• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Mafia TBT Mafia General 2.0 - Setups/Bans/Info/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I think going forth future PM games can't have a Discord channel. Discord is welcomed as a means to communicate with people, much like Skype, LINE, PMs and more but I think it's pretty clear that we can't do a channel and a thread. It's just alienating players who are busy and makes it more enticing to have discussions in the final hour instead of trying to push it the entire game. So like if you guys want to have a full blown game on Discord, that's fine. But PM games no more.

Does anyone disagree with this at all?
I couldn't agree more with this. As someone who works during the day and some evenings, games where Discord is used are not easy to catch up on with so much small talk and is about 95% of the reason I didn't play this most recent game. When everything is done in thread it is easy to catch up after work and know I'm not missing any important developments that may have happened in a sea of Discird text. I'd much prefer to play no PM games, or at least PM only games.

I'm interested in playing Mafia. I first heard about Mafia/Werewolf as a RL/online game many years ago when I was a member of a uni role-playing and board games group though I never participated or observed any games myself.

I am confused by all the terminology and slang used despite reading the stickied threads here and many pages of the linked TBT Mafia wiki and "Game of Mafia" website - I'm hoping that is normal and things will make more sense as I go. I'm also confused as to how to work out when the next beginners (nub?) game will be held as I had trouble parsing the info in the TBT Mafia Queue Thread. I'm sure it makes sense when you know how things work but right now I am at a loss as to how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated!

:)

Amanda also if you are reading the current game in play it probably makes no sense cause its a game where we are allowed to talk with each other outside the thread so a lot of it is happening in Discord. Hope to see you sign up soon.

So I think going forth future PM games can't have a Discord channel. Discord is welcomed as a means to communicate with people, much like Skype, LINE, PMs and more but I think it's pretty clear that we can't do a channel and a thread. It's just alienating players who are busy and makes it more enticing to have discussions in the final hour instead of trying to push it the entire game. So like if you guys want to have a full blown game on Discord, that's fine. But PM games no more.

Agree 100%
I'm interested in playing Mafia. I first heard about Mafia/Werewolf as a RL/online game many years ago when I was a member of a uni role-playing and board games group though I never participated or observed any games myself.

I am confused by all the terminology and slang used despite reading the stickied threads here and many pages of the linked TBT Mafia wiki and "Game of Mafia" website - I'm hoping that is normal and things will make more sense as I go. I'm also confused as to how to work out when the next beginners (nub?) game will be held as I had trouble parsing the info in the TBT Mafia Queue Thread. I'm sure it makes sense when you know how things work but right now I am at a loss as to how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated!

:)
As for terminology and such, I find these two links to be the most helpful:
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Commonly_Used_Abbreviations
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Category:Glossary

It's definitely normal though to be confused at first, nobody really jumps into it all-knowing and informative, imo it just comes with experience playing. :)
As for the next nub game, I think it's just up to the hosts when the next one will start, but a nub game doesn't have to be your first! My first game was actually kinda complex but I still got the hang of things as it progressed. Hope to see you sign up for the next one!
Also like PandaDarling mentioned, the current game going on isn't the best one to spectate (as most of it goes on in discord) so it may seem confusing lol.

I agree, the first PM game I played was in Discord mainly and that worked okay, but the current game has just been too much to keep up with and time differences mean i wake up to hundreds to read, and people just miss so much. A full blown Discord game sounds interesting though

Agree 100%

As for terminology and such, I find these two links to be the most helpful:
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Commonly_Used_Abbreviations
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Category:Glossary

It's definitely normal though to be confused at first, nobody really jumps into it all-knowing and informative, imo it just comes with experience playing. :)
As for the next nub game, I think it's just up to the hosts when the next one will start, but a nub game doesn't have to be your first! My first game was actually kinda complex but I still got the hang of things as it progressed. Hope to see you sign up for the next one!
Also like PandaDarling mentioned, the current game going on isn't the best one to spectate (as most of it goes on in discord) so it may seem confusing lol.

