• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

The ACNH Rant Thread

I wouldn't time travel nearly as much as I currently do if we could order at least 10 items from nook shopping at a time 🙃 right now I travel back a week every time I start a new project whether its decorating a corner of my island or finally tackling my three characters' empty homes and its a bit of a pain

I think it is more than that. There is so much perceived pressure to make a perfect themed island that I think it is accidentally causing anxiety. I wish we could have a few different non-themed dream addresses for people to explore so they can see that they don't need the same items that everyone else has.
I would agree and say that it's more than that and that your suggestion is correct, at least for me.

As a new player, I went into this game without knowing even some of the basics - time traveling, different kinds of villagers giving different DIYs, etc - and so when I started to see other people's islands, I got discouraged because I saw what other people could do...

But without understanding how some of the other players got there.

For example, I understood terraforming, but I didn't understand what time traveling could do in terms of getting recipes.

For me, my goal was to furnish the bulk of my island with DIY projects, but because I was late in filling my open plots of land, I inadvertently locked myself out of extra methods to get DIYs.

I didn't know this until later on, but in the meanwhile, seeing all the full DIY sets from people who had played roughly the same number of hours just became maddening.

When I later realized what had happened, I then felt a little stupid and then spoiled - knowing what I knew, yet unable to get it because I didn't time travel.

I'm over it now and I had to distance myself from the community a little, but yeah.

The blank island wasn't what was stifling; it was the wanting and waiting for DIYs to complete a "look" and feel.

As such, what was liberating was finally understanding.

After years of having it on my phone since launch... I deleted Pocket Camp. I wanna say the reason is that it makes me jealous that it has so much more furniture, and that it's kind of slimy and manipulative... but really it's because it takes up so much space it's insane. Every time I went to open it I had to download even more data and wait ages for that. No thanks. I couldn't really enjoy it completely without paying so I don't think I lost much. Anyway this isn't really about NH but I'm curious how many people here have done the same as me.

-snip for space

That makes a lot of sense hearing it from a person who is new to the games. That is the only thing that is frustrating for me as a person that started with New Leaf. With the last game, it was all about going at your own pace until the last year or so (maybe a bit longer). Then it became super popular among YouTubers to post themselves exploring Dream Addresses that were super elaborate. Suddenly when New Horizons launched it felt like the entire community was in a race to get the "best island".

I feel frustrated over it because I remember my first experience with New Leaf and how it was super chill and super individual. Nobody was worried about if you were time traveling or not. Of course, there was more access to furniture, and you were limited by the PWPs and the patterns you could put outside.

Little rant: It's raining AGAIN and I still don't have dug up all the flowers from the last time it rained... Oh well, tomorrow is another day, but I really wish there was a way to stop flowers from growing after rain!

Little rant: It's raining AGAIN and I still don't have dug up all the flowers from the last time it rained... Oh well, tomorrow is another day, but I really wish there was a way to stop flowers from growing after rain!

If you are really sick and tired of it, you can place transparent patterns all around your flowers to stop them from spreading.

If you are really sick and tired of it, you can place transparent patterns all around your flowers to stop them from spreading.

Ah yeah I know about that trick but in my case that still takes longer than just digging up the flowers. I just want a 'no new flowers spawn' switch :p I do have patterns in front of e.g. the trees in my orchard to avoid flowers overgrowing there, but they're visible so I know they're there and can't forget about them when I e.g. change up some layout :)

i hate how long they've made the process of picking up flowers and how easy it is for flowers to breed after a rainy day. spent hours picking up flowers at the top of my island i've just left there bc it was an overgrown mess

I wish we could have the little downturned mouth (from the thinking pose or "intense" reaction) as our normal mouth. I set out to make a character I invented who often has a serious expression and the goofy smile just throws off the whole look. It looks perfect with the little frowny mouth :(

It's also just a cute expression and I wish I could have it permanently no matter what character I make.

As much as I hate to admit it, villagers really are "personality-less" in this game. They're way too nice and polite, and they usually just say one sentence and BOOM, conversation over. I miss the sass :(

In past games they absolutely LOVED to talk your head off. They had a lot of interesting things to say. Snooties would talk to you about their boyfriends, Peppies weren't obsessed about becoming pop stars, Lazies just wanted to chill with you and are so moody sometimes, Jocks spoke about school, their hopes and dreams and ambitions (and didn't mention muscles all the time) and crankies didn't act like old grandpas but more like a grumpy next door neighbor. I loved how mean they could be, it was much more realistic, adorable and entertaining. Normals had their moments of sass, too.

In this game villagers are just there to look at and feel good that they live on your island. They're there as "decorations" for our islands (their looks, house exterior/interiors, their overall aesthetic). It's sad but really that's what it's come down to now.

As much as I hate to admit it, villagers really are "personality-less" in this game. They're way too nice and polite, and they usually just say one sentence and BOOM, conversation over. I miss the sass :(

In past games they absolutely LOVED to talk your head off. They had a lot of interesting things to say. Snooties would talk to you about their boyfriends, Peppies weren't obsessed about becoming pop stars, Lazies just wanted to chill with you and are so moody sometimes, Jocks spoke about school, their hopes and dreams and ambitions (and didn't mention muscles all the time) and crankies didn't act like old grandpas but more like a grumpy next door neighbor. I loved how mean they could be, it was much more realistic, adorable and entertaining. Normals had their moments of sass, too.

In this game villagers are just there to look at and feel good that they live on your island. They're there as "decorations" for our islands (their looks, house exterior/interiors, their overall aesthetic). It's sad but really that's what it's come down to now.
I agree, you couldn't have worded that more beautifully. I've been considering purchasing WW simply to see this wonderful said dialog....

Trust me, you will see, hear, feel, taste and smell the difference 😂
I love that lol. I've seen pictures of the WW villagers saying some mean things lol, like I saw one of Genji telling the villager that he repainted the villagers roof because "the paint was old and crusty" and then the villager said "lame!" and Genji was like "wEll I hOPE yOU hAte It tHen!!!!!!" 🤣🤣🤣 c'mon Genji when did you forget your bigheadedness

I love that lol. I've seen pictures of the WW villagers saying some mean things lol, like I saw one of Genji telling the villager that he repainted the villagers roof because "the paint was old and crusty" and then the villager said "lame!" and Genji was like "wEll I hOPE yOU hAte It tHen!!!!!!" 🤣🤣🤣 c'mon Genji when did you forget your bigheadedness
That's the GameCube-game where that's from. The villagers have problems in that game lol.
WildWorld isn't that bad imo.

Back