• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

The new Switch OLED model

Is it a buy for you?

• Yes

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • No

Votes: 118 89.4%

• Total voters
I remember seeing the announcement for this after still having a very bitter memory from E3, thinking about how I'm starting to hate Nintendo more and more every day. I know they love money but this "new" switch really felt unecessary to me, at least as someone who already owns a switch. So no, I will not be buying it.

I remember seeing the announcement for this after still having a very bitter memory from E3, thinking about how I'm starting to hate Nintendo more and more every day. I know they love money but this "new" switch really felt unecessary to me, at least as someone who already owns a switch. So no, I will not be buying it.
I agree. It really feels like they're doing the bare minimum to make money and it's just pathetic at this point.

I mean, Nintendo did steal E3 this year. Yeah they didn't have anything worthy of AC, but there are a ton of good games I want to pick up. That being said, the new switch model doesn't have enough going for it for me to pick it up. It will be a good system for anyone who doesn't currently own a Switch, but for those who have one, it's not really worth it.

Since my switch works fine, I won’t be making the upgrade. However, if I was new to Nintendo and wanted to buy a switch and I didn’t have one before, I’d buy the new one.

Also, P.S. to anyone who is looking to buy it in the US - you can preorder it on Walmart’s website right now.

I don't really have a strong opinion either way on the OLED.

For a start, everybody who is disappointed or let down due to rumours of the 'Switch Pro' that has been rumoured for basically the entire Switch lifespan so far basically deserves to be disappointed and let down. People are putting way too much faith into rumours, many with little to back them up, then are let down when Nintendo (or any platform holder, publisher or developer) doesn't release the thing they were never intending to release in the first place. Stop hyping things up that haven't been officially confirmed to exist and you might stop being disappointed at near everything.

As for the OLED itself, yea, it isn't an essential purchase or even worth upgrading to...And that's fine. I hate the idea that companies have to release an 'essential upgrade' every couple of years because personally, I don't want to be spending £300+ every couple of years just to play a handful of new games that won't run as well on the older models. Releasing minor upgrades more focused towards first time buyers and maybe people replacing a broken console, that's fine.

Remember the 'New 3DS XL'? Remember how it had like 5 "exclusive games" held hostage to that specific variation of the hardware only a small percentage of people actually owned? Yea, let's not be crying that Nintendo aren't forcing us to spend £300 or miss out on 1 game.

The only reason I can see an existing Switch owner needing to upgrade to this is if:
- You own the Switch Lite and have decided that a purely handheld Switch isn't for you for whatever reason (replaceable crappy Joycons, maybe)
- You own the original Switch, the version before they revised it and improved the battery life.

This 'improved' dock that includes features that should have been there in the first place? Well, at least they're selling that separately.

I view the OLED basically like a 3DS XL. For me, the 3DS XL was an essential purchase as the original one was uncomfortably small for me altogether with a tiny screen(s), tiny controls and a tiny system altogether. Here though, the Switch screen was already decently sized. Whilst I would have taken a slightly bigger one if given the option, the rest of the console isn't tiny, so the bigger screen isn't as necessary as it was for the 3DS.

I originally voted “no” but I was able to secure a pre order for the white edition so it changed

I have a v1 launch Switch that’s pretty beaten down. The cartridge slot doesn’t stay closed, bent dock (factory defect), and damaged rails (from using metal locks, bad idea) plus I wouldn’t mind the v2 battery life upgrade. I’m gonna pissed if they do release a Switch pro within the next year lol If they do hopefully it’s just an optional dock

I would've bought this if it had existed back in March 2020 when ACNH came out, as that was when I finally bought a Switch.

If I ever decide to get a second Switch for any reason, or if my current Switch dies, then sure. I'll buy one then. But otherwise I don't plan to buy one at all. I do like the black/white color scheme a LOT though. I don't particularly like the red/blue Joycons that came with my Switch, but it was the only model of Switch I could even find in my area that was a standard model. All other Switches around me at the time were Lites and I wanted to be able to play docked.

I won’t be buying it. I am honestly more of XBOX gamer myself, and only use a Switch specifically for New Horizons. The Switch actually belongs to my dad, but he lets me play Animal Crossing. I don’t see a reason to get this new Switch. The Switch Lite I have been using works perfectly fine, although it isn’t even mine to begin with.

I'm not gonna buy it UNLESS they come out with a new Legends of Arceus design that I like, and then I will consider it

I honestly can't believe that we are nearing the release date of this console already, it feels like time is moving too quickly! I haven't changed my mind about not buying it, but I will be very interested to see/hear what others have to say about it once they have actually bought it and judged it for themselves. Also, keeping in mind that I am not too tech-savvy and could just be an idiot on this but I would have thought that screen burn could be an issue given that OLED means that every pixel is individually backlit? There just aren't enough new features to warrant the case unless you don't already have a switch (even then, maybe spend the extra cost on games instead?). Need white joycons though, they look great!

I like the overall design of it but it’s not something that I’ll be buying as my switch still works perfectly fine and I feel like there hasn’t been enough improvements to the new one for me to justify spending the money on it. I’ve sometimes considered getting a second switch but at the moment I’d rather go for the switch lite and save some money.

I hate my Switch Lite, so if I had the money, I'd get this one. Maybe even drag an old TV to my dorm room to play it. Selling my old Switch and getting a Lite was one of the worst decisions I've ever made.

Uh, I just bought my Switch, not even one month ago.

Much as I'm tempted to get the latest model... c'mon. Do you think it's really practical in my situation?

It's a minor complaint, since I usually play my Switch in docked mode (ergo, graphics update doesn't matter since my TV graphics remain the same)... That being said, I'm more than a bit peeved that the vendor who sold me my Switch about one month ago failed to inform about this... when I specifically asked him if there's a newer Switch coming up. He outright scammed me into buying this older Switch just to make a sale. The nerve of him.

I guess I could always sell my Switch to somebody if I really want the money to buy the OLED model (I could afford it either way), but I'd have to go out of my way to do that when all this hassle could've been resolved had the vendor had some proper business ethics.

Thank god it's just a minor graphics/storage update, not something drastic like a PS4 - PS5 update.

The OLED Switch costs $450+ here, if converted, and it is forced bundle with games. No thanks. I'd rather get a Series S for that price.

Not worth it to me, I have a v2 switch that works perfectly fine and honestly OLED on a gaming console isn't a good idea, I've discussed it in a different post and another post here talks about it as well. I'd hate for the screen of my gaming console to be a pink washed out mess a few years down the line like most Samsung phones are (they use OLED screens as well)

I play my Switch exclusively while docked. I can't remember the last time I even looked at its screen. So, no, I won't be buying a new Switch with a different kind of screen. ^o^;>

Back