• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

The Protect-IP and SOPA Acts

LaserGirlFetch

Bells
I haven't seen a thread on this subject, so I'm going ahead and saying it's safe to say there isn't one. If there is, sorry. I couldn't find it.

Now, if you do not know what the Protect-IP Act, or, SOPA (the Stop Online Piracy Act), fear not. I have a video that will explain the acts I mentioned much better than I ever possibly could. Plus, it has animations to help you understand, which is always a plus if you learn by seeing, rather than hearing.

What is you opinion on this entire thing Congress wants to take place? Do you agree with it? Do you oppose it? Or could you simply care less?

If you are among those who oppose these acts, and do not wish to see them go in to effect, you can visit this website. It will aid you in contacting your representative in Congress to voice your opposition.

This honestly is one of the first bills that has gone through Congress that I have actually felt strongly about. This is possibly one of the worst things I have ever seen. If we pass this so many innocent people will get sued and the reasoning behind these lawsuits will be very flimsy. Also, internet censorship like this is one of the first steps towards loss of free speech.

Less gov't =Happy America
Seriously, we don't need the corporations and the government telling us how to use the internet. No matter what they do, piracy will still continue. It's like trying to make drugs illegal. They may be illegal, but people still get them. By the bushel. Every day.

My friend just informed me that a friend of her's stated that the vote for the bill failed and will not be going into effect. Can anyone confirm this? I haven't been able to find any articles or posts discussing that.

Tis a riduculous law. I just can't stand how many laws get though that are purely unenforcible. Wanna know where the debt the us has goes towards? Things like this. For every person they catch doing something illegal it costs the government money. And most of the time the person they catch won't be able to pay squat themselves. Personally I think intellectual property needs to stop being counted as property. I have a right to what is in my own head and that includes thousands of songs, games, ect. Quite frankly I count my computer as a part of my head now, just external storage that errodes less than memories in my head.

Same thing occured with the war on drugs. A war that has been going on since Nixon I believe, and still no possible end in site. Really making things like that illegal just gave criminal organizations a source of revenue. Does the law mean well, sure, but does more harm than good in my mind.

Unfortunately, Nintendo of America, Sony, and EA support this. ._.

Funny how none of the companies rely on the internet for their products, and for that matter, most flourished more before it was around. This is a draconian law made up by the people who still have not learned to adapt to the new technology landscape yet.

Back