• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

(Selling) My dog for TBT

I hate how people buy a pet and the second it becomes a challenge to raise or is no longer "cute," they decide to give it away or sell it. It's so wrong.

Really?
I really wanted a dog so my family adopted one. We had her for 2 years but then my parents had another child.
At the time, I was way too young to take care of a dog myself and my dad worked 5 days a week. My mom had to take care of the baby, we couldn't just ignore it.
The only realistic option was to put her up for adoption. Luckily, someone responded really quickly and adopted her. It was a family of 5; a mom, a dad, two daughters and a son.
I was really upset, i cried soon after, but it was honestly for the best.
Taking care of a dog and a newborn baby would have been way too much for my mom to handle. 5 days a week, she would have had to wake up early in the morning and walk the dog, set up the stroller and milk for the baby, and also get herself ready for the day.

I do not understand why it is wrong to put a pet up for adoption when you really can not take care of them anymore.

In my opinion, she would probably be way more happier with a family that can actually spend time with her and play with her daily instead of having to lie in her bed all day next to my mom and the baby.

If you want to explain to me why it is so wrong to put a pet up for adoption, please do so. I want good reasons to why it should be shamed and why it is wrong to put a pet up for adoption.

^ that's not dumping or being so exasperated (hateful way) to the extent that you just give your dog away

which is what OP is saying

Last edited:
Don't join the Military. I live on a US base overseas and I get SO MAD. On Facebook you'll see dogs be adopted from family to family because "Oh we just had a baby." or "My wife is pregnant" or "We can't give him a good home." I want to be like "No, you just didn't realise how much responsibility a dog was/can't afford the 1600+ dollars it is to ship him home because you didn't prepare. UGH. There is always an excuse. Dogs are part of the FAMILY. If you take one in you take up a 15+ year commitment.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Last edited:
Don't join the Military. I live on a US base overseas and I get SO MAD. On Facebook you'll see dogs be adopted from family to family because "Oh we just had a baby." or "My wife is pregnant" or "We can't give him a good home." I want to be like "No, you just didn't realise how much responsibility a dog was/can't afford the 1600+ dollars it is to ship him home because you didn't prepare. UGH. There is always an excuse. Dogs are part of the FAMILY. If you take one in you take up a 15+ year commitment.

*snip*

"No, you just didn't realise how much responsibility a dog was

I'm glad you assume that every thing in life is planned.
No, my parents did not plan to have a baby brother.
They have both owned dogs before and know how much responsibility you need to own one.

They adopted a dog because of me.
They adopted one because I wanted one, not because they decided "Oh, let's just find a dog and adopt it!"

I do not understand why it is so bad to put a dog up for adoption.
My family would not have put her up for adoption if they thought that she still needed us.
She loved us, but she barely got any attention.
Not because we didn't care, but because too many things were happening in life.

"We can't give him a good home."

We could not possibly give her a nice home.
We lived in a complex where there was barely any backyard and any room to run around and play, and she really liked to play.
Whenever we went to the park or outside, I ran around with her on the grass and she absolutely loved it.

I actually, genuinely, want to know why it is so bad to put up a dog for adoption.
Don't give me that "IT'S A COMMITMENT TO ADOPT A DOG AND YOU MUST ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION AND YOUR DOG IS YOUR LIFE NOW"

Is it the same thing with other pets like hamsters or guinea pigs?

If you have any other comments or complaints, feel free to tell me.
Tell me your honest opinion on people who put up dogs for adoption.

I'm glad you assume that every thing in life is planned.
No, my parents did not plan to have a baby brother.
They have both owned dogs before and know how much responsibility you need to own one.

They adopted one because I wanted one, not because they decided "Oh, let's just find a dog and adopt it!"

I do not understand why it is so bad to put a dog up for adoption.
My family would not have put her up for adoption if they thought that she still needed us.

We lived in a complex where there was barely any backyard and any room to run around and play, and she really liked to play.
Whenever we went to the park or outside, I ran around with her on the grass and she absolutely loved it.

