The Beau Dilemma

I always pronounced it how it looked, "Bew". I had associated the name with the word "Beautiful", so I stuck with it until I heard many say the name as Bow like a "Bow and Arrow". Ever since then that's how I called the name as.

I always pronounced it how it looked, "Bew". I had associated the name with the word "Beautiful", so I stuck with it until I heard many say the name as Bow like a "Bow and Arrow". Ever since then that's how I called the name as.
It’s French for beautiful, but still it’s pronounced bow

I once had a dog with the name, he was lovely. Since the word is French/has that -eau ending, it is pronounced like "bow" in English.

Reactions: Doo
I used to pronounce it “byoo” until I started watching ZackScottGames’ playthrough of New Leaf and he got Beau. When he did, he pronounced it “bow,” so I just assumed I was saying it wrong the whole time and started calling him “bow.”

Unlike something like Beardo where there's some possibility for confusion, I never really questioned Beau's pronunciation. Bow, pronounced like bow and arrow or bow tie, as others have said.

I've been pronouncing it "bew" kinda like "beautiful". Whoops, I guess that's wrong.

I think there should be a poll in this thread so it's easier keep track of Beau's common pronunciations. Anyway, I say it as "bow" like in "bowl," but not like in "bow-wow."

i've always said "bow". i didn't even know they were other pronunciations lol

I used to pronounce it as "byuu" but now I say "bow" because it's easier for others to recognize who I'm trying to talk about.

it's easier for others to recognize who I'm trying to talk about.
I've probably spoken an Animal Crossing villager's name to somebody like... 8 times ever and 5 of those were likely me expressing my disdain for Raymond and Isabelle. 🤭 If you want to pronounce those correctly, it's 🤮 and 🤢. Coco doesn't count: I don't "talk" her name out loud, I sing it. 💖🐰

I used to say “bew,” but now I say “bow”

Bow! I knew a person in school and his name was pronounced like that.
Although, wow, I had no idea that Beau actually stood for a longer name...

Back