• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Save data corruptions!

Tsuna

10th
Bells
I feel like someting maybe wrong with my cartridge. Today was the 3rd time my save data has corrupted. The first two times were when I wanted a villager to move but they decided not to. So I returned to the main game menu without saving and then my save corrupted. But this this time was really unexpected, I had just gotten Marina from a cycler here and I was going to reset for a good plot location. I set the time to 5:58am on my main player hen saved and created a new player. Marina ended up in a good location the first time and there was even Lucky in my campsite! I was excited. I finished setting up this new character and saved and quit. Then in the main game menu I went to demolish their house. After it was deleted the game said something like "The game cartridge could not be read" Then when it returned to the main menu It said my save corrupted!
This is getting ridiculous. :(
I'm thinking of getting a new game cartridge or digital copy now.
Is anyone else having a saved data corruption problem?​

All I can think of is that the cartridge might be dirty or something along the metallic parts, is there any dust in the slot or anything. It might be faulty, nothing like that has ever happened to mine and I've reset without saving over a thousand times due to OCD plot placement. I wouldn't want to play it anymore if I got Marina and then that happened, lol.

I don't see how quitting without saving could affect anything. It's most likely to corrupt if you quit while it's still saving. Almost guaranteed, infact.

Nope, they warn you bout resettin, maybe resetti got mad.

Doubt it. They'd just tell you straight up that Resetti got angry. :p

Methinks it's a hardware issue, especially because it's recurring.

Last edited:
Doubt it. They'd just tell you straight up that Resetti got angry. :p

Methinks it's a hardware issue, especially because it's recurring.

Ik lol but it would be funny if it was. And then he came out of the game and killed you.

All I can think of is that the cartridge might be dirty or something along the metallic parts, is there any dust in the slot or anything. It might be faulty, nothing like that has ever happened to mine and I've reset without saving over a thousand times due to OCD plot placement. I wouldn't want to play it anymore if I got Marina and then that happened, lol.
I once spilled a tiny amount of rootbeer on my ds, I'll try cleaning the cartridge and try cleaning inside the slot carefully! I feel bad that my data corrupted after I got her. :( Feels like I wasted her. She's such a cutie. I had her in in all my towns before they corrupted. I also had Marshal in the first two towns. ; n ; Those two are my favorite villagers and they are some of the hardest to get. xD

- - - Post Merge - - -

I quit a few moments after talking to the villagers who decided to stay. I didn't quit when it was saving... So I really don't know why it corrupted the first two times.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Ahhhhhasdfghjkl! The first villager to move into my newest town is Marshal!! I'm so happy right now. ; u ; Darn game better not corrupt again.

lol, Marshal is easy to get though if you know how. You can lock onto certain personality types and cycle only through their plots, and there's not many smug villagers.

Sorry that had to happen to you ;-;
I'd say there's something wrong with the cartridge. I've been playing New Leaf with a physical cartridge copy for 7 months now and it hasn't corrupted once.
And I'm pretty sure that quitting without saving doesn't lead to data corruptions.

At least you got Marshal as a starter villager!
Also, love your username XD
Tsuna, 10th Vongola Boss :p

lol, Marshal is easy to get though if you know how. You can lock onto certain personality types and cycle only through their plots, and there's not many smug villagers.
I don't know how to use that method yet. Do you know of a guide?

I think I remember hearing about it. no one ever starts with a smug so your first move in kinda has to be a smug? or you'll keep getting all your missing personalities and smug will definitely be one of them. so you could do a new character reset until you get a marshal. after you get all your missing personalities the requirements stops and you'll just get random personalities move ins after.

Last edited:
Sorry that had to happen to you ;-;
I'd say there's something wrong with the cartridge. I've been playing New Leaf with a physical cartridge copy for 7 months now and it hasn't corrupted once.
And I'm pretty sure that quitting without saving doesn't lead to data corruptions.

At least you got Marshal as a starter villager!
Also, love your username XD
Tsuna, 10th Vongola Boss :p
I have a feeling its either the cartridge or my ds. ; n ;
Marshal wasn't a starter, Im not sure its possible for a smug to be a starter. He was just the first villager to move in the day after my mayor moved in. C:

asdfgjjkl Your the first person to recognize Tsuna on here♥♥ ; u ;

I don't know how to use that method yet. Do you know of a guide?

You start out with five unique personalities, and never smug or uchi. So, you look at your five characters and figure out what type you are missing. Let's say you have lazy, snooty, jock, peppy and normal. So, you now know that your three random move-ins will be cranky, uchi and smug. If you don't care who the cranky or uchi is, you can save the first cranky you see and then the first uchi. Now, you will only be choosing from a pool of smugs, and it's fairly easy to get the one you want. If you do care about all three, at least you only have those three to choose from.

Oh, and if you need to know how to even villager reset, you make sure to start the day (the new day starts at 6am) as a new character and you look around for a plot. Read the name on it, and if you like it, save the character. If you don't, quit without saving and try again. The only annoying part is that sometimes you'll go in and the game won't give you a plot at all. You can't then start as mayor and assume you won't have a plot that day, because you may end up with a plot you don't want and it's then permanent. If you see no plot and are sick of trying for the day, you need to save as that character to lock in no plot.

Last edited:
I have a feeling its either the cartridge or my ds. ; n ;
Marshal wasn't a starter, Im not sure its possible for a smug to be a starter. He was just the first villager to move in the day after my mayor moved in. C:

asdfgjjkl Your the first person to recognize Tsuna on here♥♥ ; u ;

I'm pretty sure that I got Kyle and Curlos (who were both smug villagers) as my starters.
Not 100% certain though >_<

Lol am I actually the first person to recognise Tsuna? XD
I love Katekyou Hitman Reborn <3
Hibari Kyoya XP

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that I got Kyle and Curlos (who were both smug villagers) as my starters.
Not 100% certain though >_<

That's unpossible. You can't get smugs as starters, and you can't get duplicate personalities as starters. :D

I feel like someting maybe wrong with my cartridge. Today was the 3rd time my save data has corrupted. The first two times were when I wanted a villager to move but they decided not to. So I returned to the main game menu without saving and then my save corrupted. But this this time was really unexpected, I had just gotten Marina from a cycler here and I was going to reset for a good plot location. I set the time to 5:58am on my main player hen saved and created a new player. Marina ended up in a good location the first time and there was even Lucky in my campsite! I was excited. I finished setting up this new character and saved and quit. Then in the main game menu I went to demolish their house. After it was deleted the game said something like "The game cartridge could not be read" Then when it returned to the main menu It said my save corrupted!
This is getting ridiculous. :(
I'm thinking of getting a new game cartridge or digital copy now.
Is anyone else having a saved data corruption problem?​

Sounds like a defect with the flash memory on the cartridge. It sucks but it does happen. Call Nintendo and they'll replace it either for free or at a discount, depending on whether you're within warranty or not. If you call them, just tell them your save file keeps corrupting.

Last edited:
If it has happened 3 times on the same cartridge, it's definitely something wrong with the cartridge itself. I wouldn't even bother with that cartridge anymore. Is your game under warranty?

Back