Smash Bros Shields: Love, hate, or neutral?

Bubble Shields: Love, hate, or neutral about them?

• Love

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Hate

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Neutral

Votes: 17 58.6%

• Total voters

Midoriya

Go beyond! Plus ultra!
Bells
Switch
1119-7626-0996
Island
Sumeru
Perfect Pear
Perfect Pear
Perfect Pear
Perfect Pear
Perfect Pear
Yellow Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Don't get confused with one of those character's shields. I'm talking about the standard bubble shield that everyone can use. Do you love them, hate them, or are you neutral about them?

I personally hate them because I believe they take a lot of possibilities away from gameplay and make it less fun. Plus the bogus idea someone programmed them to withstand practically any move as a full bubble which IMO is ******** and they should get nerfed. If you play against me in Sm4sh you may or may not notice I never use bubble shields, and that's because I believe it's a waste of time and effort, and just makes it less fun. :/

You making us wait to start a game to make this thread. -_-

I don't think they completely ruin the game, but Smash Bros might be more fun without them. It sucks that someone can avoid a powerful attack just by putting up the shield at the last minute. I know that shields bring an element of strategy to the game with grabs and stuff, but I think there would be different strategies if the shield didn't exist.

They're a bit too strong in Smash 4. I would prefer if they regenerated just a bit slower, but this is coming from someone who consistently plays Donkey Kong.

They're a bit too strong in Smash 4. I would prefer if they regenerated just a bit slower, but this is coming from someone who consistently plays Donkey Kong.

Completely agree with this. Shields are way too powerful in Smash 4. It satisfies me to no end when I get to pop them as Marth. Of course, that doesn't always work because of perfect shielding.

neutral

seems like shielding is a big part of this smash and I just cannot get into the habit of shielding. I'm working on shielding more but I'm not getting anywhere. ;_;

i dont even use them i think there a waste of time personally and i dont pay much attention to them xD ...then again my mains are ness and lucas and they have there own version of sheild... xD

I HATE shields... I still use them though LOL
I hate shield spammers because then I start grab spamming and they catch on and change their strategy. It just bugs me

Also when I die as jigglypuff when I break my own shield, is it a self destruct or no because people would take advantage of that? And I don't mean when another character breaks my shield

I was wondeing why you never used shields :rolleyes: I never used to use them, only because I didn't know how to. I'm starting to get a bit better at them, but when I now a move is coming and I put my shield up, I dodge instead of standing there and go flying. I love them now. But they could regen slower. But it's really annoying when people spam shields -.-

the shields are fine, but the regeneration speed in Sm4sh is a tad silly. although as a Jiggly player, I can't say I have much to complain about that, even if I try not to stay in shield for more than a few frames. pound being more useful for breaking shields would be cool though, since as of now the regen is much too fast for that to be reliable

though with the number of shield breakers in the game, I doubt this'll be changed either

Last edited:
They've gotten me out of bad situations many times, gonna have to love them

Neutral. Despite it helping me on numerous occasions, I believe that the shields are too OP. Not only does it recover quickly, but perfect shielding barely weakens the shield even against the strongest of attacks or shield breaker moves.

Neutral. Despite it helping me on numerous occasions, I believe that the shields are too OP. Not only does it recover quickly, but perfect shielding barely weakens the shield even against the strongest of attacks or shield breaker moves.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Not only regeneration for shields is OP, but the fact that you can literally do any attack in the game on a perfect shield and it's not broken is bogus. The only way to get past a perfect shield would be like a Sm4sh super attack, and that would be a waste anyway. :/

Last edited:
I think they're fine, even if I often forget to use them. The only thing I'd think to complain about is that it's possible to perfect-shield shield-breakers and grabs, which doesn't sit right with me.

I love the shields. The best feeling ever is when an opponent hits your shield at just the right angle, and you're able to drop it and smash them before they can do anything.

After playing some For Glory matches I can definitely add some more hate to my dislike of shields. Some people rely on them way too much >.>

Back