• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Recommendations Thread

Name: Rune Factory 4
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Pros:
- Interactive NPCs with different dialogues and personalities
- Storyline full of twists, turns, and bosses that came even be tamed
- Random dialogue that cracks you up
- You can change the background music
- You have the option of dating, getting married, and even having a kid that can fight with you in battles
Cons:
- Graphics aren't too impressive
- Dialogue only changes each day
- Town events are triggered randomly, which can be bothersome at times

Name: Mario Golf: World Tour

Pros:
  • This game bursts with content from online tournament, solo challenges and custom rules for both solo play, local and online multiplayer with friends!
  • The golf mechanics are pretty well done! You can put some effects on the ball in order to avoid Out of Bound zones and trees.
  • The learning curve is there and there's a lot to master!
  • Each time you complete an hole online, you can see the other players doing their strokes and cheer them via icons on the touch screen. The community is great!
  • The Castle Club has some RPG functions with tips and upgrades for your Mii as you acquire gear while playing!
  • This game completely destroys Mario Tennis Open with its customization and community (plus tournaments)!
  • The Season Pass is actually giving new courts but from now, it looks amazing!
  • The demo gives you an excellent preview of the actual gameplay!
  • There's a Glossary so you can learn Golf terms!
  • The 3D is actually useful and well done!
  • This is a sports game for hardcore gamers!

Cons:
  • Some gears are only available for limited-time as DLC for completing a tournament (even if it's free)...
  • The Season Pass characters are probably useless due to similar characters abilities in terms of power, precision and control... and the Mii...
  • The camera is a bit jerky...
  • There's a lack of innovation on some last "Mario courts" which are the special parks...
  • The AI is probably a bit cheap...
  • There's no Single-Card Multiplayer or special modes like Super Mario Tennis for Mario Tennis Open (the best thing from the previous Camelot sports game) or no multiplayer mode for a single console which would've been perfect because it's golf...
  • You probably need the 3DS XL in order to see the putt grid and the ball properly... Oh and mini-golf from Mario Golf is gone which was perfect for casual golf players...

Best:
  • There's a true sense of accomplishment as you progress and do an Eagle (which is two strokes under Par) or even an Albatross (three strokes under Par)! This is the best thing about this game. You actually feel proud of yourself doing a perfect stroke! Oh and Paratroopa is amazing and funny!

This is my biggest surprise of the year so far. Go buy this game if you love Mario Sports games from the N64 days.

This advice is given from an actual video game reviewer who writes for blogs and knows few people from the industry.

Last edited:
Name: Narcissu 1 & 2
Platform: PC/Steam (Free, the soundtrack is extra if you want it though)
Genre: Visual Novel

Wow, where to start? This is one of the better games I've played in a long while. While I'm usually into more "geek" kinda of titles for my console, I think this I would recommend to everyone. One of the most touching and beautiful stories I have played through and fantastic music. I won't spoil the story to everyone.. I'm just saying, grab this ASAP.

Name: Rune Factory 4
Pros:
- Interactive NPCs with different dialogues and personalities
- Storyline full of twists, turns, and bosses that came even be tamed
- Random dialogue that cracks you up
- You can change the background music
- You have the option of dating, getting married, and even having a kid that can fight with you in battles
Cons:
- Graphics aren't too impressive
- Dialogue only changes each day
- Town events are triggered randomly, which can be bothersome at times

I'm going to add another con
I beaten that game in 4 days kinda short for me

Last edited:
Does anyone have or know if Warriors Orochi 3 for WiiU is any good? I'm not worried about how it looks cause I've seen, just curious if gameplay is any good.

Name: Super Mario Galaxy
Platform: Wii
Pros: EPIC
Cons: May give REALLY sensitive people motion sickness, not very common

Name: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Platform: GameCube/ Wii U
Pros: AWESOME AND BEAUTIFUL
Cons: Kinda easy, best for a first time player

Name: Where Is My Heart?
Platform: Windows/Mac/Linux
Pros:
-Cute graphics/artwork!
-Best puzzle game I've played in a while
-Delightful experience
-Simple, yet adorable storyline/plot
Cons:
-A bit short

I love this game so much!! ~<3

Last edited:
Can I recommend a free online shooter? :v If not, ignore this post please q____q

Name: S4 League
Platform: PC

Pros: I don't know I like the playstyle+it's a third person shooter and it's similar to gunz / gunz2????
- Big breasts
- Pretty/sexy girl characters LOL
- A lot of weapons to choose from for your playstyle: melee/terrorist/sniping/stealth/rushing/heavy shooting/defending/etc
- Variety of modes(most of them involve killing the enemy nonetheless)
- Flashy and fancy movements and tricks for dodging/mobility