I actually, genuinely, want to know why it is so bad to put up a dog for adoption.
Don't give me that "IT'S A COMMITMENT TO ADOPT A DOG AND YOU MUST ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION AND YOUR DOG IS YOUR LIFE NOW"

Is it the same thing with other pets like hamsters or guinea pigs?

If you have any other comments or complaints, feel free to tell me.
Tell me your honest opinion on people who put up dogs for adoption.

Now that you have assumed that my comment was an attack on you, and not me venting about the piss poor excuses I see military families give to get rid of a dog that has already had like 4-6 homes in their short lives (Good job by the way), Lemme pick apart WHY your family did not take into consideration everything when having a dog:

As you stated in your previous post, You were a CHILD. Children should not be the sole reason to adopt a dog. A child must be old enough to hand the responsibility of a dog before you consider getting them one. They must be old enough to take them on walks and have the maturity to care for a dog and all his needs. If they cannot do this, either get a cat or a fish or at least a small caged animal so that they can learn that responsibility before a big commitment like a dog is made.

Your dog more than likely LOVES YOU still and will LOVE YOU until the day you die. Dogs do not forget their owners. I went away for college for 4 years, my dog was under the care of my family and I did not come home at all in that time. I came home and she ran up to me and loved on me. She loves me still, my family still has her because I am in the military now and she was to old to fly to germany, she would DIE on that flight. And she STILL LOVES me. That dog is a fur baby, and I love Haru as much as the day I found her outside my job. Someone ABANDONED her in a busy metro area. I saved Haru's life.

Dogs never do anything but love and give love.

I don't know what breed of dog you got, but it sounds to me like your family didn't consider the breed of your dog before adopting. Dogs are more than "CUTE LOOKS" and this is something that leads to MANY DOGS being homeless and filling up shelters. Like I have a Lab Golden mix here in Germany. I know what goes into this dog. He needs work, constant training and retraining. He's a great dog but a handful. Haru back home is a Beagle mix. She needed lots of room to run and play. Fortunately I had that for her and I have that for Marlowe (my Golden Lab). I have friend to adopt and rehome dogs like free candy and it drives me mad. It's not fair to the dog. You have to know what you are getting into when it comes to the breed.

my parents did not plan to have a baby brother.

No one really plans for kids. They usually just happen. 9 times outta ten, the person was a surprise. But, when you TAKE IN a pet, you are taking in a life. If things are hard, you don't put a child up for adoption, you need to make time for the said life.

NOW; I feel that your situation, the dog was not in a good situation and needs to be in a home where she would get what she needed, and even though and effort was put forward, you still could not make it work. There are situations, LIKE THIS, where rehoming is the only option. That is understandable.

If a dog is attacking another dog or a child in the family, that is understandable. If you've been injured or your child comes up with an allergy, that is understandable. If you cannot afford the dog any longer, if financial situations change so bad it's either feed yourself or your dog, that is understandable. BUT YOU GOTTA TRY AND MAKE IT WORK AT FIRST AT LEAST.

Dogs take time, they take work, and they will give nothing but love. Rehoming a dog because there is a new baby without trying makes me so mad. There is a world renowned trainer 5 towns over, a half hour drive to Germany's Ceaser Millan. But people still just buck their dogs off on the next person. They know the price to ship their dog off is at least 1.6k. They don't save for it when their time in german is done. The excuses I have seen are deplorable. If you cannot handle a dog, don't get one. My post was about this.

Now that you have assumed that my comment was an attack on you, and not me venting about the piss poor excuses I see military families give to get rid of a dog that has already had like 4-6 homes in their short lives (Good job by the way), Lemme pick apart WHY your family did not take into consideration everything when having a dog:

As you stated in your previous post, You were a CHILD. Children should not be the sole reason to adopt a dog. A child must be old enough to hand the responsibility of a dog before you consider getting them one. They must be old enough to take them on walks and have the maturity to care for a dog and all his needs. If they cannot do this, either get a cat or a fish or at least a small caged animal so that they can learn that responsibility before a big commitment like a dog is made.

