• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

PSP2 Revealed at Sony's Tokyo Event

Lol, honestly, I don't know why people are against the idea of having a smartphone, and game system all in one. It's not like smartphones don't have the processing power to handle hardcore portable games, it's just that there are a lack of good games, which is why people don't look at smartphones as gaming devices. As we've seen in the past games really make up whether or not the console is worth buying, which is why the DS did so well, because it had great games. Once some major devs understand that a smartphone doesn't need to just have these little minigames, I'm sure we'll see an increase of quality games. Plus just imagine the great possibilities of not being limited to just one 'console' to play all you games on. You'll be able to play on whatever phone you please(well, if we're talking about the Playstation Suite, android phones only for now, but there are a ton of them out there) so you don't have to be limited to one design type, or manufacturer.
Yes, smartphones certainly have the processing power to handle hardcore games, but they're not built for gaming. Handheld systems like the 3DS are built specifically and primarily for gaming, unlike smartphones. Also, the controls... Handheld gaming systems actually have buttons for controls, whereas smartphones...don't. Instead they use their multitouch screens as the control input, which works, but...not as good as buttons. Now, there are quite a few smartphone games that make great use of the multitouch controls, but when you think about it, most of them would work just as good, if not better, with button controls, stylus controls, or a combination of the two (and this is proven by a number of smartphone games being ported to DS, such as Plants vs. Zombies, Angry Birds, etc.).

And, yes, stylus touchscreen controls are different from multitouch controls. Though multitouch controls work very well for smartphones, tablets, and computers (I freaking love the multitouch gestures on my Mac), they're not really the best for gaming, or at least hardcore gaming. Why? Because you're fingers are blocking the screen! Now, some more casual games can be played with multitouch controls very effectively, but with more hardcore games, often times your fingers just get in the way of the action. Not to mention that you're given virtual on-screen buttons to press, which take up even more of the screen, and they don't feel as good as using real buttons, nor are they as precise. Have you ever used a virtual "analog" stick? They suck!

Anyways, I think you can see what I'm getting at. With multitouch smartphone gaming, your view of the screen is obstructed with your fingers and on-screen buttons. But with traditional handheld gaming systems, you have real, physical buttons to press that are precise and satisfying, and a full screen to enjoy. And in the case of the DS and 3DS, you have a stylus-controlled resistive (non-multitouch) touchscreen, which is better suited for gaming for multiple reasons. For one, because there's no multitouch, and because of the fact that you already have physical buttons, no game is ever going to give you virtual buttons to press. And when there is input to be made on the touchscreen, most of the time it's just a little tap, stroke, or slide, which hardly obstructs the screen. And even if you were playing a touch-heavy game, you're using a slim, compact stylus, not your thick finger(s), so screen blockage is minimal. Besides, in most games, most of the action takes place on the top screen, with the bottom screen being used mainly for menus, commands, etc. (in other words, nothing that you would really care about having blocked from view anyway). This is especially true for the 3DS, as the top screen is the 3D screen, which will most definitely display most of the action. That's the beauty of having two screens.

Now, I realize that the PSP2/NGP does have buttons in addition to a multitouch screen and pad, so a lot of these arguments aren't valid concerning it. But at least one point is still valid, and that's the fact that with any multitouch controls, chances are you're going to be blocking your view of the screen from time to time with your fingers. And the PSP2/NGP doesn't have the advantage of having a second screen like the DS/3DS. But that aside, the PSP2/NGP does have the capability of providing hardcore games with minimal, non-intrusive multitouch controls, since it does have buttons and the touchscreen doesn't have to be used as the only control input, or at all. But will the developers see that, or will the PSP2/NGP's (hopefully larger than the PSP's) library be flooded with casual smartphone-like games and App Store ports? Only time will tell, I suppose. I'm not gonna knock it before it's even released, though. I'm only commenting on its similarity to smartphones, which I dislike. That doesn't mean it will be bad, though. I'll give it a chance to prove itself...or fall flat. Of course, I'll probably never get one myself anyway, just because most of the games that I like aren't available for it, but that's a whole different argument.

@ gaming on phones

i've often times emulated game boy games (pokemon mainly) on my older cell phone that supported java
loved that.
other games were still playable (ghouls and ghosts was difficult, but that's just the game) if i tweaked the button layout a bit.

the only reason i didn't play gold/silver/game boy color games was because my phone wasn't powerful enough. go figure.
i could see myself playing a fully-fledged RPG on a cell phone, no big deal.

could i see myself playing street fighter, any FPS, or anything that requires a running-jump? probably not without a WHOLE lot of macros and such shortcuts. but still, it's possible, and can be done very well, if you have reasonable expectations and the patience to fiddle with it until you're comfortable.

the psp2 still won't be a phone, though.. lol

Yes, smartphones certainly have the processing power to handle hardcore games, but they're not built for gaming. Handheld systems like the 3DS are built specifically and primarily for gaming, unlike smartphones. Also, the controls... Handheld gaming systems actually have buttons for controls, whereas smartphones...don't. Instead they use their multitouch screens as the control input, which works, but...not as good as buttons. Now, there are quite a few smartphone games that make great use of the multitouch controls, but when you think about it, most of them would work just as good, if not better, with button controls, stylus controls, or a combination of the two (and this is proven by a number of smartphone games being ported to DS, such as Plants vs. Zombies, Angry Birds, etc.).

