• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

[Solstice & Equinox] Fae's Seasonal "Fakemon" and Region Thread (Art)

Which starter would you choose?

• Allileaf

• Lavasaur

• Sharqua

Results are only viewable after voting.
I added the Seasonal Quartet Legendary Pokemon. I need to tweak their sprites a bit, but they're good enough to share for now. 💚 I also added another common Pokemon, Tapierce!

I realize I can only add 20 images to the front page, so that's sad. I'll have to figure out how I want to continue updating this thread.

Map sharing time!

I'm really into making maps for my region in the Gen 2 GBC style. There's something really cozy about the graphics for me. I'd like to share a handful of the maps I've made. A lot of the images are pretty big, so please click them to expand and see them better.

(1) Acacia Town.png

This is the starting town. The region has a lot of emphasis on farming and agriculture, so you'll see a lot of gardens, crops, and pastures of Pokemon throughout the region.

(3) Olive Town.png

This is the first town you'll come to after you set out on your journey. This is Olive Town.

(18) Linden Town.png

Pagoda Town is near an active volcano and covered in layers of soot. It's home to the Ghost-Type Gym, which I chose over Fire-Type to represent the life and death that volcanos and wildfires can bring to the land. There's a pasture of Fire-Type Skiddo and Gogoat that thrive on ashy brush and grass.

(15) Pagoda Town.png

Pagoda Town is an optional town that the player can find if they're willing to explore. It's the largest agricultural town and has its own farmers market that many people travel to for fresh food and other things. It has the NPC's that check your Pokemon's friendship and EV's, and it's also where you can get special types of Balls and some other items. It's also home to the Daycare Center.

(7) Cherry Forest.png

This is the first major forest that you'll go through, Cherry Forest. It's also the forest of Spring, and you can find the Legendary Pokemon, Florubus, in the upper-right corner at the shrine. Florubus is based on a succubus, so once you've beaten the game and have access to catching it, you'll find many NPC's near her shrine that are completely enthralled. Some will babble things like, "So... beautiful..." while some will battle you in their frenzy.

(34) Twilight Thicket.png

This is the Twilight Thicket, which is the Autumn forest. It's a very dense maze with caverns to explore. Once you have all the necessary HM's and have beaten the game, you'll find your way through the caves and up the hills into the darker red areas where Tiefleaf's shrine is.

(29) Evergreen Woods.png

This is Evergreen Woods, the Winter forest. You can find Arctyr way at the top at its shrine. There's a small community deep in the forest that's initially somewhat hostile to the player during the story. The upper pasture has an Ice variant of Miltank that produces naturally ice-cold milk. There's an ice area with some fishing holes that gives you access to a fish Pokemon that you can't find anywhere else.

Last edited:
I have a few Route maps to share. The GBC style is so much fun. If I ever actually completed my region, it would be awesome to put everything together in one huge map. I think it would crash Paint though with how big it would be. LOL

(2) Route 1.png

This is Route 1, which connects the starting town to Olive Town. It's a typical, very simple route with the ability to use ledges to quickly and safely get back without hitting any grass.

(4) Route 2.png

Route 2, which connects Olive Town to Cedar City. To the right, it does connect to a much later route. You wouldn't be able to get far into it though due to ledges and the need for HM's.

(6) Route 3.png

This is Route 3, connecting Cedar City to Cherry Forest and then to Ivy Town.

I added Bunilope, a Spring-exclusive Pokemon, to the front page. You can see its Dex entry there.

#020.jpg

Bunilope is a Grass-Type only found in the Cherry Forest or in a few other areas during Spring. It's based on a Jackalope. Maybe you can guess what it evolves into.

There are a lot of Pokemon in this region that are only available during their corresponding season, either found specifically in the respective seasonal forest or also in other routes during that season. There are also a handful of season-based evolutions, which I'm hoping to upload the art for soon.

A few more maps!

032D8E37-4778-44CB-ABD8-BD225A1274A7.png

Cedar City has the first Gym, which I haven’t decided the Type for yet.

CEAD4FC9-98B1-4B77-8AF0-D19F4627BD5A.png

Ivy Town doesn’t have a Gym, but it does have the Ivy Tower which is similar to Violet City’s Sprout Tower. You are not forced to go in, but you get Cut from it if you complete everything inside. So you’ll want to get it in order to access everything in the region.