Your dog more than likely LOVES YOU still and will LOVE YOU until the day you die. Dogs do not forget their owners. I went away for college for 4 years, my dog was under the care of my family and I did not come home at all in that time. I came home and she ran up to me and loved on me. She loves me still, my family still has her because I am in the military now and she was to old to fly to germany, she would DIE on that flight. And she STILL LOVES me. That dog is a fur baby, and I love Haru as much as the day I found her outside my job. Someone ABANDONED her in a busy metro area. I saved Haru's life.

Dogs never do anything but love and give love.

I don't know what breed of dog you got, but it sounds to me like your family didn't consider the breed of your dog before adopting. Dogs are more than "CUTE LOOKS" and this is something that leads to MANY DOGS being homeless and filling up shelters. Like I have a Lab Golden mix here in Germany. I know what goes into this dog. He needs work, constant training and retraining. He's a great dog but a handful. Haru back home is a Beagle mix. She needed lots of room to run and play. Fortunately I had that for her and I have that for Marlowe (my Golden Lab). I have friend to adopt and rehome dogs like free candy and it drives me mad. It's not fair to the dog. You have to know what you are getting into when it comes to the breed.

No one really plans for kids. They usually just happen. 9 times outta ten, the person was a surprise. But, when you TAKE IN a pet, you are taking in a life. If things are hard, you don't put a child up for adoption, you need to make time for the said life.

NOW; I feel that your situation, the dog was not in a good situation and needs to be in a home where she would get what she needed, and even though and effort was put forward, you still could not make it work. There are situations, LIKE THIS, where rehoming is the only option. That is understandable.

If a dog is attacking another dog or a child in the family, that is understandable. If you've been injured or your child comes up with an allergy, that is understandable. If you cannot afford the dog any longer, if financial situations change so bad it's either feed yourself or your dog, that is understandable. BUT YOU GOTTA TRY AND MAKE IT WORK AT FIRST AT LEAST.

Dogs take time, they take work, and they will give nothing but love. Rehoming a dog because there is a new baby without trying makes me so mad. There is a world renowned trainer 5 towns over, a half hour drive to Germany's Ceaser Millan. But people still just buck their dogs off on the next person. They know the price to ship their dog off is at least 1.6k. They don't save for it when their time in german is done. The excuses I have seen are deplorable. If you cannot handle a dog, don't get one. My post was about this.

Now that you have assumed that my comment was an attack on you,

Well, obviously I would assume that it was an attack on me! My comment about my experiences on re-homing dogs was right before your comment on military families re-homing dogs.

I realize that you didn't quote me or anything but your post was about putting dogs up for adoption and why it's bad.

Children should not be the sole reason to adopt a dog

I wasn't the only reason. I did say that I wanted a dog and that is the main reason why my parents did buy a dog, but my mom also bought a dog because she wanted a dog that looked like her dog she had as a child.
She wanted the feeling of having a dog to come back to her.

At the time, I was 10 years old, I was still a child.
I couldn't walk it alone, or buy pet food for it alone.
That was the main problem, I was way too young to do anything alone.

However, I do agree that children are not the greatest reason to adopt a dog.

Your dog more than likely LOVES YOU still and will LOVE YOU until the day you die.

Yup, I understand this.
I beg my dad to drive me 2 hours away just to visit her sometimes, and she always runs up to me and I get to play with her for a while.
Well actually, she runs up to my mom but that's not important right now.

She still loves us, even after a few years.
She will always love us, and I wish to visit her every now and then.
We adopted her to a "nearby" family so that we could still visit her and she wouldn't have to suffer and tight flights or anything.

don't know what breed of dog you got

Yorkie + weiner dog? (idk what it's called im sorry)

but it sounds to me like your family didn't consider the breed of your dog before adopting.

