• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Should I keep my Island or start over?

Eureka

Stay wild moon child 🌙
Bells
Arcade Tokens
Voodoo Doll
Eerie Star Potion
The Bell Tree Fair 2020 Patch
White Pansy
Hullo, I'm pretty new to Animal Crossing and so happy I found this forum! I'm very split right now on what to do with my Island. Lately I've been having the urge to start over. Reasons: Name change opportunity. Native flowers I actually like. Hopefully airport farther from RS and longer pier. Let me be clear I do not hate my current Island. It's called Peachside, since the native fruit is peaches, which I still think is very cute but I cannot stop thinking of starting over. I've put in 120 hrs and haven't unlocked terraforming yet.

What I have done is loads of stuff for the Museum. I have a couple Dinosaur skeletons completed and have donated lots of bugs and fishes. So I would have to start over with all that, but wouldn't mind too much because I do like digging up bones and catching stuff. Villagers, well I can get them again. Maybe I simply don't feel a connection to the island yet because I haven't unlocked terraforming. Maybe I should play around with that before I throw 120 hrs out the window. It would really suck to invest even more time into the Island and still feel the same though. Thoughts? Thanks so much! 🌼

maybe wait to unlock terraforming? if you still feel the same by when that time comes, i’d reset - if you have any villagers/items/bells that you don’t want to lose, you can always get someone to hold them for you ;u;

I think the native flower part doesn't really matter. Once Leif starts showing up for you, between Leif and the Nook shop you can buy all of the regular flower types.

The rest of the things you brought up though... well, obviously, those things can't change even once you unlock terraforming. Do you feel like those things are bothering you a lot? If they are, it might be worth resetting. However, that's a lot of progress lost, so I suggest thinking about it carefully before you go for it. You can actually change MOST things on your island once you unlock terraforming. Some of the things about your island, like a close Resident Services, may not matter as much if you can change the land all around it and move buildings to better spots.

Also wanted to mention native flowers seem to be tied to ur birthday so I dont think theyll change unless you change your birth date

Tho Id say if some of the more permanent things (ex island name or RS location) continue to bother u then maybe resetting could be something thatll help u enjoy the game more

I personally reset my island and I don't really regret it! If you feel skeptical though I'd wait for terraforming- I had put in over 200 hours with terraforming in when I reset so I was positive about resetting it! I hope this helps you even a small amount
Post automatically merged:

Also wanted to mention native flowers seem to be tied to ur birthday so I dont think theyll change unless you change your birth date

Tho Id say if some of the more permanent things (ex island name or RS location) continue to bother u then maybe resetting could be something thatll help u enjoy the game more
I got roses with the same birthday, before I got mums so I'm not too sure

I think you should wait until you unlock terraforming. You can mold the island into something with more of your own flair and personal touch then. If you still don’t feel connected the island after that, then maybe reset. I think I would only reset for something that would trigger OCD like forgetting to capitalize the first letter of my character name personally. So if your island does that to you then do what makes you happiest!

I restarted bc of the name, the airport and the resident services building and I couldn't be happier with my new island! It's nice to start over knowing what you want and where you want it. Other posters are right tho, the native island doesn't matter, specially after they removed the hybrid islands from the tours. Good luck!

I had like 300+ genuine hours into the game and surprisingly that didn't affect my choice much. While terraforming definitely improved my thoughts on the island I still didn't like my name and the residential services spot enough. There's no way to change that stuff unless you reset so I just did that. You have to come to terms with stuff you can't change and if you don't think you can I highly recommend resetting or else you're just gonna think about it until you do.

I would do what someone else says first; Wait until you get terraforming. Maybe do a whole week of terraforming until you make your final decision. It would give you some time to think if you're fine with how your island is or not.

My thought is if you really are nitpicky with the island you have right now and really want a better layout, then I suggest you reset as early as possible, if you really can't find a way to incorporate a design you're contented with what you have on your island now then it's better to reset now than wait for you to fully design & terraform your island only for you to hate it in the end... The fossils and bugs can be recaptured, but the ones you can't move/change in your island layout will forever be permanent...

I think the good "starting over" points would be the RS placement and the longer pier since a new island will definitely be the only way to change that. I agree with others that you should unlock terraforming to be sure, unless the Resident Services is a big issue (even with teraforming you will want to move it if its in the way of building something you want to make ^^)

I started over because of my map layout as well and I'm super happy with my new one! I made sure I had a plan with my RS with what I wanted to build around it beforehand so I could narrow down what spaces I would need around it to make it work :> Think about your house and shop placements as well to make it all come together !

Thanks so much for the replies! 💗 They have all been very helpful. I've decided to wait for terraforming before making the decision because I have put a lot work into the Museum and my Island layout does have potential. My pier is a bit short but not something that bothers me terribly. My RS placement is decent enough. I'm not sure how I want things to look or where they will go, so that would make restarting quite difficult since I don't really have a vision in my head of where I want things to be. There is a high chance once I unlock terraforming and start to really customize my Island I will feel more of a connection.

I also suggest trying to work with it first. Restarting can be tricky in a sense that it could potentially be addicting and lead to a cycle. Hence, it’s best to not heed the call unless things are so bad that you really have no other choice. My suggestion is also to get a dreamie as soon as possible and not via amiibo or trade, but by trying to find them on your own. This strengthens ties to your island like no other. I made sure I got Marshal as soon as I could since I cannot play without him (he’s been my BFF since NL) and since then, I don’t give a crap. You could literally blast my island with a bomb and I’d stay in the ruins so Marshal and I can live the post apocalyptic life together. Lol.

Back