Back before Paradox Pokemon were even a thing, my story consisted of a similar idea: Primal Pokemon. These are kind of like Regional Variants but within the same region that occur when there are dramatic changes to the climate or habitat (something that occurs in the story).

Bunilope has a Primal Form where it used to be an Ice-Type. It's based on Yukiusagi.

Bunilope-Primal.png

I hope you like it! In case you missed it in the previous post, this is what Bunilope currently looks like in the present:

#020 (2).png

Fun fact: Bunilope and Buniwolp were originally Ghost-Type. Here are the old sprites of the original designs:

1681862594453.png
1681862694107.png

I ended up scrapping them because I needed more seasonal Pokemon, and I had the perfect design idea for Bunilope and Buniwolp. As much as I really did like the original designs (especially Buniwolp), it just worked out better to have Pokemon based on rabbit-like creatures for Spring.
Post automatically merged:

(28) Spruce Town.png

Spruce Town is directly South of the Evergreen Woods, and it's encapsulated in an endless Winter because of the power of Arctyr. Unsurprisingly, this is home to the Ice-Type Gym. The Gym Leader is actually not a single person but the Mint Twins, Peppermint and Spearmint.

(35) Maple Town.png

Maple Town is directly East of the Twilight Thicket, keeping it in perpetual Autumn. It's a very small town with many elderly residents. This is one of the main places that the Player would go to learn about the history of the region and Legendary Pokemon. East of this town is a short route and the Pine Tower, a very tall, winding tower with rare Pokemon and many historical, ancient tablets.

Last edited:
Nice pokémon! Honestly, the starters look a lot better to me than any of GameFreak's starters since about gen 2. I really like the commons so far too.

Did you try Equiternal with all of the black wings facing down, more like a Yin-Yang? It's a pretty cool legendary, but I think the more features, the more important that they're all easy to understand.

Crocofrond's my favourite of the starters, but yeah, it is strange to have the next one back on all fours. I wonder if you could fix it by keeping the posture, but just changing the limbs - I reckon it'd look great if Dracodile was standing on his wing-elbows like a pterosaur, instead of having the extra pair of limbs. I think you did a great job of making all of the starters so different, but with the same amount of monstrous presence.

Wish you luck with your project. ^_^

Nice pokémon! Honestly, the starters look a lot better to me than any of GameFreak's starters since about gen 2. I really like the commons so far too.

Did you try Equiternal with all of the black wings facing down, more like a Yin-Yang? It's a pretty cool legendary, but I think the more features, the more important that they're all easy to understand.
Hi, thank you so much for your feedback! That's a big compliment if you think they're better than even Gen 3 and 4 starters, which are highly renowned as some of the best trios.

Equiternal is just supposed to have angelic wings on one side and demonic-esque wings on the other. It was heavily inspired by this Digimon, Mastemon, but I didn't want it to be humanoid. It definitely can be like Yin-Yang and any other "50/50 black and white" concepts because it represents the balance of night and day.

1682185806816.png

Crocofrond's my favourite of the starters, but yeah, it is strange to have the next one back on all fours. I wonder if you could fix it by keeping the posture, but just changing the limbs - I reckon it'd look great if Dracodile was standing on his wing-elbows like a pterosaur, instead of having the extra pair of limbs. I think you did a great job of making all of the starters so different, but with the same amount of monstrous presence.

Do you mean designing Dracodile like a Wyvern? Dragons and different from Wyverns, which you can see below. Dragons have four limbs and two wings, while Wyverns have two limbs and two wings that somewhat act like their front arms:

1682185656537.png

I like Wyverns, but I prefer Dragons, and I want Dracodile, which is kind of like my personal baby, to be a true Dragon. I've wanted a Grass/Dragon forever, and not just one that's not at all a genuine Dragon (M-Sceptile, A-Exeggutor) or just a meme (Flapple, Appletun). But I didn't want it to just be a standard Dragon, which is how I ended up with the idea of it being a monstrous crocodile with Dragon wings. It technically can rear up on its hind legs for attacks, but it's a very beefy Pokemon that's more sturdy being on all fours.

I designed a 2nd Gen-style sprite that has Dracodile upright that you might enjoy:

1682186054954.png

But yeah, I'm still toying with bringing Crocofrond firmly back to the ground to keep things consistent. But we'll see!

