• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Save data corrupted, just went missing

SpyKid

Bells
Switch
4286-9854-9590
Mailbox
Hey everyone, I want to bring attention to this weird case of save data corruption that just happened to my mother, and maybe also ask for help on how to get it back.
So, basically, my mother played ACNH yesterday like normal, and next time she booted up the game, it was as if she was to start over, she was greeted by Timmy and Tommy, with character designing prompts and all. She said the last thing that she remembered doing was being in the art section of the museum, and then saving and turning the game off afterwards. She said she only noticed how the saving process at that time took very long, like a minute. So when she wanted to play again some hours later, some sort of error came up in the Home Menu, she doesn't remember what, but it did ask her to redownload some missing necessary update data, or something along those lines. So, of course I was checking her Switch. In the system data, it says that there is an existing save file for Animal Crossing New Horizons, the size is 222 MB, so why doesn't the game access it? We restarted the game many times, and even swapped the cartridge with mine (we both use cartridge versions). We completely turned off the switch, so full reset, and we also did the "Check for corrupted data" option, but it said there was no corrupted data found. I went on to download the island transfer software. When trying to transfer her savegame over to mine, it simply said "There is no Animal Crossing New Horizons save data on this console" - which is wrong. It was clearly there, but corrupt or inacessible for the game. Of course I also did the option where you would restore your cloud data, by holding the minus data at the launch, but then Tom Nook said, there is no data that can be restored found on the servers. This is also very strange. It should be there! I will contact Nintendo about this tomorrow, when they open. It's just so damn sad to see, she had a WONDERFUL 5* island, with I believe over 300 hours in the game. If there's no way to restore it, it's just so devastating to see it happen just like that. It also makes me now hesitate to continue playing myself, it's scary see the save file just vanish due to an error like it did for her, and then the cloud backup option failing too. I don't know if this is a bug and reproducable, but I want to bring attention to this, maybe it also happened to someone else. I just wish she could get her island back, but I am afraid she lost all of her progress. How can Nintendo let this happen? I will see what Nintendo says tomorrow, but if anyone has some things I could try out still, please tell me.

I would contact Nintendo support to see if they can help restore it with the backup feature.

Sorry to hear about the situation though and I hope they’re able to help restore it.

a similar thing happened with my original New Leaf town. not sure what triggered it, I don't even have any speculations, but I just kinda got on one day and it said my save data was corrupted and needed to be deleted. I tried to reset the game a bunch of times and mess around w the memory card but nothing worked. I ended up restarting.

really hope you guys can figure it out, what you described is really odd but thr save data is still there so maybe someone will know what to do.

a similar thing happened with my original New Leaf town. not sure what triggered it, I don't even have any speculations, but I just kinda got on one day and it said my save data was corrupted and needed to be deleted. I tried to reset the game a bunch of times and mess around w the memory card but nothing worked. I ended up restarting.

really hope you guys can figure it out, what you described is really odd but thr save data is still there so maybe someone will know what to do.
That sucks, I heard that happen to a few for NL. In NH case, I think this can be salvaged because of the cloud data. If they can't, then what is the point of the feature?

Sorry you and your mom have to deal with this Spy, I would call Nintendo support. It's Sunday right now, so you probably have to wait until Monday to get anyone who could make a difference. If your mom put the backup data in place, you should be good to go. You have to manually do it though, I think. I can't really remember.

I dont have any advice to give im afraid. I think it might just be gone :(

But since the save recovery download thing didn't work, I'm curious, was the island backed up using that feature? Or was it just a hopeful attempt
Because if thats broken too thats worrying

Spy, I would call Nintendo support. It's Sunday right now, so you probably have to wait until Monday to get anyone who could make a difference. If your mom put the backup data in place, you should be good to go. You have to manually do it though, I think. I can't really remember.
But since the save recovery download thing didn't work, I'm curious, was the island backed up using that feature? Or was it just a hopeful attempt
Because if thats broken too thats worrying
Yes, this is why I need to wait until tomorrow. I was gonna contact them yesterday but I saw the customer support was unable.

I had to resort to the cloud backup feature in the past too, but it had very weird conditions. So, my switch was broken, complete system failure and it wouldn't really turn on. Because I was so concerned I talked about a Nintendo customer support guy about the savegames. He said, if I were to buy a brand new or different console, I can't simply re-download my data, even if the same user was used, ONLY if I sent my switch to them, and they replace or repair it, only then they would enable the backup download for me (I got an email while it was at their repair that said "Your ACNH save data has now been enabled to download"). And of course the Nintendo Online Membership condition thingy, which she has. I think that's why the cloud backup failed. Because the "repair or replacement" conditions weren't met. If that would be a thing, people could easily save scum, and I don't think Nintendo want people to do that, hence why they added autosaves too. I think the cloud backup option really only can save you when you can confirm your switch was damaged or lost. If your save game is damaged or was deleted somehow, it appears there's nothing you can do.