Cons: LOL I HATE THIS GAME BUT I CAN'T STOP.
- Pay for better stats, but you can still win with better skills LOOOOOL omg.
- Most events are for people who pay2win but they've been fixing that lately and have given free players more events with monthly login rotations and the such.
- Hosted in Europe
- No one plays in the North America server LOL
- Servers are unstable(for now, since they recently changed companies)
- Hackers are present but can be kicked out of the room
- Not very newbie-friendly
- Learning curve is exponential...(or really hard to figure out at first??? but I'm like a 4 year veteran so I can't really say much since my memory is bad LOL)
- Bad theatrical videos/gameplay videos(unless you know what's going on)

Someone may have posted this already, but these are my favorite games:

Name: Mass Effect (trilogy)
Platform: PS3, Xbox 360, PC
Pros: Sci-fi space opera with really great characters, beautiful level design/scenery, awesome soundtrack, pretty good replay value (there are some RPG elements so you can choose to be "nice" or "mean" and make different choices throughout the games), personally I really enjoy the combined RPG-shooter gameplay
Cons: The ending of the series sucked and a lot of people didn't like the third game at all (I did), the combat is mostly third-person shooter style so if you hate shooters I wouldn't recommend this

Name: Destiny of Spirits

Platform: Playstation Vita

Pros: It's a free to play game, possesses a catchy soundtrack, and the spirits have pretty nifty artwork. I've spent at least 40+~ hours with the game and have actually sunk some money into the microtransactions to support the developers. Easy to control and easy to work with, controls are primarily touch screen. If you're a PS+ member, you regularly get 35 orbs of the paid currency a month to spend on limited or advanced summons.

Cons: It has microtransactions which isn't everyone's cup of tea. Depending on how you use it, you could complain pay to win but there's no PVP (that I'm aware of). After level 30, it gets difficult to level up spirits so you will need to sink a lot of time and effort into maxing out certain spirits. Speaking of spirits, there are some that are locked behind the paid currency that you can't(?) unlock through normal gameplay. You have timer cooldowns, so when a Spirit dies you have to wait at least ten minutes for it to revive and reach full health again. It also takes 30 minutes to restore Raid Points, but you can buy to restore them. It's also online only, so you cannot play it without a online connection.

Not too sure if this has been listed, because I didn't really go reading the entire thread..
But here goes nothing!

Name:
Tales of the Abyss

Platform:
PS2/3DS

Pros:
It's a game with really great character development with great music, funny and lovable characters. Uses grade (reward points you can earn by fighting in game) to unlock bonuses after you beat and start a new game. Good voice acting, really fits the characters.

Cons:
Long game, you must fight enemies if you don't you'll be under leveled and have to spend hours grinding levels, doesn't have dual audio. Not much replay value (unless you want to be a completionist). We weren't given the Japanese opening, just an instrumental one. *sigh*. Confusing lore. Its still kind of pricy, 34 dollars for the PS2 and 30 dollars at most for 3DS.

Depends on you:
It has anime cut-scenes. If you like JRPGs. Ever played Tales of Vesperia, Xillia or Symphonia? Then this one is just as good. It starts out kind of slow, so if you hate slow and story like games...yeah don't get it.

What its about:
In Tales Of The Abyss, you'll enter the life of Luke fon Fabre, sole heir to a family of aristocrats. He was kidnapped seven years ago, and the shock left him with no memories of his life before. For his own protection since his return, he has been confined to a quiet, boring life within the family's residence, learning little of the world beyond the palace walls. Luke is suddenly thrust into the outside world, caught in the workings of the Order of Lorelei, keepers of the prophecy known as the Score. No longer in the shelter of the palace, Luke must get along in the confusing and often hostile world. He knows nothing about those who might be his friends, or those who already are his enemies.

There's also an anime and manga of this too.

Last edited:
Name: The World Ends with You

Platform: DS

Pros:
-Good length, well written story with an interesting soundtrack.
-Unique game play
-Customizable character in terms of the abilities/powers one can use.
-Battle difficulty that can be adjusted at any time during the game.
-Lots of replay value.

Cons:
-Difficult learning curve, as the battling might take some time to adjust to.
-Hard to come by in physical stores. (There's a mobile version on the Apple store though!)
-Cut scenes aren't full blown cinematics that look like real people, as there is an anime art style. (I guess this might be an issue for some people?)

This game came out about six years ago, but I can still say that I think it's the best DS game of all time with confidence.

Name: Tales of Graces f

Platform: PS3

Pros:
-There is a lot postgame content
-I think the gameplay is just one of the best in the series
-It's one of the best JRPGS I have ever played and it is really worth the money
-There are also some ingame costumes that change the appearance of your characters.
-Additionally you can skip cutscenes.
-The skits that appear in the game are also a lot of fun =)

Cons: The story resolves too much about friendship and the graphic isn't the best for a PS3 game.

Last edited:
Been replaying Dragon Age: Origins before I play Dragon Age 2, and anyone that hasn't played it needs to sooo:

Name: Dragon Age: Origins
Platform: PC
Pros: An amazing strategy RPG that's incredibly polished. Voice acting is perfect and the story is very involving.
Cons: I honestly can't think of any reason why you wouldn't play this game. Only "con" I can think of is that the art style may not be to some people's tastes.

