• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Sick of these nerfed bug spawn rates

yuckyrat

eternally unorganized
Bells
Switch
4568-7878-2475
Yellow Candy
Orange (Fruit)
User Title Color Change (Seashells)
I have been trying to catch a golden stag for almost two months now; I tried all July, and it's about a week or so before August ends and they stop spawning until next year, and not a single one has ever spawned for me. Ever. It doesn't matter how many NMT islands I strip down to just palm trees or how many palm trees I litter my own beaches with; I've literally never seen a single one in an entire, near two months.

Worse yet, I've seen rarer bugs spawn more. I literally caught 6 giant stags one night, and an uncountable amount of other rare beetles + scorpions. Not a single golden stag, but all of these others, multiple times.

Come on, Nintendo, I'm begging you to fix the spawn rates. Why do you even care about people bug farming for bells? What harm are they going to cause?

I already have enough problems with this game, and this is making it even worse (and less enjoyable to play). $60 for an incomplete game, and none of the updates have fixed any of the issues we have with it (and some, like the nerfed spawns, have made things worse!), and it's just plain nauseating with how angry it makes me. I'm not enjoying the game at this point.

sorry to hear, yeah the updates have made things harder, like I might be wrong, but I used to never see hermit crabs on mystery islands, so they were never part of the spawn cycle on a stripped down island. Now it seems they are the most often spawns

This reminds me of the acorn/pinecone spawn rates - thirty minutes of shaking trees, and enough fell out to craft one acorn pochette?! It's seriously disappointing - I have a life outside of the game! I can't run around trying to catch a digital bug for hours on end!

Rarity is not necessarily tied to the bug’s bell value. Golden stag is clearly the rarest bug, don’t know why you’re accusing the game of being “nerfed” based on that. It has yet to be a plentiful bug for anyone, as is surely intended.

Rarity is not necessarily tied to the bug’s bell value. Golden stag is clearly the rarest bug, don’t know why you’re accusing the game of being “nerfed” based on that. It has yet to be a plentiful bug for anyone, as is surely intended.
It was back before my hiatus, but datamining did reveal Nintendo nerfed actual bug spawn rates across the board in a patch--I think the same one that cut interest rates on savings. Supposedly because butterfly hunting was making too much money too fast.

I wish that the tarantula and scorpion were rarer like they were in past games (also the coelacanth) and overall I feel that ACNH is too easy for fish/bugs/diving but I agree that the summer beetles should've been a bit more common. Normally I don't have to put in much effort to get them but I'm a bit worried about getting all of the bugs that leave in August (for the northern hemisphere) especially considering how many there are.

How many palm trees do you have and how are they placed? I planted a bunch recently in easy to catch locations and that has helped!

I caught mine on a mystery island. Striped down. I forgot to bring trees with me... so i kinda ran around the entire island wildly to make sure all other bugs were scared away (looking at you wharf roaches!) and it took me forever to get one to spawn. I want to say it was 30 min but it could have been an hour. time gets away from me quick while playing animal crossing.

Apparently I just have to Complain to get stuff to happen, cause an hour on the mystery island just paid off with 1 gold stag and a couple of horned atlases. And, like, 9 more rainbows. I'm actually sick of rainbow stags. Please I'm only asking for a cicada shell (also I don't care what rarity is tied to, the shells being rare makes No Sense, look at how many actual cicadas there are)

Cicada shell, walking stick, horned hercules, and giraffe stag are all I'm missing. The fact that I'm not seeing that many tree bug spawns *in general* seems weird, no matter what they are.

It was back before my hiatus, but datamining did reveal Nintendo nerfed actual bug spawn rates across the board in a patch--I think the same one that cut interest rates on savings. Supposedly because butterfly hunting was making too much money too fast.
They adjusted the peacock butterfly spawn rates, which were way, way out of proportion. I loved having a million peacock butterflies just like everyone else trying to make bells, but that wasn’t a fix you could really get mad at. But that doesn’t have anything to do with the golden stag, which I know of no data mining to show rarity adjustment. I didn’t say no bugs had ever been adjusted, I said this one hasn’t.

But congrats on catching it! I also find when I complain about something in the forum, the game somehow knows, so I can sympathize!

They adjusted the peacock butterfly spawn rates, which were way, way out of proportion. I loved having a million peacock butterflies just like everyone else trying to make bells, but that wasn’t a fix you could really get mad at. But that doesn’t have anything to do with the golden stag, which I know of no data mining to show rarity adjustment. I didn’t say no bugs had ever been adjusted, I said this one hasn’t.

But congrats on catching it! I also find when I complain about something in the forum, the game somehow knows, so I can sympathize!
I looked it up: you are correct that it wasn't golden stags, I was just remembering that it was A LOT of bugs, and that someone had reported on it as being across the board in this forum. (I also was mad at the peacock nerf, but not for bells: I just liked watching them sometimes, they were pretty! Out here nerfing my aesthetics. Smh.)

Including the rainbow stags that I am swimming in: they were nerfed too. Man, this is why I HATE probability. Gambler's fallacy, the fallacy of linking outcomes, etc.

The cicada shell being the same rate as the golden stag is disgusting, though, I'm standing by that assertion.

It is weird that something worth practically nothing is so scarce— the flies are the same for me. I’ve caught exactly two of the cicada shells and flies in the entire lifetime of the game, though thankfully each time the first museum one was caught almost immediately by happy accident

They have no right to change spawn rates in a fully paid for game.

It isn't Pocket Camp where they can edit what they like, whenever they see fit.

I truly miss the variety and general fun of New Leaf.
Never had a problem catching anything there.

Call me crazy, but even if spawn rates are nerfed, the shells shouldn't be uncommon. Look how many cicadas there are, screaming, all the time. Nintendo pls

I've been actively playing at least 1 to 3 hours a day since August 1, and I have not seen a single Cicada Shell. I can literally go outside IRL and probably find TEN randomly laying around. Seriously, I get that some things are rare in-game for longevity's sake... but come on.

Back