• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Happy Home Designer - Frequently Asked Questions (Got a question? Look here!)

Is it possible to make the upstairs/basement bigger?

- - - Post Merge - - -

I just got my first pack--Nothing really interesting besides Isabelle. It's sparkly, #1 in the first series, and says 'SP'. Is she unique and worth a lot? Could I trade her for Marshal? Thank you!

Isabelle is one of the 'special' cards because she's a major NPC. There's one special card in every package and since there isn't as many special cards are there is villager cards I'd say Isabelle is probably fairly common. But if someone hasn't found Isabelle yet and wants her you probably could trade her for anything their willing to give away. Amiibo cards are really random and they all have equal value. Marshal isn't any more popular as any Teir 5 villager because you can't choose which cards you get.
Also, I don't believe Marshal has been released yet. I think he's coming in Series 3.

- - - Post Merge - - -

How do I use custom designs as wallpaper? Is it possible?

Yes. You just tap a design in your custom design menu, and the option "spread in room" will be there. Tap on it and you'll be able to use the design on walls and floors.

With larger floor plans, are those only available when you redesign a villagers home? Or will they eventually appear on the menu when you first start talking to a new villager?

Is there anyway to change the land of plot you make a villagers house on? I accidentally picked fall season and it goes nothing with the theme I want. >_>

stupid question maybe but, do they delete the houses we make for the challenge entries? :c because I can't find any way to get back to the one I made for the culinary contest... not even it's specific code takes you there. If that's the case that's really bull****, I just put ages of work into my space invaders entry and would like to be able to keep it after the contest ends D: I'll have to redesign it in a villagers house whilst I can see it and document it ><

AND A SECOND QUESTION: how do we set a custom pattern as a roof, I've seen people do it but I have no option for it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

- - - Post Merge - - -

Is there anyway to change the land of plot you make a villagers house on? I accidentally picked fall season and it goes nothing with the theme I want. >_>

revisit the villager in their current house and select "new house" (be careful not to accidentally press no because I did this and they no longer offered any options when I spoke to them again, so I had to leave and revisit again to get the option back)

Last edited:
stupid question maybe but, do they delete the houses we make for the challenge entries? :c because I can't find any way to get back to the one I made for the culinary contest... not even it's specific code takes you there. If that's the case that's really bull****, I just put ages of work into my space invaders entry and would like to be able to keep it after the contest ends D: I'll have to redesign it in a villagers house whilst I can see it and document it ><

AND A SECOND QUESTION: how do we set a custom pattern as a roof, I've seen people do it but I have no option for it.

For question 1, ALL uploaded designs to HHN get wiped after a very short period of time. I don't know the confirmed amount, but I've heard rumors say as short as they're gone after 3 days.

It's best to take screenshots of your HHN designs before uploading it since it's something you can't revisit. I know it doesn't help for old designs, but it will help for any future ones.

For question 2, I forget the exact path to do it, but basically you have to be outside, select the custom design you want to use, and then one of those options lets you put it on the roof.

For question 1, ALL uploaded designs to HHN get wiped after a very short period of time. I don't know the confirmed amount, but I've heard rumors say as short as they're gone after 3 days.

It's best to take screenshots of your HHN designs before uploading it since it's something you can't revisit. I know it doesn't help for old designs, but it will help for any future ones.

For question 2, I forget the exact path to do it, but basically you have to be outside, select the custom design you want to use, and then one of those options lets you put it on the roof.

er... are you sure? because all my others are still there, it's only the contest one that's gone o . o
and what would be the point in uploads at all if they all disappeared in 3 days o - 0
the popular rooms have been the same for as long as I've had the game so >W>

er... are you sure? because all my others are still there, it's only the contest one that's gone o . o
and what would be the point in uploads at all if they all disappeared in 3 days o - 0
the popular rooms have been the same for as long as I've had the game so >W>

The option of anyone finding them by searching in Newest, by Villager or by Building disappears after 3 days. After 3 days in order for anyone to visit you must give them the code. Nobody can visit by finding in randomly anymore.
The codes do not dissapear completely in 3 days.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Is it possible to make the upstairs/basement bigger?

I still need an answer to this.

revisit the villager in their current house and select "new house" (be careful not to accidentally press no because I did this and they no longer offered any options when I spoke to them again, so I had to leave and revisit again to get the option back)

Thank you!

Okay so with that done I've kinda noticed the villager will no longer request a certain theme and just says I'll leave it up to you. Is there anyway to change that? I've looked on google and someone else has the same problem but no replies on it. :(

Thank you!

Okay so with that done I've kinda noticed the villager will no longer request a certain theme and just says I'll leave it up to you. Is there anyway to change that? I've looked on google and someone else has the same problem but no replies on it. :(

No, they idea for the house clears, but the stuff you've already put in their house remains (just not the wall things) So if you recall their theme you can still use it for them. And when you go to save it it asked for a name for the house and you can type in the theme. =]

- - - Post Merge - - -

I still need an answer to this.

I do not believe the basement and attic can be extended they are set at the 6X6(?) size, but you can make the main floor as big as 12X8 which is really awesome.

The option of anyone finding them by searching in Newest, by Villager or by Building disappears after 3 days. After 3 days in order for anyone to visit you must give them the code. Nobody can visit by finding in randomly anymore.
The codes do not dissapear completely in 3 days.

Oh right, I was going to say it's been at least a week and I've just gone back into the game and everything is still there.
It doesn't really answer my original question though about the challenge designs, because I can't get to my first one by it's number or QR... it seems they really do wipe those then? Unless you win, and then they get to stay in the winners section?

I don't mind them only being accessible by code, that's how I was going to promote them anyway coz no one finds non jap players in game anyway hahah

I want to get this game, but can you talk to other people when visiting their houses?

The animals? Yes, but they have fairly limited things that they say.

If you mean actual people, no. There is no live interaction with anyone in this game. It's kinda equivalent to New Leaf's Dream Suite, where you can visit the houses other people designed but that's it.

Is there any way I can get DLC items I missed? I got Louie and then I've missed everything else... I really want those items from Claude D:

Is there any way I can get DLC items I missed? I got Louie and then I've missed everything else... I really want those items from Claude D:

I heard that they cycle back through but I haven't had any luck getting Filly when I check my little "3DS" upstairs for special requests.

You can only get the DLC that is currently available. The reason you were able to get Louie is because he was released again. No other animals have been released twice yet.

Next month there is a new animal (Maddie).

I really want to play this game, but I have a hard time justifying the $39 price tag for the digital copy on the online store. For those who have bought it, is there any place that sells the game for less? Amazon has it around 33 dollars and so far it seems to be the best price for the game.

I have no idea if this is already answered since I just jumped in the last page but, who are the villagers that I should look after when I wanted to unlock cactus items (cactus, round/tall mini cactus, mini cactus, etc.), Fishing Tourney and Bug-Off items? I unlocked desert cactus from Poncho, but I still need to find out about the other cactus items.

EDIT: I already unlocked the cactus, tall cactus, and round mini cactus from Boone. I just need to know who should I look after to unlock Fishing Tourney and Bug-Off items. Also, whose villager unlocks the kayak?

Last edited:
I just checked my happy home network designs and I see only half of my designs there; I know i never deleted any of them. Does anyone know why and if there is a way to fix this? i haven't played HHN for about a month or more except for the february challenge and to get the DLC.

Back