[Research???] Gold Roses no longer linked to golden watering can??? (Hybrids be weeeird)

Mystic Pyro Freak

#animalcrossingproblems
Bells
Just when I thought I had hybridization figured out in this game, it threw me another curve ball.

So yesterday it was raining nearly all day on my island (Including when I started the game up). I thought to myself "Damn. Guess no gold roses for me tomorrow." Since the rain watered all my flowers for me, including my black roses. No point in using my gold watering can and bringing it closer to breaking.

Well...Tomorrow came and what do I find? A gold rose near one of my SOLO black roses.
I just stared at my screen for a good few minutes in complete disbelief. I knew for a FACT that I didn't use my gold watering can AT ALL yesterday due to the rain. How did I still get a new gold rose the following day???

The only conclusion I could draw is that maybe gold roses are now tied to your island rating like Lily of the Valleys (Only difference being you still have to actively water your black roses to get the gold ones). Otherwise, I'm totally baffled. Are gold watering cans just bragging symbols now? lmfao

Share your weird hybrid stories. I'm curious what other surprising stuff people have discovered (yellow mums also making purple mums, hybrids spawning from solo flowers, etc)

Question! Did it rain that night, or were they manually watered?

Edit: I'm a dumbo and skimmed thread too much lol

Right! I can think of a few things:

1. Rain gives a chance at golden roses.
  2. Your theory is correct
  3. Maybe you just forgot you did water them. Sometimes I just go tunnel vision mode watering flowers.

My friend had stored some black flowers on the beach (Because we both thought flowers couldnt breed on the beach) and a golden rose appeared on her beach???

Also I keep getting gold roses whenever it rains...I kept watering with my golden watering can and nothing happened...

They said above that it was raining lol

Have you ever used a gold watering can on them before? Maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm aware, I'm a skimmer. I literally missed that part and only that part. I already edited my comment since I noticed lol.

i read somewhere that rain can make gold roses, too - it’s rare and there’s a slimmer chance of it happening in comparison to using the golden watering can but it can happen lol

well my friend had been watering golden roses with her golden watering can over and over again and she got waaaaay more golden roses than me

this is intended! a well-researched guide about how flowers work in NH was posted recently that included some information about this. basically, it seems black roses can 'remember' they were watered by the golden watering can up to 3 days after the watering! cool, right?

the full guide is really long, but here's a screenshot of the part about gold roses:

Back