Thanks for the helpful replies guys, I really appreciate it! I'll keep reading up on terminology etc and previous game threads in the meantime while I wait for a new game to start. I'd prefer a nub game tbh as I already struggle with communicating effectively on forums and in discord; I'm still trying to follow the normal slang etc people use here as it's foreign to me, being new to forums and all. I spend a lot of time googling what random abbreviations could mean lol.

Thanks again for the kind words and I hope to be playing with y'all soon. :)

Thanks for the helpful replies guys, I really appreciate it! I'll keep reading up on terminology etc and previous game threads in the meantime while I wait for a new game to start. I'd prefer a nub game tbh as I already struggle with communicating effectively on forums and in discord; I'm still trying to follow the normal slang etc people use here as it's foreign to me, being new to forums and all. I spend a lot of time googling what random abbreviations could mean lol.

Thanks again for the kind words and I hope to be playing with y'all soon. :)
Mafia's actually a great way to familiarise yourself with how forums work. (And to increase reading comprehension)

My first mafia game I was overwhelmed with all the roles and all the terminologies, but there's no need to be. Most roles aren't used and most terminologies are just a shortcut of a perfectly valid sentence, which a lot of people use instead anyway. For roles you only really need to know mafia, godfather, villager, cop and doctor. There's almost always other roles but those are the only ones which are consistently in games - and so the only ones you need to really know to play.

And as for when the next newbie game starts - it doesn't have a set date yet. Tom's the one who's going to host it, so it's best to ask him.

@Tom: Discord channel was my idea, so sorry about that I guess. The discord chat muddies pm games pretty horribly. What about banning the use of discord's main channels for pm games? That way it's secluded to dms and pms. Which is fine as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
I thought the same thing about using discord as a PM.... Would it be ok for like instead of quick topic too? But people need to make sure they are DMing the proper channel then.

The problem I have with Discord being used for anything mafia official is that it can get off topic and is a pain to sift through after work and can really get off topic (basing off of Xeno onservers Discord, which I contributed to) so I prefer things like quick topic for things like mafia chat, but that's just me.

@Amanda: We can help you with any questions you may have during the game! The hosts are there to answer questions about the game and we are also willing to help! My first game was Trump and I was a bit overwhelmed at first but you get used to it near the mid game. If you want help, all you have to do is ask. :) We'd love to play with you!

@Next hoster: On the sign ups list I think a "also known as" next to the username would be very helpful for people. Not everyone, especially newer players, has our nicknames or real names memorized and it can be confusing when someone is calling someone by a completely different name than their username for people who may not know it. Examples being me sometimes still being called clam, Crys getting called Crys even though it's not her username anymore, whatever the hell Kats username is but she gets called Kat, etc. I think it would be a very helpful thing for newer players.

Hi guys

For those interested, the finale of the Mafia Championship Season 3 ended a bit over a week ago, and you can read the game here: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/3255-Season-3-Final-Game-The-Koopa-Troop

136 communities, 10 games and almost 6 months. In the end, the townies took home the victory, and Whiskeyjack from the westeros community was crowned the ultimate champion :)

Interest in a hydra event?

At least a dozen different communities this year expressed an interest in a so-called "hydra event", so it's finally gonna happen. If you don't know what "hydra" means, it's when two people share the same account (two heads). So the idea is that each participating community can send one or multiple hydras of two players, the advantage of which is that it's maybe easier to be active when two players are both playing on the same account, and it's also just a lot of fun :)

So maybe your community would also be interested in this. If so and if you're wanting to play and have a partner, please send me a PM on this site within the next couple of weeks. I'll check back then and give you more information. Alternatively, you don't need to, but if you want, you can also go ahead and directly sign up in this thread, which also has a bit more info: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/3597-Hydra-Event-2016

Hi guys

For those interested, the finale of the Mafia Championship Season 3 ended a bit over a week ago, and you can read the game here: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/3255-Season-3-Final-Game-The-Koopa-Troop

136 communities, 10 games and almost 6 months. In the end, the townies took home the victory, and Whiskeyjack from the westeros community was crowned the ultimate champion :)

Interest in a hydra event?