And, yes, stylus touchscreen controls are different from multitouch controls. Though multitouch controls work very well for smartphones, tablets, and computers (I freaking love the multitouch gestures on my Mac), they're not really the best for gaming, or at least hardcore gaming. Why? Because you're fingers are blocking the screen! Now, some more casual games can be played with multitouch controls very effectively, but with more hardcore games, often times your fingers just get in the way of the action. Not to mention that you're given virtual on-screen buttons to press, which take up even more of the screen, and they don't feel as good as using real buttons, nor are they as precise. Have you ever used a virtual "analog" stick? They suck!

Anyways, I think you can see what I'm getting at. With multitouch smartphone gaming, your view of the screen is obstructed with your fingers and on-screen buttons. But with traditional handheld gaming systems, you have real, physical buttons to press that are precise and satisfying, and a full screen to enjoy. And in the case of the DS and 3DS, you have a stylus-controlled resistive (non-multitouch) touchscreen, which is better suited for gaming for multiple reasons. For one, because there's no multitouch, and because of the fact that you already have physical buttons, no game is ever going to give you virtual buttons to press. And when there is input to be made on the touchscreen, most of the time it's just a little tap, stroke, or slide, which hardly obstructs the screen. And even if you were playing a touch-heavy game, you're using a slim, compact stylus, not your thick finger(s), so screen blockage is minimal. Besides, in most games, most of the action takes place on the top screen, with the bottom screen being used mainly for menus, commands, etc. (in other words, nothing that you would really care about having blocked from view anyway). This is especially true for the 3DS, as the top screen is the 3D screen, which will most definitely display most of the action. That's the beauty of having two screens.

Now, I realize that the PSP2/NGP does have buttons in addition to a multitouch screen and pad, so a lot of these arguments aren't valid concerning it. But at least one point is still valid, and that's the fact that with any multitouch controls, chances are you're going to be blocking your view of the screen from time to time with your fingers. And the PSP2/NGP doesn't have the advantage of having a second screen like the DS/3DS. But that aside, the PSP2/NGP does have the capability of providing hardcore games with minimal, non-intrusive multitouch controls, since it does have buttons and the touchscreen doesn't have to be used as the only control input, or at all. But will the developers see that, or will the PSP2/NGP's (hopefully larger than the PSP's) library be flooded with casual smartphone-like games and App Store ports? Only time will tell, I suppose. I'm not gonna knock it before it's even released, though. I'm only commenting on its similarity to smartphones, which I dislike. That doesn't mean it will be bad, though. I'll give it a chance to prove itself...or fall flat. Of course, I'll probably never get one myself anyway, just because most of the games that I like aren't available for it, but that's a whole different argument.

The problem of not having a physical buttons can be easily addressed via bluetooth peripheral much like the iphone has some cases which also act as a slide out keyboard. You could do the same with any smartphone, except using a gamepad of some sort instead. Also, like you said about the touchscreen, most things that use touch commands aren't really the bulk of the gameplay anyway, so having your finger be in the way for a short while shouldn't cause too much harm.

The problem of not having a physical buttons can be easily addressed via bluetooth peripheral much like the iphone has some cases which also act as a slide out keyboard. You could do the same with any smartphone, except using a gamepad of some sort instead. Also, like you said about the touchscreen, most things that use touch commands aren't really the bulk of the gameplay anyway, so having your finger be in the way for a short while shouldn't cause too much harm.
Using a Bluetooth controller kind of defeats the purpose of a portable device... You know, portability. And using a keyboard with micro-sized keys for gaming is just ridiculous.

Using a Bluetooth controller kind of defeats the purpose of a portable device... You know, portability. And using a keyboard with micro-sized keys for gaming is just ridiculous.
he merely pointed out that it was a possibility, especially if you're already DIY'ing it.
having a peripheral that a company supports JUST for a game on a smart phone is obviously ridiculous, as is gaming on a smart phone for the moment. it's still possible, if you do it right.

I'm not sure if I'm getting my point across clearly here. Imagine something like this, except instead of a keypad, it was a gamepad. Now, there are some obvious drawbacks sure, but this is still a fairly new concept, and has a lot of room to improve. I imagine the added bulk wouldn't be that much worse anyways considering the 3DS will be fairly thick, and people will sure to be carrying that around. Plus I'd rather carry around a slightly bulkier phone than a phone and a game console.

Minis are Playstation's gaming apps I suppose, little 16 MB or more games that help pass the time. Most of them are a waste of money, only ones I'd recommend getting is Angry Birds, Tetris, Fieldrunners and Age of Zombies, two of which means I'm assuming you don't already have on your phone or millions of other copies of.

I don't see the touch screen in the front getting in the way much, and I doubt very seriously that touch features will be used heavily(if even considered) in Sony's more hardcore games. Since most are shooters or have some sort of aiming system, I don't see it being good for anything but the occasional melee attack or puzzle. And the whole two screen argument is silly really, your vision isn't going to be terribly obstructed unless you've got fingers the size of a roll of quarters and even then how often do games have you watch the top screen while you interact with the bottom screen on the DS?

Also, I'm not sure why you're hating it the NGP going the "smartphone" route when Nintendo is taking a similar approach. Apps and the gyroscope are only the beginning really. They've got to compete with Apple(why does this make me laugh) and smartphones running Android in order to keep people happy. Like it or not we all know that's what they're doing besides pleasing their fanbases.

Someone remind me of what makes the 3DS so unique, other than the obvious

500x_5_01.jpg

Meet the Psp2 :)

I'm not getting it though.

Unless it's $300+ I will be! Though $200 is still kind of pricey, but expected.

Eh, I'm betting it'll go at around the $300 dollar mark minimum. The 3ds is only $250, granted that's expensive for one of Nintendo's machine's, but the NGP has some serious hardware on it, and probably won't go cheap.

I don't really want a PSP2.

Unless it turns out to be awesome. Then I will. But as of now, no.

Back