• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

The improvement of the own character and customization

Pellie

Bells
Switch
6460-9283-1140
One thing that I love already about New Horizons is the fact that they improved both
the own character as well as the character customization.

What I noticed so far from the Direct Trailer and Treehouse gameplay:

- The hair is now more detailed, which the shimmer and all that (finally)

- Looks like new hairstyles seem to be available. The one that caught my attention was
this one here:

tumblr_inline_psy24r1mY01rl65tx_400.jpg

- The pupils are actually moving now instead of just staying still

eyes ac.jpg

- Speaking of the eyes, there are also more detailed than before. See that darker
blue spot in the middle and also the darker blue border around the iris?

eyes ac 1.jpg

- Didn't saw any new eyes shapes so far, but maybe there will be new ones

- The skin color can be changed, something which was possible in HHD and Pocket Camp
already

- I think the own character is now a tiny bit taller? (Looks at least like it, but can't
confirm 100%)

- The way your character move and walk looks more smooth now

- Your character can now wear backpacks & purses

- Your character has now the power to even pick up an entire fully grown tree and
put it in the pocket (This is a joke fact btw, still crazy that you can do this)

ac tree a.jpg

So what do you think about this improvement? Any wishes for the character customization?
Do you like this changes or...? Also, if you found more new things about the human character
then feel free to add them!

I'm honestly not into the shimmer, and it's really not more detailed than that, from what I can tell. Unless you include the fact that your hair can actually move now, like the bangs waving and the ponytail bobbing up and down in the trailer.

Otherwise, it does look like they added a bit of neck (you can see in the end of the trailer with the 8 characters standing together, and your third screenshot of the player putting a tree in her pocket), and maybe some shirt collar types (look at the middle screenshot with the pupils moving around). The collar definitely makes me excited to see what design options we'll have.
I haven't been playing PC, though, and I assume the characters will be at least that detailed, so I don't really have the most up-to-date reference point. Maybe those are already things in PC.

I've also noticed that they have more "normal" fashion that looks like actual clothing. Most of the old clothing items were random patterns on the shirt model/dress, which looked kinda weird, I usually wore QR designs.

I couldn't stop looking at the PCs shirt during the treehouse presentation. That's a proper collar, right? Not just a pattern with a skin tone painted "neck"? This is probably really unpopular but I would honestly give up customized patterns in favor for more detailed/varied clothing options, similar to splatoon.

Just found this information on this site: https://gonintendo.com/stories/3374...-horizon-doesn-t-lock-hairstyle-facial-featur

"Right from the start, you?ll be able to choose the way you want to look. All the facial parts
or hairstyles are all gender-free. So you can select from a pool of hairstyles and facial features
and then they?re also changeable at any point in the game. So if you feel like a certain way one
day, then you can make that change pretty easily."

Now that's pretty nice!

it's nice that we're able to choose what we want to look like from the start, and, if we want, change it whenever. i just hope there's a lot more face and hair styles. the current ones have gotten old fast. i'd also like more eye and hair color options, maybe even picking a color from a color wheel or something

Just found this information on this site: https://gonintendo.com/stories/3374...-horizon-doesn-t-lock-hairstyle-facial-featur

"Right from the start, you’ll be able to choose the way you want to look. All the facial parts
or hairstyles are all gender-free. So you can select from a pool of hairstyles and facial features
and then they’re also changeable at any point in the game. So if you feel like a certain way one

Now that's pretty nice!

I wonder if there even is a gender selection at all anymore? At this point it seems like all it would do is change which pronouns the villagers called you, and why bother with that when singular they exists?

I like that we can customize our person early on, but the "change your character at any time" sounds like Shampoodle might not come back. I don't want to sound an alarm, but Harriet would have to have a different business venture most likely.

Unless of course we somehow get access to Shampoodle near the start and that's what they're referring to.

I like that we can customize our person early on, but the "change your character at any time" sounds like Shampoodle might not come back. I don't want to sound an alarm, but Harriet would have to have a different business venture most likely.

Unless of course we somehow get access to Shampoodle near the start and that's what they're referring to.

Harriet Bon Marr: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. (she does permanent make up!)
lol

"Right from the start, you’ll be able to choose the way you want to look. All the facial parts
and then they’re also changeable at any point in the game. So if you feel like a certain way one

Now that's pretty nice!

This is exactly what I wanted. I'm so happy at the level of customization they're giving us!!

Harriet Bon Marr: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. (she does permanent make up!)
lol

"Oh, hello there, darling! I'm Harriet, expert at plastic and reconstructive surgery! Tom Nook told me you
wanna have a new nose? Well, I can help you there!"

I think that maybe Harriet still has her old job, maybe if you want some kind of special hair or eye
color and she's the one who can help you out for this?

i could see her having a tanning booth to change your skin tone. lol

Don't know if anyone brought it up yet, but:

They changed the look of this eye type on the female characters:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-12 um 19.38.40.jpg
^ The female version had those long lashes.

Now:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-12 um 19.37.59.jpg

Since this character is wearing a dress (and this is a japanese game and presentation and all :') ) I'm going to assume this is a female player character. Her eyes are of the same shape (at least they look like they're that type of eyes to me?), but don't have those lashes anymore!

Personally, I love that change. That eye type/shape has always been my favourite, but I've always hated that the female characters have to get the lashes.

EDIT:

Oh, actually, nevermind. I think? I just saw the post that all face and hair options are now available at the start of the game and not gendered anymore, so maybe this is simply a female player character but with the "male"/eyelash-free option of that eye shape?

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone brought it up yet, but:

They changed the look of this eye type on the female characters:

View attachment 226334
^ The female version had those long lashes.

Now:

View attachment 226335

Since this character is wearing a dress (and this is a japanese game and presentation and all :') ) I'm going to assume this is a female villager. Her eyes are of the same shape (at least they look like they're that type of eyes to me?), but don't have those lashes anymore!

Personally, I love that change. That eye type/shape has always been my favourite, but I've always hated that the female characters have to get the lashes.

Maybe they're behind the bangs? but I would like shorter eyelashes then present for this girl eye shape, but completely lashless.

Maybe you can now decide if you want lashes or not? Like a new option which is available for all
eye shapes?

Maybe you can now decide if you want lashes or not? Like a new option which is available for all
eye shapes?

Yeah, I just saw that post saying the face and hair options are now available from the beginning and not gendered anymore, so maybe it's just that this is a female player character but with the "lash-free" version of that eye shape? In any case: It's very neat!

What would be really cool is if there are new kind of lashes and you could also decide the length of them.
After all, it seems they really want to give the player more freedom for the character customization, so
who knows how many options you will have at the end for the customization.

Any word on freckles?!
I really want freckles.....

Didn't saw any informations about this but I also really hope you can have freckles.

Last edited:
I'm blonde so my eyelashes are hard to see unless I'm wearing mascarra, which I only wear to church or out in public if I think about it because my skin is sensitive and my organic makeup is expensive.

Back