figures may validate some of Nintendo's questionable decisions with the game, and those are reasonable concerns.

There are about 3 kinds of players.

1. Dedicated fans who will bought it just because it's the next installment of Animal Crossing.
2. New players who bought it because of the hype and all the self quarantining.
3. New players who bought it because they're just casual gamers looking for a new game to try.

A lot of players from 2 and maybe 3 have probably dropped the game already. I don't think nothing really validates Nintendo's questionable decisions, especially since a lot of us pre-purchased the game before knowing about the direction of the game. A good chunk of players from #1 probably never expected there to only be 1 Nook's Cranny upgrade or all the missing core features of the game, such as diving and art. I for one never expected the updates to be this slow. I for sure thought Nintendo was just holding back the next Nook's Cranny upgrade from time travelers and was going to give us it sometime in May

Money talks, so hopefully Nintendo will invest in the next AC release and try to make some improvements to it. I'd love to see faster loading times, for example. And an expansion pack would be great, especially if it included some of the New Leaf features people talk about that I, who only have ACNH, have not been able to experience.

There are about 3 kinds of players.

1. Dedicated fans who will bought it just because it's the next installment of Animal Crossing.
2. New players who bought it because of the hype and all the self quarantining.
3. New players who bought it because they're just casual gamers looking for a new game to try.

A lot of players from 2 and maybe 3 have probably dropped the game already. I don't think nothing really validates Nintendo's questionable decisions, especially since a lot of us pre-purchased the game before knowing about the direction of the game. A good chunk of players from #1 probably never expected there to only be 1 Nook's Cranny upgrade or all the missing core features of the game, such as diving and art. I for one never expected the updates to be this slow. I for sure thought Nintendo was just holding back the next Nook's Cranny upgrade from time travelers and was going to give us it sometime in May

Game fatigue will probably start this year if not already. Many fans and even casual players often play around the holidays because of the events. Even so, the slow pace of the game will drive even some dedicated players away if they don't start churning out more content. As you have said, the 1 NC upgrade is shock to many players, like myself, who started in NL. I get the whole "deserted island" theme, but for some players they don't want that. Some want more modernised islands. If the devs don't start giving players more options they will lose more players as more newer games get released.

Last edited:
Game fatigue will probably start this year if not already. Many fans and even casual players often play around the holidays because of the events. Even so, the slow pace of the game will drive even some dedicated players away if they don't start churning put more content. As you have said, the 1 NC upgrade is shock to many players, like myself, who started in NL. I get the whole "deserted island" theme, but for some players they don't want that. Some want more modernised islands. If the devs don't start giving players more options they will lose more players as more newer games get released.

Totally agree, from what I see a lot of players who picked this game up as their first AC game have dropped it by now, just because it was okay but there's not really anything new coming after a while. Of course I don't have any official data on that but from what I've seen in a lot of "my year in gaming" posts I like to read, most people liked AC but are kinda over it now or just check their town once every while.

I still stand by my point that New Horizons ended where New Leaf started (namely with a town with two small shops and some rotating visitors), and as a long-term AC fan myself I'm also starting to get kind of bored? I'm desperate for some more gameplay that is not just focusing on events or decorating the town. We didn't get any normal gameplay since july which came with diving and Luna. 6 months later I think it's about time something new will be added.

Just because the game sell well doesn't mean its always good. I mean I know its been said so many times but the game is feeling very stale and boring that its even hard to enjoy the game after you put so much hours into terraforming your island and then after you're done with that and completed the museum what else is there to do other than just wait and wait for the next Holiday event? Thats the issue here.

The Idea that Nintendo thought it was a good thing to release holiday updates, but not trying to add anything to improve on the gameplay is what hurt the experience for most people. I was discussing this with my friend and he told me that the game is just not as good as past AC games and how sometimes whenever we have a holiday event it only lasts a day and after that things just go back to being stale again.

The Point is that yes that the game is selling well but if people are still buying the game and are okay with how lackluster it is then thats already a bad sign when people don't realize the flaws up until months later. Don't get me wrong New Horizons is a legit a good game but the problem is that its lacking a lot of gameplay elements and Nintendo doesn't seem to even be bothered about it.

Totally agree, from what I see a lot of players who picked this game up as their first AC game have dropped it by now, just because it was okay but there's not really anything new coming after a while. Of course I don't have any official data on that but from what I've seen in a lot of "my year in gaming" posts I like to read, most people liked AC but are kinda over it now or just check their town once every while.

