• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

PSP2 Revealed at Sony's Tokyo Event

Exactly. That's why I have my DSi XL and my iPhone. You get the best of both worlds, but they are two worlds that shouldn't be combined into one device.

I think you're wrong. Pretty soon smartphones will be the new portable gaming system. Which is nice considering I won't have to lug around two different portables if I want a phone and a full featured gaming experience.

The 3DS is also becoming a "smartphone" in case you missed that Tye. :L Both Sony and Nintendo kinda have to in order to compete with Apple's "large" gaming fanbase.

And honestly I would ditch my smartphone for the PSP2/NGP, because my smartphone is a piece of crap thanks to Motorola and AT&T.

The 3DS is also becoming a "smartphone" in case you missed that Tye. :L Both Sony and Nintendo kinda have to in order to compete with Apple's "large" gaming fanbase.

And honestly I would ditch my smartphone for the PSP2/NGP, because my smartphone is a piece of crap thanks to Motorola and AT&T.
How is the 3DS anything like a smartphone? The experience is completely different, unlike the PSP2/NGP.

It's not a smartphone, no, but it's very much like a smartphone. The whole multitouch thing, 3G, GPS, compatibility with Android apps... Sony is trying to make the PSP2/NGP as similar to a smartphone as possible, without actually making it a smartphone. And while it's always good to have new features and such...having the same exact features as a smartphone isn't really a great idea. Why? Well, for one, people who already have smartphones surely aren't going to replace their phones with a gaming system that is like their phones, and carrying around two devices that do pretty much the same thing isn't very practical, is it?

Now, in the case of the 3DS, you're getting a very different experience than on a smartphone, so having both isn't nearly as impractical. In fact, the two devices complement each other quite well. When I want to kill a few minutes with a small little game or browse the web, check Facebook, or whatnot while waiting in line or something, I pull out my iPhone. But when I want a full, complete gaming experience, whether on the go or at home, I pull out my DSi XL. Each device is suitable for different situations, and they're both used pretty much equally. But with the PSP2/NGP pushing the line between portable gaming system and smartphone, the usage between gaming system and smartphone becomes a lot more unbalanced.

Sure, with the PSP2/NGP you can play games online anywhere over 3G, browse the web and use all sorts of different downloadable apps, search maps and find directions with GPS technology, and possibly even video chat...but you can do all of that on your phone already! Plus, your phone is, you know...a phone. If you're going out and only want to take one device with you (especially with as big as the PSP2/NGP is), which one do you think you're going to take? Probably the one of more use to you; your smartphone. Now, if Sony were to actually make a PSP smartphone, that would be a different story...but then again, it wouldn't be so much of a portable gaming system as it would be a smartphone, which kinda defeats the purpose... And besides, don't we only have rumors of a PSP smartphone? For all we know, they could be completely false, or they could have been referring to the PSP2/NGP.

in case you didn't know, the PSP already had Skype built-in. Skype's pretty limited, and you had to use wifi, but if you're looking to call it a phone.. that's nothing new, really. i had missed that in my last post, but still, comparing a psp to a smart phone makes no sense, especially if you're trying to say that people would prefer to take their (already owned) smart phone over their (already owned) psp2.

not everyone got suckered into upgrading their cell phones to smart phones. if 3g/phone usage (if there's the feature) costs more/needs a plan, then the owners might have to make a decision as to if they want to use it as their phone/gaming device, or if they'd rather stick with their already-existing phone line.

i dunno. the video explains basically how i feel.

rereading:
@first paragraph, if it has all the features of a smart phone.. why not use it over your existing smart phone?

@second paragraph, i don't think we're thinking alike. your logic is that if you need a phone, you use your phone. if you want to play a game, play your handheld. if both can be one item, why not? the psp may be bulkier than your average phone, but it can't be bigger than a phone + 3ds.

@ third paragraph, basically my response to the first. if it does the job better and adds the whole "at it's core an actual handheld game console with the power to pump out PS3-tier graphics," i don't see why you would need a phone (exception being battery life)

i have a feeling there'll be a PS Phone. maybe not this year, but sooner or later. the psp2 won't be the phone system, but if it has that functionality, again, why not?

How is the 3DS anything like a smartphone? The experience is completely different, unlike the PSP2/NGP.

The menu system is exactly like the iOS'.

And sony already has smart phones out there, and they're working on a playstation phone.
Plus the thing is as powerful as a goddamn ps3, thats a bit excessive if they're nuts going for the smartphone Market.

And lastly, you provided absolutely no logic in your last post whatsoever. If you don't believe the 3DS is similar to iOS just look iyour goddam signature.

WORDSWORDSWORDS
i have a feeling there'll be a PS Phone. maybe not this year, but sooner or later. the psp2 won't be the phone system, but if it has that functionality, again, why not?

playstation-phone.jpg

I think you're wrong. Pretty soon smartphones will be the new portable gaming system. Which is nice considering I won't have to lug around two different portables if I want a phone and a full featured gaming experience.
I highly doubt that. Not as long as Nintendo's still around, that is. Sony may or may not make a smartphone (though I doubt they will), but Nintendo would never make a one. And, like I said before, the gaming experience is very different between handheld systems like the DS and smartphones. Each has their own market, but I don't see either one overlapping the other anytime soon, or ever for that matter.

@first paragraph, if it has all the features of a smart phone.. why not use it over your existing smart phone?
Because...it doesn't? There's still the fact that your smartphone is your phone. Yes, the PSP may have Skype, but that's not really a replacement for your phone.

@second paragraph, i don't think we're thinking alike. your logic is that if you need a phone, you use your phone. if you want to play a game, play your handheld. if both can be one item, why not? the psp may be bulkier than your average phone, but it can't be bigger than a phone + 3ds.
Again, the PSP2/NGP isn't a phone, it just has many of the same features as a smartphone. And that's my whole point; why carry around both if one can do pretty much everything the other can plus more, and being an actually phone?