I remember something from the New Leaf era though... With dream adresses. If you had a homebrewed 3DS, and you somehow messed up your save file, there was a "cheat" that lets you clone dream towns you visited, extracting it like a save game. That's how my friend got back his old town on New Leaf after he messed it up with the save editor - he cloned his old dream town. But of course, I wouldn't mod my mothers Switch, that's just too risky. I just wish you could get it back from there. Well, all that's left from her island seems to be that dream address from about a month ago... Maybe she can visit it and try to copy stuff and placements from that, but let's hope Nintendo comes up with a solution tomorrow. If her island really is screwed, then I would definitely appreciate any kind of help getting her stuff back (fruits, basic flowers, basic furniture, just stuff to help her restart etc.). I have a bunch of stuff in my storage but still not by far as much as she had, After all, she had a 5* island, even my own island is only a 4* star right now.

Yes, this is why I need to wait until tomorrow. I was gonna contact them yesterday but I saw the customer support was unable.

I had to resort to the cloud backup feature in the past too, but it had very weird conditions. So, my switch was broken, complete system failure and it wouldn't really turn on. Because I was so concerned I talked about a Nintendo customer support guy about the savegames. He said, if I were to buy a brand new or different console, I can't simply re-download my data, even if the same user was used, ONLY if I sent my switch to them, and they replace or repair it, only then they would enable the backup download for me (I got an email while it was at their repair that said "Your ACNH save data has now been enabled to download"). And of course the Nintendo Online Membership condition thingy, which she has. I think that's why the cloud backup failed. Because the "repair or replacement" conditions weren't met. If that would be a thing, people could easily save scum, and I don't think Nintendo want people to do that, hence why they added autosaves too. I think the cloud backup option really only can save you when you can confirm your switch was damaged or lost. If your save game is damaged or was deleted somehow, it appears there's nothing you can do.

I remember something from the New Leaf era though... With dream adresses. If you had a homebrewed 3DS, and you somehow messed up your save file, there was a "cheat" that lets you clone dream towns you visited, extracting it like a save game. That's how my friend got back his old town on New Leaf after he messed it up with the save editor - he cloned his old dream town. But of course, I wouldn't mod my mothers Switch, that's just too risky. I just wish you could get it back from there. Well, all that's left from her island seems to be that dream address from about a month ago... Maybe she can visit it and try to copy stuff and placements from that, but let's hope Nintendo comes up with a solution tomorrow. If her island really is screwed, then I would definitely appreciate any kind of help getting her stuff back (fruits, basic flowers, basic furniture, just stuff to help her restart etc.). I have a bunch of stuff in my storage but still not by far as much as she had, After all, she had a 5* island, even my own island is only a 4* star right now.
If it doesn't go well I'm happy to drop off some bells, fruits and things like wood and stone

You're paying Nintendo an online membership for these features, the least they can do is give your mom her data back.

If you can't rely on Nintendo to do their job, there are plenty of us here that will help you out.

The game should tell you if the save was corrected and needs to be erased when it happens. Is it possible your mother started the game under a new profile?
Post automatically merged:

Of course I also did the option where you would restore your cloud data, by holding the minus data at the launch, but then Tom Nook said, there is no data that can be restored found on the servers. This is also very strange. It should be there!

I've been through this before. Tom Nook can't find/restore your island unless Nintendo flips a switch for you. You're not able to do it on your own. After speaking to Nintendo, Tom Nook will be able to find it.

Screenshot_20210307-103552.png

The game should tell you if the save was corrected and needs to be erased when it happens. Is it possible your mother started the game under a new profile?
No, same console and user as always. There was no message about erasing save data.

Just here to say I'm ready to contribute and support you and your mom should things not go according to plan! Fingers crossed things will work out! I'll watch this thread and hopefully there will be good news soon.

have you tried to check the save game data from the settings of the switch itself? i've seen a few times that people have recovered their towns and that their switch only force-reset their game because of an issue with save data becoming 'broken'. i don't exactly remember how to do it but i think it's under save data in the settings - try googling it. i hope the issue is resolved soon!

have you tried to check the save game data from the settings of the switch itself? i've seen a few times that people have recovered their towns and that their switch only force-reset their game because of an issue with save data becoming 'broken'. i don't exactly remember how to do it but i think it's under save data in the settings - try googling it. i hope the issue is resolved soon!
Well, there is a 222 MB file there, but it doesn't really do anything. I could only delete it but I don't want that.

I just want to add that I see you’re from Germany. I’m from Europe too and my local Nintendo branch was extremely unhelpful when it came to restoring my data. So if Nintendo Germany says they can’t or they won’t restore your data, don’t give up hope! You can change your Nintendo account region to America and use the Nintendo America support chat, they’re farrr more helpful and friendly
I wish you all the best and I hope your island is backed up in the cloud!