I still stand by my point that New Horizons ended where New Leaf started (namely with a town with two small shops and some rotating visitors), and as a long-term AC fan myself I'm also starting to get kind of bored? I'm desperate for some more gameplay that is not just focusing on events or decorating the town. We didn't get any normal gameplay since july which came with diving and Luna. 6 months later I think it's about time something new will be added.
I fully agree. It's cool they're doing holidays but that's not enough to replace what's missing. In my opinion, new games in series should always build off the previous one, not go backwards. I still don't know why so much content is missing and it's really starting to become more and more obvious the longer I play. I got game fatigue and didn't play for months. I've picked it back up again and just focused on designing my island. It's gotten to the point where I can be unhappy with things but no matter the amount I complain about it, I can't make the developers add things so I just suck it up, play it like it is. I don't regret playing the game but I am disappointed by it. It'll definitely make me do research on the next game in the series instead of just instantly buying the new one. Buying the game is your way of telling the developers that you like what they're doing and that what they're doing is okay so in my opinion, it's important to purchase wisely for the future of the series.

I’ve played most installments of AC and usually it’s a game you have to explain to people because they’ve never heard of it.

Last year was simply the right situation for Nintendo. It was a perfect storm. They have the only popular handheld gaming device on the market, it’s family friendly, people were stuck at home. It was easy to see the games success as something akin to the success of Tiger King. It was a pandemic fueled trend. I’m pretty sure that Nintendo knows this too.

It is possible they hadn’t planned for that level of success with the franchise and have since had to allocate a few more resources than planned to its development. If this were a PC game, it would be easy to continually roll out new DLC and content as it becomes available. That DLC provides an ongoing income source from the game and so the companies continue to develop.It can be done with console games, but it’s not as simple and when your user base is largely families and children you may be more likely to try to market toys than additional game content.

I have no idea, but I think Nintendo knows that the initial success of the game was basically a fluke. They can’t count on that kind of response going forward. Which is a shame. However, people know the title now and brand recognition is half the battle.

I don't even know how to do a tl;dr of this post, so feel free to skip it haha

When do you all think the fatigue of a game like Animal Crossing began for previous entries? Do any of you have hard data or evidence about it?

If people keep purchasing a game and allow it to reach an evergreen status, it mostly means they like the game or they don't care about what others perceive as "flaws", "lack of content" or whatever.

To put into perspective, since the last financial report, ACNH sold 587,526 physical copies of the game on Japan alone. Add around 30% digital (the exact number has been calculated but I can't find it atm) and you get 750k. That's nuts. Lots of new players keep pouring in even if some have already left (which from a sales perspective is not that bad). New Leaf reached its sales mostly on the same basis, by selling a few thousands each time (heck, the game is still selling).

With around 30 million of copies on its first 9 months in the market (and during a pandemic), it means that everything is going to get amplified. You'll see, for example, many, many posts/tweets/blogs about people leaving the game because there are more players now than the entire franchise combined. If half of the total players dislike the game and don't buy the next game, you still have more copies sold than the 2nd best seller (and most games on the market)- which is what is going to probably happen, NH success was indeed helped by lockdowns around the world but that's not the only factor (nor the most important one). Future entries may reach around 20 million, and with how conservative Nintendo is with their estimates, I don't think that will be seen as bad result (except for some fans who Nintendoom at every step haha)

And that's another point, Nintendo is happy with ACNH not only because it obliterated the expectations set for it, but because the game has brought many new players that are not only buying a Switch and ACNH, but they are buying their other software. It's important, for a company, that a consumer buys many products instead of only one, so even if someone bought a Switch just for ACNH and may have stopped playing it, they are now able to purchase many more products; which they are doing. In Japan, Pikmin got a nice boost from this, for example- that game has (probably with digital) almost surpassed all previous entries there- WW is bit more difficult to know because NPD doesn't give numbers and Europe wasn't kind to it; but the boost has been noted by Nintendo.

There's almost no doubt that Nintendo is giving the developers more resources to work (or they should haha), because the initial goal for the game was to reach 13+ million LTD and they also didn't expect to have to update a game throughout a global catastrophe. Everything has been delayed since that little virus hit the world, so even if they had tons of content written on the update roadmap, it's likely they haven't been able to put all their efforts on updating a game instead of not dying.

As someone mentioned before, we can never know how the developers will react regarding the gameplay changes. Mario Kart dropped the divisive snaking mechanics from its best selling entry and never looked back, Paper Mario hasn't returned to the partner mechanics of fanbase' darling TTYD, Sakurai keeps trying to position Smash as a party game even tho Melee's competitive focus is still around and he has also told people not to expect an "everyone is here" again, Splatoon got rid of some maps and specials but they brought the former back, Zelda's got an almost full revamp in order to stay relevant because it had never hit 10 million copies sold before and Aonuma doesn't want to tell if next entries are going to be back to older gameplay or if those are going to be treated as "spin-offs" (keep in mind BOTW2 is all the DLC they wanted to add to BOTW), etc. There's almost no patterns to be seen, all series drop mechanics and return them from time to time regardless of their status as financial or fan-favorite success. I don't think its worth to be alarmed or the like about what Kyogoku and Nogami may carry from this game to the other.