Oh god second this. Just picked it up again over the weekend in anticipation of getting Inquisition once I recover from spending all of my income on Christmas presents. It's still awesome.

Just to add a bit: Highest difficulty is actually difficult and a fun challenge, deep sub-class options, intricate companion interactions, decisions that don't always feel black and white morally, and Dwarves.
I haven't played DA:2 yet but please come back here and recommend it if it's any good. I've only heard bad things about it.

Edit: Oh wow, didn't realize how old this post was. My bad on the whole "come back and tell me" bit.

Last edited:
Name: The Last of Us
Platform: PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4
Pros: Great gameplay, amazing story, great graphics
Cons: None

Name: Kingdom Hearts 2 (and 2.5 Remix)
Platform: Playstation 2 (Playstation 3)

Pros: -Rather deep storyline is quite intriguing if you have time to listen to it. More interesting if you have played other games so you can link up plot events.
-Eye candy at every turn. More incentive to bash monsters.
-Ok, it is just fun to fly around and smack monsters.
-The stats and battle system can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be.
-Varied gameplay, rarely boring or tedious unless you feel like grinding.

Cons: -Certain events are difficult for first-time players even on easy.
-Some bosses are not terribly intuitive.
-The above two are true especially with bosses where you get them to 1 life and have to do this special event. Good luck if you don't know what to do.
-Dialogue and cutscenes can be long, though can be skipped. However, prepare to have no idea what is going on if you do.
-Be prepared to die randomly every now and then due to precise timing on certain enemy attacks.
(2.5 remix only Cons below)
-Limit Drives are a pain in the backside to level up. Only way to get mandatory abilities like dodge roll as well...
-The new 2.5 mandatory boss is an absolute pain, and harder than the final boss...

Last edited:
Name:
Rune Factory 4 ("Harvest Moon with a sword" is what it's been called)

Platform:
3DS

Pros:
-You will never run out of things to do, I promise. Besides the farming and dating sim, it is also a fantasy RPG. It has three story arcs. And even when you beat the game, you still have tons of sidequests and dungeons to complete.
-The characters are all really cute! You end up growing super attached to them. I found it really hard to decide between all the bachelors because I just loved them all so much!
-As far as bachelors/bachelorettes go, there's one of every type... meaning, there's a tsundere, a loli/shota, a rambunctious type, a moe type, etc.. There's 6 of both.
-At the end of the game, there's a feature where you can change your character to the other sex (meaning you can basically achieve homosexual relationships :cool:) You can also change your character's appearance to the other characters in the game. It's pretty dang neat.
-There are tons of random events to keep things around town lively! And they're all pretty fun.

Cons:
-Depending on what you like, the story mode may get too long for you. Luckily, there's no urgency in doing these things, and you can get married and farm and ignore story mode; however, you need to beat the second story arc in order to unlock the final bachelor, Leon. You also won't get Venti back permanently until you defeat the final arc.
-So... many... things... to... level... up... it's almost endless. And kind of ridiculous. The level cap is also 50,000 I believe so if you're a completist... well haha gl hf.

Name: The World Ends with You

Platform: DS

Pros:
-Good length, well written story with an interesting soundtrack.
-Unique game play
-Customizable character in terms of the abilities/powers one can use.
-Battle difficulty that can be adjusted at any time during the game.
-Lots of replay value.

Cons:
-Difficult learning curve, as the battling might take some time to adjust to.
-Hard to come by in physical stores. (There's a mobile version on the Apple store though!)
-Cut scenes aren't full blown cinematics that look like real people, as there is an anime art style. (I guess this might be an issue for some people?)

This game came out about six years ago, but I can still say that I think it's the best DS game of all time with confidence.

I came into this thread to recommend this game, then saw your post. I second this. Best DS game out there, probably one of my favourites on any platform. I prefer the DS version (I'll be honest, I played it on a flashcard because it's hard to come by, still need to order a physical copy for myself) to the iPhone version for sure. To add to the tonnes of replay value: not only do you pick up on story elements and realize what parts are being foreshadowed, but there's also additional things that can be unlocked and cutscenes you can experience your second time through. Absolutely wonderful, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who can get their hands on it.

So I'm considering buying either Fantasy Life or Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for my 3DS. To me, Monster Hunter looks like a commitment in comparison to Fantasy Life where it looks like I can just play casually. I tried a little bit of MH3 on the Wii U, but couldn't really get that into it due to having to squint at the text constantly and wandering around not knowing where to go. Thoughts?

Name: Tales of Graces f

Platform: PS3

Pros:
-There is a lot postgame content
-I think the gameplay is just one of the best in the series
-It's one of the best JRPGS I have ever played and it is really worth the money
-There are also some ingame costumes that change the appearance of your characters.
-Additionally you can skip cutscenes.
-The skits that appear in the game are also a lot of fun =)

Cons: The story resolves too much about friendship and the graphic isn't the best for a PS3 game.

You can never have too much friendship ;D Totally playing this.

Back