• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Sending mails via Wi-Fi

In ACCF, it is not required that both players have to be online at the same time. The only requirements are that both players have the other's Friend Code entered on their Friend List and that Nintendo WFC has verified that both players have the other on their Friend List. I exchanged several letters with someone on another continent while connecting to the Internet only a few times a month.

Reread what I said. The Wii has WiiConnect24 which means the Wii was online all the time, whether the player was online or not. The 3DS is connected 24/7 so sending letters to another town from your town would have to be done differently than in ACCF.

Reread what I said. The Wii has WiiConnect24 which means the Wii was online all the time, whether the player was online or not. The 3DS is connected 24/7 so sending letters to another town from your town would have to be done differently than in ACCF.

I did. You are wrong on multiple counts. WiiConnect24 does NOT mean that the Wii is online all the time. The Wii is "online" ONLY when you connect to the Internet. The 3DS is NOT connected "24/7." You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

I did. You are wrong on multiple counts. WiiConnect24 does NOT mean that the Wii is online all the time. The Wii is "online" ONLY when you connect to the Internet. The 3DS is NOT connected "24/7." You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
No, YOU clearly don't know what you're talking about. You see the power button on the Wii? It's green when the Wii is on, yellow when it's "off" but in standby mode (and still connected to the internet), and red when it's off and not connected to the internet.

I'll grant you that the Wii is only online if you are connected to the internet. Although, that's sort of stating the obvious; essentially saying that one is online when you are ON LINE.

in any case, here:

WiiConnect24 is a feature of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for the Wii console. It was first announced at E3 2006 by Nintendo. It enables the user to remain connected to the Internet while the console is on standby. For example, a friend can send messages to another player's town without the other player being present in the game Animal Crossing: City Folk.

WiiConnect24 is used to receive content such as Wii Message Board messages sent from other Wii consoles, Miis, emails, updated channel and game content, and notification of software updates. If the Standby Connect mode of WiiConnect24 is enabled, this content can also be received when the Wii is left in standby mode. While running in standby mode with Standby Connection enabled, the Wii uses about 9.6 watts, compared to 1.3 watts without WiiConnect24.

WiiConnect24 can be turned on or off via the setup interface. If it is on, the user is allowed to enable or disable Standby Connect mode. While the console is in standby, the power LED indicates the current status of the standby connection, red indicating Standby Connect is off, yellow indicating Standby Connect mode is on. If the power button on the console is pressed and held down for three to four seconds, the Wii goes into standby mode with Standby Connect off. If the Wii is cut off from power and power is later restored, it goes into standby mode with Standby Connect mode off and WiiConnect24 will not operate until the console is turned on.

and lastly, a Quote from Satoru Iwata, CEO of Nintendo:

Let's say your Wii is connected to the Internet in a mode that allows activation on a 24-hour basis. This would allow Nintendo to send monthly promotional demos for the DS, during the night, to the Wii consoles in each household. Users would wake up each morning, find the LED lamp on their Wii flashing, and know that Nintendo has sent them something. They would then be able to download the promotional demo from their Wii systems to their Nintendo DS's.

Souljah's right on this one.

Though to note your previous point once more, the Wii was only online if one has taken the steps to set it up to be online. If it was, it clearly was online. Also, one can turn the WiiConnect24 thing on/off is need be. I assume souljah was talking about WiiConnect24 being on and its usage thereof.

Isn't Wiiconnect24 the same thing as spotpass.. kinda

But Wiiconnect24 had nothing to do with sending letters in Animal Crossing, even when i didn't have Wiiconnect 24 activated I still could get and send letters.

Still think is strange they left this really cool feature out

Isn't Wiiconnect24 the same thing as spotpass.. kinda

But Wiiconnect24 had nothing to do with sending letters in Animal Crossing, even when i didn't have Wiiconnect 24 activated I still could get and send letters.

Still think is strange they left this really cool feature out
No, WiiConnect24 is nothing like Spotpass. WiiConnect24 just means that when you cut your Wii off, it's not 100% off. It's 99% off and that 1% is in standby mode and connected to the Internet.

That's not true. If you have WiiConnect24 disabled and try to send a letter to a person in another town, the game won't let you. You get this message:
RUU_3482.JPG

You can send someone a letter while you are in their town, but otherwise you need WiiConnect24.

Oh wow Jeff I seem to have my memory's of the wii game all mixed up then haha..
Couldn't test it cause I sold my Wii a while ago.

No, WiiConnect24 is nothing like Spotpass. WiiConnect24 just means that when you cut your Wii off, it's not 100% off. It's 99% off and that 1% is in standby mode and connected to the Internet.

The Wii had to be in a sort of stand-by mode right? With Spotpass the 3ds has to be in sleepmode wich is a stand by mode.
For me that is the same. :) search a bit on google and you will find out spotpass is the same, maybe even better working feature as wiiconnect24 was.

Back