It's more hopeful to think that from these sales, Nintendo recognizes that women can and should be promoted and given important positions and that the decision to not crunch their developers just to get out the game early is something that needs to happen industry wide. With so many gross things happening around the industry last year around major releases, Nintendo's NH not only avoided those things but did the opposite. Those are key things that Nintendo must keep doing as a whole.

I fully agree. It's cool they're doing holidays but that's not enough to replace what's missing. In my opinion, new games in series should always build off the previous one, not go backwards. I still don't know why so much content is missing and it's really starting to become more and more obvious the longer I play. I got game fatigue and didn't play for months. I've picked it back up again and just focused on designing my island. It's gotten to the point where I can be unhappy with things but no matter the amount I complain about it, I can't make the developers add things so I just suck it up, play it like it is. I don't regret playing the game but I am disappointed by it. It'll definitely make me do research on the next game in the series instead of just instantly buying the new one. Buying the game is your way of telling the developers that you like what they're doing and that what they're doing is okay so in my opinion, it's important to purchase wisely for the future of the series.

Yes definitely. I still enjoy the game for what it is but it doesn't grab me as much as the previous ones did. And it's definitely because the focus is so much more on playing god than on enjoying small town life. NH can get as good as NL but we just need some of the actual gameplay back. It could even be better because all the updates around decorating and changing the town are awesome! It's just a shame they took all the other stuff out.

I'm actually very excited for what this means. With Animal Crossing soon to become the best selling Switch game I hope we continue to get updates for the next couple years and also maybe we won't have to wait another 8 years for a new mainline AC game

While it's possible that this might also elevate the AC series a lot, I also feel it's a bit too early to tell for now since right now, the main focus is still on NH. Personally, I'm just hoping that this means they'll work more on giving NH bigger updates in the future after it's first anniversary!

I bought this game because of enjoying New Leaf. You can say that I am a "fan" of this franchise.

I am expecting a huge decline in the playing population this year. Personally, my playing time for this game lessened since I am nearing completion for most things. However, I still want to wait for their free updates. :)

I'm actually very excited for what this means. With Animal Crossing soon to become the best selling Switch game I hope we continue to get updates for the next couple years and also maybe we won't have to wait another 8 years for a new mainline AC game

I'm not sure they would take sales numbers into consideration for the updates. They would be putting money into a game that people already own, and unlike mobile games like Pocket Camp, people that already own the game will not spend any further money on it apart from maybe some online subscriptions.

The popularity is definitely a good thing, though, and I do think it means good things for next games as well. Not sure how long that will take this time. ^^

I'm glad that someone has the same concerns as me ^^' But then also many people feel like there isn't a need to worry is comforting haha

I've played all of the AC games and have been a fan for 15 years now. The popularity of NH does worry me a bit with the direction future games might take but I'm going to try to hold off judgement for the time being.

I remember when CF came out the fandom was so disappointed. It was so similar to WW that many long-time players got bored early on. However, NL then took what people did like from the game and make it into something wonderful. The town fund where you could donate money for a new bridge, windmill/lighthouse, fountain was expanded into PWPs, the idea behind hide-and-seek with villagers was expanded into the island tours, having a separate shopping area that was automatically unlocked and you needed a cutscene to reach became a cozy shopping district that built overtime through your own efforts, etc. NH might not have built upon NL as well but I suppose that there is hope that the next game could.

Just because the game sell well doesn't mean its always good. I mean I know its been said so many times but the game is feeling very stale and boring that its even hard to enjoy the game after you put so much hours into terraforming your island and then after you're done with that and completed the museum what else is there to do other than just wait and wait for the next Holiday event? Thats the issue here.

The Idea that Nintendo thought it was a good thing to release holiday updates, but not trying to add anything to improve on the gameplay is what hurt the experience for most people. I was discussing this with my friend and he told me that the game is just not as good as past AC games and how sometimes whenever we have a holiday event it only lasts a day and after that things just go back to being stale again.

The Point is that yes that the game is selling well but if people are still buying the game and are okay with how lackluster it is then thats already a bad sign when people don't realize the flaws up until months later. Don't get me wrong New Horizons is a legit a good game but the problem is that its lacking a lot of gameplay elements and Nintendo doesn't seem to even be bothered about it.

Eh, while I agree that sales =|= quality of the game (look at Cyberpunk, lol), NH is an amazing game and it has been praised as such. I think many compare it to NL because a lot of folks started off from that game, but NH is miles away from GCN, WW and CF. My biggest peeve about the game is NPC’s but it’s (almost) certain that they’ll come back through updates. Plus, Nintendo already confirmed that they’ll continue to update the game for many years (with new things and features from past games).

I’ve logged in over 400 hours in the game and imo, it’s one of the best

Back