Haha, yeah, I saw that you'd toyed with making it a wyvern. A pterosaur is kind of an intermediate between a dragon and a wyvern (which traditionally can only stand on 2 legs, like a bird and shouldn't put its wings on the ground), in that the front limb has both feet and wings:

I guess I just thought the stance you have him in would look cool and could make sense with the middle guy, if their front legs sprouted wings instead of their backs. I tried a mockup to show just basically what I meant, though I don't think I got the anatomy quite right:

Anyway, your idea of just changing the posture of #2 is better for sure if it's what feels better to you.

That gameboy sprite is awesome, it looks so much like the originals in style. =O

Anyway, your idea of just changing the posture of #2 is better for sure if it's what feels better to you.

That gameboy sprite is awesome, it looks so much like the originals in style. =O
I’m really happy with Dracodile being a solid Dragon, so I might just play with Crocofrond a bit more. I really appreciate your ideas though. I should show you my original Dracodile that was essentially what you suggested. It looks a lot scarier though and ultimately seemed too much to be a legit Pokémon. LOL

As you probably saw above, I’ve done a lot of maps of my region in the Gen 2 style, so I’ve had a lot of fun with Gen 2 sprites. I definitely felt like I captured Dracodile in that style pretty well. The only problem was that I couldn’t get it to be small enough to match the Gen 2 limitations of being 56x56 at the max. I struggle with that a lot when I make old style sprites.

Last edited:
I'm currently working on making a map of Vine City, which is a town way up in the sky. The entire city is built on top of massive trees found in the Elder Jungle (Summer Forest). I finally feel pretty good about trying to pull this idea off with GBC graphics. Here's a small sample.

1682468825577.png

I keep going back and forth between making my Pokémon in GBC / Gen 2 graphics and struggling and saying “screw it,” and just making them larger because they can be really tough to scale down.

Ideally, I would do everything in the GBC style, so here are a handful that I put together. Most are regional variants because they’re the easiest to make for me as an amateur pixel artist. I hope you like ‘em!

C2306FE8-CD03-46BE-A62A-D405E89B6AA5.png
33390E16-C5B7-4294-B6E9-669376CAA1A6.png
D2E49039-8943-4925-B51A-514412F6C413.png
135BCEB8-CC4A-4ECB-B9FB-7436EC62462D.png
7A05FAED-EC3B-4ABA-85CC-E1E21B3AE568.png
9F26D41F-8EB7-4517-97DA-899A38546849.png

I've decided to push myself and go all in on making all of my Pokemon stuff in the Gen 2 (GBC) style. I've removed all of the Pokedex entries from the front page and will be slowly re-populating it with Gen 2 entries. We only have the Allileaf line right now, but I'll be adding more as I make them!

It's so tough shrinking certain Pokemon down into a 56x56 box, but it's awesome when I actually manage to do it. I never thought I'd be able to do Dracodile, but here we are. I shudder when imagining tackling the box Legendaries though... I'll get to them eventually!

Out of curiosity, are you planning to ever make a ROM hack for this? I would totally play it if you did.

It’s a pipe dream that I’m still considering trying to tackle. LOL

I’m essentially planning it all out as if I will make it… whether or not I have the time or ability to do it is still up fun the air. I have zero prior experience with coding or ROM hacking.

But part of me does want to do it because I feel like I could make a really solid game. And it would be amazing to pass that to my future children because they’ll definitely be Pokémon fans.

Added a couple more Pokémon to the roster! I was out of town, so I couldn’t do anything. But I should be adding a bunch more this week.

I’d love to hear feedback on my sprites since the GBC style can be tough to pull of! I hope they’re looking okay!

Added a couple more Pokémon to the roster! I was out of town, so I couldn’t do anything. But I should be adding a bunch more this week.

I’d love to hear feedback on my sprites since the GBC style can be tough to pull of! I hope they’re looking okay!
your pokemon are so cute! ^^ i'm sure i would pick lavasaur, cause it's so cute :3

*i updated mine too :> - https://www.belltreeforums.com/thre...ettypink-outragous-gray.616237/#post-10458344
no maps, cause i can't do them yet*

Your sprites look really good! I'm looking forward to seeing the Equinox legendary in that style. Its design is still my favourite out of all of your original Pokemon. It looks SO COOL.

Back