• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Reasons You've Taken A Break(s) From ACNL

Akimari

RIP Glenn Rhee 2k16
Bells
Orange Mote of Flame
August Birthstone (Peridot)
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Cake
I used to play this game everyday, and once I found TBT, I used to visit the forums just about everyday too! Not just a 15 minute casual play either, like actual work in my town and what not. Kind of an obsession, y'know? I'd heard tales of people burning themselves on it or whatever, but I never paid much mind to it. I figured that maybe I'll get sick of it soon, but that time ain't now.

Then I started working sometime last month, and my playtime decreased a LOT.

I pretty much only played to grab some Streetpass items and MAYBE talk to a few villagers/do SOME of the daily tasks. Never played for more than 15 minutes a day, and there even came times where I wouldn't play for a whole day, maybe even two days in a row, and that was saying a lot for me considering how often I played before.

Basically, work and how tired it made me (plus how much time it's been eating up) has caused a huge decrease in my activity both in-game and on the forums, something I wasn't expecting to happen at all.

What are some reasons that you've had to take a break, or multiple breaks, from New Leaf?

I stopped playing when Rosie moved. I felt awful that there was quite literally nothing I could do to stop her as she said nothing to me until the day she was in boxes.

The main reason behind my breaks is almost always school. I'm too tired and then don't feel like playing. Or if I'm not tired, just the thought of having school work to do is enough to ruin the fun. There's also me playing too much and burning myself out as well, but I usually pick it back up after a couple weeks. With school though, I've gone months without playing.

Fortunately I haven't been in a situation yet where I've had to go days without playing. Though I have had days where all I've done is pop into my towns for 5 or so minutes each purely to interrogate my favorite villager to make sure no one's thinking about moving out.

I've never taken a break since first game came out for the GC. The longest I've ever gone without playing is a day or two. Wow, is that sad?

I took a break for quite awhile because i got frustrated with how my town was turning out, and I couldn't bring myself to restart. Eventually I came back and just started fresh.

I tend to play for numerous hours at a time before I move on to something else for several months. The cycle continues.

I stopped pretty much out of the blue this past December. I didn't even intentionally stop, either. I just got caught up with work, and by the time I realized I hadn't played in awhile, I was too scared to turn on my game for fear that I'd lost a dreamie. I finally got over it and started playing again about a month ago, so I think the grand total time of my "break" was something like nine months.​

Mostly because of school, but also due to laziness and me not wanting to cycle to get a villager back.

I played every day for a really long time and it def made me slowly lose interest to the point where I stopped playing for like five months. I either play a lot or hardly at all.. there doesn't seem to be a middle ground, haha.

Last edited:
I took a 6 week break due to RL and I just didn't have time to play. I did trade in my old 3DSXL and AC and didn't touch a DS for months....Then I got bored with my other games and Got on Ebay an ACNL bundle (LOL Yes the part tart DS XD) and been in love with it since :D

My breaks are usually because if I become too busy with school or work, I'll miss a day or two, a day or two becomes a week, and once I miss two or more weeks, I become too lazy to even try playing again. I usually pick up where I left off when I get bored, have free time, or suddenly miss my villagers.

I've never taken a break from new leaf. idk, it's easy to play just for a few minutes even, sometimes I only play for maybe 20 minutes because I'm tired, but most days I play a lot.
When I played city folk I only played during the summer because that was when I had time for it... so... I took an 9 month break every year... I would just totally forget about the game for the rest of the year and neglect my villagers. That's actually a reason to why I didn't get new leaf when it first come out, I thought I wouldn't play it all that much and that it wouldn't be worth the money... turns out I was wrong ^^

When it first came out I played it for about six months and sadly I got bored of it. I play ever now and again and just recently I've basically completed my town. I usually come back to it at least once or twice a year and play for a few days/weeks.

I've stopped playing a few times because I simply get bored of the game. There isn't really a lot for me to do, so the main reason I play now is to keep my villagers from leaving. If I didn't have dreamies, I'm sure New Leaf would end up collecting dust like Wild World and City Folk did. Right now I'm pretty caught up with the game, but it isn't like I was when I first got it. The first month I got NL, I would play for hours straight. Now I play for about five or ten minutes.

The pressure to play it everyday is actually what made me stop for the first time, I was pretty fatigued by it too. Sometimes you just need a break and to come back later with a fresh mind and new ideas.

I stopped playing when I reset my town. I just lost interest :/

I'm getting HHD though. I'm more focused on Tomodachi life now.

Last edited:
The reason I took a break was because my family moved and I needed to get settled. And I ended up losing my charger while we were moving, and I couldn't find it. I forgot about using my 3DS for a little while and only recently did I remember, and now I'm playing AC:NL once more!

Back