PSA for Switch Holders: Google Analytics AUTOMATICALLY TURNED ON!

corlee1289

Bells
Stardust Easter Egg
Crescent Moon Easter Egg
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Prismatic Easter Egg
Aurora Easter Egg
Nightmare Easter Egg
Dreamy Easter Egg
Frost Easter Egg
Zen Easter Egg
Galaxy Easter Egg
I haven't seen this yet here in the forum, so I wanted to let Switch users know:

THE NEW SWITCH UPDATE TO 11.0 OPTS YOU IN FOR GOOGLE ANALYTICS and is AUTOMATICALLY TURNED ON!

This means that Nintendo has a deal with Google to share with them your data for advertising purposes

To turn it off, you need to do it TWICE!!

For the FIRST TIME:
1. Go to the eShop and select your user
2. Go to your profile (your avatar) where your funds are and account info is
3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page
4. There you will see "Google Analytics Preferences"
5. Select Change
6. Select "DON'T SHARE"

For the SECOND TIME:
1. Go to your home page
2. Select the "Nintendo Switch Online" icon and choose your user
3. The app will load, click on your icon (your avatar)
4. Scroll down to the bottom (underneath the Save Data Cloud in small-to-hard-to-find-tiny print)
5. Don't let the cute cloud fool you!
6. Google Analytics Preferences, select "HERE"
7. Select "Do Not Allow"

ADD ON: According to @Burumun it doesn't seem to the case for those located in Europe or Australia.

This post is for those who want to deactivate the tracking from Google Analytics. I know there are some who don’t mind, but at least those who do mind are made aware of it.

Last edited:
You know, I heard about this and already changed it in the eShop. I can't seem to find that second place though?
On your HOME PAGE, they added a new icon which is the "Nintendo Switch Online" icon (located all the way on the bottom left of your home screen). Select your user icon, it will load the Switch Online app, then you need to click your icon again. There will be a cute cloud to show you the Save Data Cloud thing, it's underneath that in SUPER SMALL PRINT

Thank you for dragging this into the daylight! Something I might have allowed if asked nicely has now been dis-allowed. Great catch!

Nothing. Every single website you visit utilizes Google Analytics.
Oh. Ok... good to know.

I mean, I get the privacy thing kind of, but I guess I still don't get why people get upset that someone's using data that doesn't seem to be very personal. Like, if they're giving out my address and passwords, that's not cool. If they're giving out information about what I play and stuff (which I'm guessing is what they're collecting), why is that bad? If it helps improve their data/search results/whatever, go for it as far as I'm concerned.

Some people just don't want their information being shared. That's whey people put things like VPNs, adblock and extensions that prevent web sites from tracking their activity on their computers but other than that, there isn't really any harm or risk or anything. Just mostly a privacy issue.

Thank you so much for sharing this! I don't like this sneaky sort of s**t. I'm disappointed in Nintendo.

now we need a psa for (insert any website name) having google analytics turned on

Oh. Ok... good to know.

I mean, I get the privacy thing kind of, but I guess I still don't get why people get upset that someone's using data that doesn't seem to be very personal. Like, if they're giving out my address and passwords, that's not cool. If they're giving out information about what I play and stuff (which I'm guessing is what they're collecting), why is that bad? If it helps improve their data/search results/whatever, go for it as far as I'm concerned.
It’s more of the underhanded nature that Nintendo has made it automatically we all are registered than having the option to opt-in to this.

Not only that, but it’s super hard to find (super small print and underneath a bunch of stuff), rather than it being blatantly open about it.

So, it’s not an upset thing, but more of a breach of privacy and them being underhanded about it. It’s a consent thing. Consent was not given for them to collect information and we didn’t opt-in to it. It was done without our permission and we didn’t sign up for it.

Last edited:
You actually did consent, perhaps you didn't read the Privacy Policy you agreed to when you first powered up your Switch:

Section 1 outlines the information you consented them to collect, and section 2 outlines how it is used:
2. How we use your information
We use the information that you give us and the information we collect to deliver, maintain and improve our services, including for the performance of troubleshooting, data analytics, testing, research, statistical analysis and surveys. We also use this information to provide you with services that you request, develop new services, suggest personally relevant features, offer you customized content, allow you to participate in interactive features of our services, manage accounts, provide you with tailored advertising, send you promotional materials from us or our affiliates and trusted business partners, keep our services, business and users safe and secure, comply with applicable laws and regulations, and to protect or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.

I mean, if I am to be honest, I don't read this stuff either.... but it is presented to you.

You actually did consent, perhaps you didn't read the Privacy Policy you agreed to when you first powered up your Switch:

Section 1 outlines the information you consented them to collect, and section 2 outlines how it is used:

I mean, if I am to be honest, I don't read this stuff either.... but it is presented to you.

Yeah honestly, I think most of us just skip and agree to whatever they ask 😂

Back