I hope you get this sorted and that it's okay to ask a spin off question here! But my game card is dodgy, got wet ages back and works most of the time but every now and then I get an error and have to remove and reinsert it, sometimes a few times, till it works again. If I bought a digital copy, will it still load up my same world without needing to use the cartridge? Please and thank you!

I hope you get this sorted and that it's okay to ask a spin off question here! But my game card is dodgy, got wet ages back and works most of the time but every now and then I get an error and have to remove and reinsert it, sometimes a few times, till it works again. If I bought a digital copy, will it still load up my same world without needing to use the cartridge? Please and thank you!
Yep any copy of the game will load your save just fine, including digital :)

Okay. Update.

I just want to add that I see you’re from Germany. I’m from Europe too and my local Nintendo branch was extremely unhelpful when it came to restoring my data. So if Nintendo Germany says they can’t or they won’t restore your data, don’t give up hope! You can change your Nintendo account region to America and use the Nintendo America support chat, they’re farrr more helpful and friendly
I wish you all the best and I hope your island is backed up in the cloud!

First off, thanks for the advice. I tried but on the Nintendo of America page it says, they're currently closed. Yeah I can relate, I had some really unfriendly people before when it came to appealing an unjustified 2 week ban from Splatoon before.

So, just now I had a chat with the german Nintendo of Europe. This is what happened. (translated):

Me: Hello dear Nintendo. I have an issue with corrupted data of Animal Crossing New Horizons after it disappeared from an error. Now I need help restoring save data.
Erika P: Please tell us the following information:

1.The e-mail address that is assigned to the account
2.Date of birth
3.The primary serial number of the console
Me: It is the console of my mother. Her data is: -removed-
Erika P: Please wait a moment while I check your data
Erika P: we have checked your account and could not find any data in our System that we can tie to ACNH. Sorry.
Me: Is there any other option I can try manually? In the system's Data Management, when I view "Delete save data", I can see already existing save data, the size of that file is 222 MB, however, it is not accessed, the game starts with the Timmy and Tommy intro.
Erika P: As I have stated before, we could not find any Animal Crossing data in the system.
Me: Oh, what a shame. Thanks for helping anyway.

So, this is just... stupid. Like TheDuke55 perfectly said earlier:

You're paying Nintendo an online membership for these features, the least they can do is give your mom her data back.

I'm really upset at them actually, but I will try not to swear in this thread, even though this makes me wanna go on a full on rant.
It's also how they avoided my question if there is any manual option I could try with that 222 MB file. So, it really DOES appear that you can only use that cloud backup service in case of a lost or damaged switch, not if some error messes up your save data.

Speaking of error. I went to my mothers switch, since you can look up error codes you previously got in the system settings.
The error code she had was: 2002-4153. I did some research and this is some sort of case where the software crashes, in connection to some corrupted data. That's really screwed up. Really looks like all of her work is gone now, which is extremely devastating. I would try to contact Nintendo of America support too, but I don't know when they'll re-open. Couldn't find any info about that.

Okay. Update.

First off, thanks for the advice. I tried but on the Nintendo of America page it says, they're currently closed. Yeah I can relate, I had some really unfriendly people before when it came to appealing an unjustified 2 week ban from Splatoon before.

So, just now I had a chat with the german Nintendo of Europe. This is what happened. (translated):

So, this is just... stupid. Like TheDuke55 perfectly said earlier:

I'm really upset at them actually, but I will try not to swear in this thread, even though this makes me wanna go on a full on rant.
It's also how they avoided my question if there is any manual option I could try with that 222 MB file. So, it really DOES appear that you can only use that cloud backup service in case of a lost or damaged switch, not if some error messes up your save data.

Speaking of error. I went to my mothers switch, since you can look up error codes you previously got in the system settings.
The error code she had was: 2002-4153. I did some research and this is some sort of case where the software crashes, in connection to some corrupted data. That's really screwed up. Really looks like all of her work is gone now, which is extremely devastating. I would try to contact Nintendo of America support too, but I don't know when they'll re-open. Couldn't find any info about that.
Sorry if you said this already, have you tried uninstalling the game files from the updates?
Not that I know if there is a way or if the 2 are tied together

Sorry if you said this already, have you tried uninstalling the game files from the updates?
Not that I know if there is a way or if the 2 are tied together
Yeah, I even removed the micro SD card so it would completely redownload them. And "checking for corrupted data" also said there wasn't any corrupted data.

I am on the west coast in the US and when I look at the Nintendo support page it says they will be open 6am- 7pm PT. It is now about 4:45 am PT.

Very sorry for what is happening to you, I really hope someone may still be able to recover your data and am sorry you have been speaking with unhelpful people so far.

Back