The new Switch OLED model

Is it a buy for you?

• Yes

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • No

Votes: 118 89.4%

• Total voters

_Donut_

Don’t eat me. I have a wife and kids. Eat them.
Bells
Switch
2550-4322-3539
Island
Tropico
Green Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Rainbow Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Silver Moon Jellyfish
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Gold Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish

"Meet the newest entry to the Nintendo Switch family! Nintendo Switch (OLED model) brings the versatility of the Nintendo Switch experience with a vibrant 7-inch OLED screen, a wide adjustable stand, and more. Nintendo Switch (OLED model) releases on October 8."
- Nintendo
Thoughts? I'm still not sure if I will go for a new model this quick after my previous buy but the bigger screen & better resolution sure is tempting with the games to come (botw2 being one example :/ )

Not gonna buy this since I already have a Switch myself, but still some improvements for sure. And of course, there's always that one person who will find something to complain about thanks to listening to Switch Pro rumours. At least those will stop pouring out for now. Though, I wonder if they have the joycon drift sorted out. I highly doubt they did, unfortunately.

It’s a maybe buy for me. I play 99% of the time handheld so the bigger better screen and speakers would be nice. Anyone who plays a lot on the tv though it definitely isn’t worth imo.

I’ll only get it if people really like the screen more than the old one and if I manage to sell my old Switch to a friend or family member to offset the cost of the new one. Otherwise I’m fine with my current one. It is the revised better battery life model anyways. Would be more worth it if I still had a launch model.

So I’m going to go with no for now.

I really like the color. It'd be crazy to me to buy another Switch as money is tight, but truthfully the only thing that's stopping me from considering it is that my New Horizons Island wouldn't be brought over.

I'm honestly not sure. I like the new design and colour schemes for the system and the dock, those look very good. And I've been at least a little tempted to buy a second Switch for a second island. But the benefits don't really seem to be worth it, looking at the technical specs for both systems listed by Nintendo here:

The screen is slightly larger, yes (0.8 inches diagonally) but the screen resolution remains exactly the same. (1280 x 720 for both). So I doubt we'll see any increase in performance, too. They probably would have put it in the advert if we would. OLED screens in general are supposedly less battery hungry, but according to this the battery has the same capacity and lasts equally long as the old model. That was also something I had kinda hoped to see improved.

Honestly the only benefits I see right now is the better audio and the fact that the dock can do wired LAN for more stable internet. Apart from that, it's just... not really an upgrade, just a newer model.

I might buy it once I see it reviewed, especially if it turns out that it actually is better. But I'm not going to try getting one at launch. (Can we have a 'maybe' option in the poll?)

Yeah, I agree that the "new" things seem kinda few on this one. Honestly in 2021 with all these next gen consoles coming out, I would have prefered nintendo to take some more time for a new model (the current one was totally fine for another year or so anyway, sales wise) and then come out with a big "next gen" switch console in terms of performance, looks & resolution.
And I rather have nintendo fixing their own server problems instead of telling us "here...have a LAN port for better connection, lol"

It does look nice overall appearance wise, but I am fine with the switch I have and so far, it is in good shape. If my Switch wasn't, then perhaps I'd look into it, but there is no need yet.

That is a very aesthetically pleasing console. I love the platinum coat.

But the slightly larger, OLED screen and increased storage aside, there's nothing else that really entices me about it. No additional RAM or anything that would substantially increase performance, and unlike, say, the original 3DS, I haven't really run into any issues with my Switch where I would need greater performance. It's a really beautiful piece of technology and an interesting upgrade, but not a mandatory one. So I'll be sticking with my current model for as long as it's capable.

I was hoping there would be a performance/hardware update to justify buying it, but as someone who plays mostly docked, I don't see a reason to buy it.

While the Switch load times aren't bad on most games, it is really noticeable in comparison to my PS5, where most things load almost instantly. It'd be nice to have a Switch that was faster and 4K, but I'm wondering if that may not happen now until Nintendo's next generation.

Last edited:
Just saw placeholder stock for it just now, and yeah while the price might be lower than the actual placeholder one probably not gonna get it since OG model switches are still expensive as **** here. But nice to see improvements, I guess.

OLED and slightly bigger screen. Minor upgrade. I was hoping for a 4K/30fps at the very least, when docked. The Nintendo Switch badly needs an upgrade. Oh well. I'm not sure if my daughter wants it but I'm personally not interested.

Scalpers gonna scalp. I'm sure this is gonna create a lot of drama in a few months time. $350 huh? More like $500-600+ for a minor upgrade.

Last edited:
Right now it’s a no because I have a perfectly good switch already, but I really don’t know much about it yet. The differences don’t really justify wanting it although it does look nice. I was wanting a new switch and if it was available a few weeks ago before I got my animal crossing one, I would have considered it. I love the switch I have and unless there’s a huge difference that I just can’t live without I just don’t see the point at the moment.

100% gonna buy my switch is an old 2017 model and the right controller doesn't work sometimes and I like the bigger screen and lan built in. Also... SPLATOON STUFFF! Also weirdly it cost less than my switch. (Mario Oddesy edition)

Last edited:
My current Switch works fine. I'd rather spend my money on something more worth it. It looks nice though.

Looking into the changes made to it, I don't really see a reason for me to buy it. My current Switch is still holding up well and I mostly play it in docked mode, so I wouldn't really reap the benefits for the tabletop/handheld modes of the new model. Plus I rarely end up getting upgraded versions of consoles/handhelds anyways unless my current one fails me (i.e. I still have my original PS4 despite the PS4 Pro that came out, I only have a 3DS despite the New 3DS (amongst others) that came out).

I want the white joycons (those actually look great).

System itself? Nah. I don't need a slightly better screen. My current Switch is fine.

No, I'm not going to be getting this as my Switch is only a couple years old still. Right now I'm more focused on spending money for a better graphics card and other parts for my laptop to help it run games.

Back