@ third paragraph, basically my response to the first. if it does the job better and adds the whole "at it's core an actual handheld game console with the power to pump out PS3-tier graphics," i don't see why you would need a phone (exception being battery life)
Because it's not a phone.

The menu system is exactly like the iOS'.

And sony already has smart phones out there, and they're working on a playstation phone.
Plus the thing is as powerful as a goddamn ps3, thats a bit excessive if they're nuts going for the smartphone Market.

And lastly, you provided absolutely no logic in your last post whatsoever. If you don't believe the 3DS is similar to iOS just look iyour goddam signature.
Similar in design is very different from similar in features. Sure, the 3DS Menu may look a bit like iOS, but how does that matter in the least? And it's not like iOS is the only thing that uses little rounded squares as application icons... Hell, the Wii was doing it with its Channels before the iPhone was even released.

The real thing that separates the 3DS from a smartphone is the difference in experience. Smartphones are pretty much all multitouch devices that have no real buttons and little, bite-sized games to offer. The 3DS, like the DS before it, instead is a system that has much bigger games content-wise, and uses a button and stylus interface instead, which is much more suitable for gaming. Not to mention the fact that the 3DS can provide an experience that no other device can; 3D gaming without glasses.

I'm not saying that the PSP2/NGP is a complete smartphone copy, or that it's a bad gaming platform. I just think that it's trying too hard to compete with smartphones, becoming so similar to them in the process. Now, it's great that it will bring more in depth smartphone-like experiences that weren't possible before, but the fact that it's more or less copying the smartphone experience instead of trying to differentiate itself and provide a completely unique experience like the 3DS is what I don't like about it. That said, I will say again that the back touch panel is a nice feature. I don't see it becoming a big revolution in gaming, but I'm sure many cool ideas will come from it.

Last edited:
Didn't even see the sony ericcson picture.. which is the psp phone I gather?
I saw it, and it's clearly fake. >_> Though, looking into it, there appears to be more proof for a PSP phone than I first though. I had only heard rumors, but it appears that it actually does exist.

Anyway, if anyone reads any part of my last post, read the last paragraph...

Tyeforce said:
I'm not saying that the PSP2/NGP is a complete smartphone copy, or that it's a bad gaming platform. I just think that it's trying too hard to compete with smartphones, becoming so similar to them in the process. Now, it's great that it will bring more in depth smartphone-like experiences that weren't possible before, but the fact that it's more or less copying the smartphone experience instead of trying to differentiate itself and provide a completely unique experience like the 3DS is what I don't like about it. That said, I will say again that the back touch panel is a nice feature. I don't see it becoming a big revolution in gaming, but I'm sure many cool ideas will come from it.

As somebody who doesn't use smartphones and loves quote-unquote "hardcore" gaming, I fully expect smartphones to be integrated into any portable gaming platforms after the 3DS and NGP.

As long as Microsoft doesn't jump on the bandwagon, I'm fine with this existing.

As long as Microsoft doesn't jump on the bandwagon, I'm fine with this existing.

What would be the problem with a Microsoft handheld? They're already partially (read: barely) in the portable gaming market with the Zune, and I don't see how more competition can hurt. Nintendo's arrogance is back and stronger than ever -- the 3DS is marked up tremendously simply because there's a lot of hype around it...

What would be the problem with a Microsoft handheld? They're already partially (read: barely) in the portable gaming market with the Zune, and I don't see how more competition can hurt. Nintendo's arrogance is back and stronger than ever -- the 3DS is marked up tremendously simply because there's a lot of hype around it...

I do believe there are windows phones now. MICROSOFT WINDOWS for that matter.

Lol, honestly, I don't know why people are against the idea of having a smartphone, and game system all in one. It's not like smartphones don't have the processing power to handle hardcore portable games, it's just that there are a lack of good games, which is why people don't look at smartphones as gaming devices. As we've seen in the past games really make up whether or not the console is worth buying, which is why the DS did so well, because it had great games. Once some major devs understand that a smartphone doesn't need to just have these little minigames, I'm sure we'll see an increase of quality games. Plus just imagine the great possibilities of not being limited to just one 'console' to play all you games on. You'll be able to play on whatever phone you please(well, if we're talking about the Playstation Suite, android phones only for now, but there are a ton of them out there) so you don't have to be limited to one design type, or manufacturer.

Ok, now that I'm done with that.....I don't even know why you guys are debating whether or not there is going to be a playstation phone, the Xperia Play, basically is the Playstation Phone, and as you can see from the link in the OP it's already in hand, Sony just hasn't announced it yet.

Lol, honestly, I don't know why people are against the idea of having a smartphone, and game system all in one. It's not like smartphones don't have the processing power to handle hardcore portable games, it's just that there are a lack of good games, which is why people don't look at smartphones as gaming devices. As we've seen in the past games really make up whether or not the console is worth buying, which is why the DS did so well, because it had great games. Once some major devs understand that a smartphone doesn't need to just have these little minigames, I'm sure we'll see an increase of quality games. Plus just imagine the great possibilities of not being limited to just one 'console' to play all you games on. You'll be able to play on whatever phone you please(well, if we're talking about the Playstation Suite, android phones only for now, but there are a ton of them out there) so you don't have to be limited to one design type, or manufacturer.

Ok, now that I'm done with that.....I don't even know why you guys are debating whether or not there is going to be a playstation phone, the Xperia Play, basically is the Playstation Phone, and as you can see from the link in the OP it's already in hand, Sony just hasn't announced it yet.

Actually, they announced it at the same conference where they revealed the NGP.

Back