• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

did soMEONE SAY MAHOU SHOUJO???!!!???!!?!?!?

lmao I like pmmm!!!! I like how its colorful and cute and all, but it also has its dark side :^) and its honestly kinda sad too.. heheh so interesting tbh.. homura is my favorite eheheh

my time has come.
I am absolutely in love with it ;o;
I cosplayed as Godoka this year, actually!!

she probably tastes more like custard

- - - Post Merge - - -

truth be told i dropped a few tears when homura
shows madokas brother the ribbon and nobody remembers her

she probably tastes more like custard

- - - Post Merge - - -

truth be told i dropped a few tears when homura
shows madokas brother the ribbon and nobody remembers her

In Rebellion Mami "ist die Kase" which means Cheese

I watched a couple of episodes but I couldn't get into it because I can't stand how wide the characters' heads are. It's somehow infuriating and I can't deal with it.

I used to really like PMMM but then Rebellion spoilers got leaked and I kind of stopped liking it. Like it wasn't a conscious decision on my part, I just slowly stopped caring about it.

I still need to actually watch Rebellion for myself and decide what I think (I've been computerless for a few years), and I'll probably do so now that it's apparently on Netflix.

I'm not a fan of the TV series proper, but I really enjoyed the spinoff manga "The Different Story". It had a lot of character development that I thought the anime was pretty lacking in (particularly Mami's). It even made Kamijou like-able.

And it did a lot of things that I thought the anime handled badly.
Example.
Mami's interactions with Homura. Mami seemed really smug and condescending toward Homura in the anime, which really infuriated me. I liked how in TDS she considers the idea of talking to Homura, but ultimately decides that Homura is too unpredictable.

I also really liked the connection between Mami and Kyouko in this one. I feel that those two are a much better pairing (not speaking of shipping) than Kyouko and Sayaka, especially since there's actual substance between them in TDS.

Last edited:
I watched a couple of episodes but I couldn't get into it because I can't stand how wide the characters' heads are. It's somehow infuriating and I can't deal with it.

i have to agree with this but i eventually got over it because i was really bored

I never watched anything else than the actual TV animated series (with added Blu-ray visuals that improved a lot on the TV version). And I still liked it a lot.

This anime is an interesting deconstruction of the magical girl genre. It helps a lot that the execution is so great that it impacted a lot of viewers, by leaving a lot of foreshadowing to what might happen next. This is especially true to the buildup created in the first three episodes, when people first thought it would follow the classic magical girl tropes by books, but then episode 3 came in and things got a whole lot more interesting since then.

Also, I'm not surprised to hear that the OST is fantastic, given the majority of them are composed by Yuki Kajiura. It's worth listening to them and they pretty much all fit in every situation they're thrown at.

My only problem with it is that it's hard to relate with the main characters. They generally feel more like a set-piece just so the plot could advance exactly the way Urobuchi Gen wanted, but it also leaves a lot of characterization potential untapped, even with Homura. As a result, the characters are flat and kinda limited the impact the anime. I'd bet that this would end up being a memorable classic if the characterization were up to par with the rest.

Back