At least a dozen different communities this year expressed an interest in a so-called "hydra event", so it's finally gonna happen. If you don't know what "hydra" means, it's when two people share the same account (two heads). So the idea is that each participating community can send one or multiple hydras of two players, the advantage of which is that it's maybe easier to be active when two players are both playing on the same account, and it's also just a lot of fun :)

So maybe your community would also be interested in this. If so and if you're wanting to play and have a partner, please send me a PM on this site within the next couple of weeks. I'll check back then and give you more information. Alternatively, you don't need to, but if you want, you can also go ahead and directly sign up in this thread, which also has a bit more info: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/3597-Hydra-Event-2016

someone do this with me

Last edited:
Since this is only outlined in the linked thread, I'll clarify that the game start would be between end Sept and mid Oct. The exact date will depend on what you fill out in the Doodle I'd send you.

And multiple hydras are allowed.

And as for when the next newbie game starts - it doesn't have a set date yet. Tom's the one who's going to host it, so it's best to ask him.

@Tom: Discord channel was my idea, so sorry about that I guess. The discord chat muddies pm games pretty horribly. What about banning the use of discord's main channels for pm games? That way it's secluded to dms and pms. Which is fine as far as I'm concerned.
Currently until I get a grasp on what is moving forward and what is going on at work, I don't have plans to immediately host the newbie game.

I think people were going to use it with or without your suggestion tbh. And yes, banning a channel is the point here. DMs/PMs/QTs/Skype/Whatever is still fine, but having part of the game only taake place in the Discord Channel isn't good.

I thought the same thing about using discord as a PM.... Would it be ok for like instead of quick topic too? But people need to make sure they are DMing the proper channel then.
No, I would prefer role PMs and Obs/Maf chats stick to QT. Yes it's slower and not everyone wants to visit it, but it also keeps folks in check from getting too salty/toxic.

@Next hoster: On the sign ups list I think a "also known as" next to the username would be very helpful for people. Not everyone, especially newer players, has our nicknames or real names memorized and it can be confusing when someone is calling someone by a completely different name than their username for people who may not know it. Examples being me sometimes still being called clam, Crys getting called Crys even though it's not her username anymore, whatever the hell Kats username is but she gets called Kat, etc. I think it would be a very helpful thing for newer players.
That would definitely be a good idea! I'm for endorsing it.

The banlist has finally been updated. Permanently banned players are welcomed to appeal their bans, however I am not currently accepting appeals. Feel free to shoot me an appeal PM in a week or two.

Going forth we're going to be cracking down on rude behavior and poor sportsmanship, because at the end of the day mafia is just a game. We're all playing it to unwind or have fun, yet instead we're going for kill shots and attacking people personally. World's stressful enough already, I don't think any of us particularly enjoy logging on and seeing more negativity. Not interested in perpetuating the "Well it's just mafia salt" phrase any longer, because I'd sooner ask Jubs to get rid of the cellar and leave mafia behind completely.

*Permanently banned players cannot host games either.

Just to put down some thoughts about stuff I've missed as of late:

-Yes, no discord games. I think that's pretty much consensus though lol
-I'd be 100% down for a Hydra game. Always wanted to do one of those. If anyone wants to partner up, lemme know :D
-I'm fully endorsing the no mafia salt mentality. It's a good change I'm looking forward to!

kallie doesn't deserve a permanent ban tbh

No, I would prefer role PMs and Obs/Maf chats stick to QT. Yes it's slower and not everyone wants to visit it, but it also keeps folks in check from getting too salty/toxic.
Nothing will prevent me from getting too salty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back