This is mostly true.
Like I said, my mom had a yorkie when she was a child so she just assumed that she knew how to raise one.

I have nothing else to say against this.

If things are hard, you don't put a child up for adoption, you need to make time for the said life.

Also, very true.
But the priority to my parents was the child, the only thing that occupied space that was not human was our dog.
Moving into a new house was the last option to do.
We could not afford to move into a new house.

The main problem was, there was very limited time to care for her and play.
We had weekends and the few hours after school.
I'm glad you can very kindly respond to my comments because I really did not see why it's bad to put a dog up for adoption.
I do understand some reasons to why it is a bad thing to do, your dog will miss you if you re-home it.
But there are some reasons to why it is a good thing to do.
Yes, when you adopt a dog, you have to commit to it.
It's not just a decoration, it's a friend, a family member.

Thank you for not blowing up at me, I'm still a child right now, and I probably shouldn't be arguing about this.
But it's my opinion.

I know, not all opinions should be said but I felt that I really needed to just say it.

Really?
I really wanted a dog so my family adopted one. We had her for 2 years but then my parents had another child.
At the time, I was way too young to take care of a dog myself and my dad worked 5 days a week. My mom had to take care of the baby, we couldn't just ignore it.
The only realistic option was to put her up for adoption. Luckily, someone responded really quickly and adopted her. It was a family of 5; a mom, a dad, two daughters and a son.
I was really upset, i cried soon after, but it was honestly for the best.
Taking care of a dog and a newborn baby would have been way too much for my mom to handle. 5 days a week, she would have had to wake up early in the morning and walk the dog, set up the stroller and milk for the baby, and also get herself ready for the day.

I do not understand why it is wrong to put a pet up for adoption when you really can not take care of them anymore.

In my opinion, she would probably be way more happier with a family that can actually spend time with her and play with her daily instead of having to lie in her bed all day next to my mom and the baby.

If you want to explain to me why it is so wrong to put a pet up for adoption, please do so. I want good reasons to why it should be shamed and why it is wrong to put a pet up for adoption.

Because pets should be considered part of the family. Let say your mom had one baby, but very shortly after found out she was having another. Would you put the first baby up for adoption to make room for the second?

Animals have feelings. They get attached and used to their family. Rehoming a dog when absolutely necessary i can be okay with.
I don't know all the circumstances around the rehoming of your dog, however I ask you please not agrue with others on this thread.
Thanks so much.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also, everyone else, this thread was not meant to start agruements, please stop or I'll close this thread... I literally have way too much going on to deal with more fighting.
sorry

I'm sorry I argued, I just got very upset when I made a post about my experience here on a US base overseas and suddenly I'm a bad person for basically ranting about the same thing everyone else is, when I had not even seen Kat's post. It was frustrating and annoying and I honestly was mad about being targeted like that when my post had nothing to do with her or what she said.

I recivd my birbs from a felow tbt user here and i must say dey very nice thx felow birb lovers much love to u it was w0rth da 20k tbt

I'm sorry I argued, I just got very upset when I made a post about my experience here on a US base overseas and suddenly I'm a bad person for basically ranting about the same thing everyone else is, when I had not even seen Kat's post. It was frustrating and annoying and I honestly was mad about being targeted like that when my post had nothing to do with her or what she said.

I never said you were a bad person.

also this,

We had her for 2 years but then my parents had another child.

and your post saying

I get SO MAD. On Facebook you'll see dogs be adopted from family to family because "Oh we just had a baby." or "My wife is pregnant"

I assumed that your post was directed to me because of these two things being so similar.
Also, no one else has said anything about adopting out dogs because of a new child.

This is why I assumed you were talking to me.
I really was looking for answers, not looking for an argument.
But, I guess the way I worded it was asking for an argument.

I'm going to slowly back away from this area of the forum because I don't belong.
also im sorry for arguing

Last edited:
It's fine. No one is at fault. Sorry I got snappy. Was having some MAJOR personal issues at the time I saw this. It's all good.

Back