• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Pokémon Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield General Discussion

I mean, I could say the same about elitist gamers who attack people like me as well who enjoy the hand-holding, labeling us as filthy casuals who aren't real gamers. In discussions like these, opinions are brushed aside one way or another inevitably. It's either you saying you like to play games your way or me saying I like it my way. To each his own.

Also, when fans cry foul in massive numbers? That just sounds like a majority vote to me. There's a reason why the term, "overrated" exist. Just because an opinion is shared by the collective masses doesn't mean it's true. I don't mind you wanting things to go back to the old ways, but I think my minority point of view shouldn't be brushed aside either.

Also, my intention was never to attack your opinion, contrary to what your post sounds like (brushing off my opinion and cramming your own). That's why I added the part about how "it might be a difference of philosophy" to state that it might just be subjective to our own preferences.

Oh, and by the way? I've played the games since RBY too. Guess I just had a different experience growing up with the games, huh? People having different experience playing all the same games. Imagine that. It's as if games could be played in other ways and still be enjoyable, not just adhering to a single linear design.

Like seriously, it's because of all these so-called "hardcore gamers" that we get blend, generic open-world roguelike AAA RPGs with the same formula and designs these days, appealing to the same masses that bought their older games. So boring.

Oh, I didn't brush off your earlier comment. Not in the slightest. I mean, you're the one that's nitpicking my comments and turning them into an essay. I simply replied to you why some "hardcore elitist" gamers want harder games. I know that there are..."casuals"...who play differently and want a more relaxed gaming experience. I recognize that. Thats why I play AC. However, this...reply...that I'm quoting, it seems that you are full of hypocrisies. You could have simply replied with: "To each his own" I didn't have a problem with it until after that point. I even could apologized that I took your comment out of context and thought you were being condescending. Now, I'm not going to nitpick you, but Dexit did divide the fandom. Fans did cry foul. Being able to play with a favourite mon generation after generation and suddenly not being able to did make fans angry. Fans have strong opinions. That's why fans are fans. Fans are entitled to have their own opinions. I do and you do. I don't have an issue with how you play or how anyone plays. I have an issue with Game Freak, not with you or "casual" players. Is it wrong to voice my opinion to want something more challenging in a franchise that I've loved since childhood? No. So here's my "elitist" thoughts on this: Let's agree to disagree.

Oh, I didn't brush off your earlier comment. Not in the slightest. I mean, you're the one that's nitpicking my comments and turning them into an essay. I simply replied to you why some "hardcore elitist" gamers want harder games. I know that there are..."casuals"...who play differently and want a more relaxed gaming experience. I recognize that. Thats why I play AC. However, this...reply...that I'm quoting, it seems that you are full of hypocrisies. You could have simply replied with: "To each his own" I didn't have a problem with it until after that point. I even could apologized that I took your comment out of context and thought you were being condescending. Now, I'm not going to nitpick you, but Dexit did divide the fandom. Fans did cry foul. Being able to play with a favourite mon generation after generation and suddenly not being able to did make fans angry. Fans have strong opinions. That's why fans are fans. Fans are entitled to have their own opinions. I do and you do. I don't have an issue with how you play or how anyone plays. I have an issue with Game Freak, not with you or "casual" players. Is it wrong to voice my opinion to want something more challenging in a franchise that I've loved since childhood? No. So here's my "elitist" thoughts on this: Let's agree to disagree.
:rolleyes: Basically a polite way of saying f*** off.

Also, how was I a hypocrite? By pointing out that I said that we can all have our own philosophies to begin with? By simply pointing out that a popular opinion isn't necessarily an accurate one? NECESSARILY. I never said "F*** your opinion! I'm correct!"

But you're right, let's f*** off and not speak to each other. Ignored and blocked.

Just for the record, at no point did I state that either you or I were correct; I said that "the changes to these games might not be to your liking." That's it. You're the one that twisted it into some conspiracy where I've SOMEHOW dismissed your comment. What a character you are.

Last edited:
Wow...what a trip. Anyway...Sorry folx! I'll just carry on with some Swish stuff

I've been breeding Pokémon for next games. These Pokémon are for future games and I'll be sending them to Home. Even if Dynamax and Gmax are Galar gimmicks, if GF decides to bring back them for future gens is it worth it to fill up the Dynamax level? I've been doing for all my bred Pokémon so far. Maybe I shouldn't continue feeding them Dynamax candies.

So, onto more positive SwSh comments again rather than being a negative nanny...

I like how the gym challenges offer a more satisfying level of challenge than the previous gyms. Yes, in spite of what I said about hand-holding, I don't mind a little bit of challenge that rewards me for just thinking a little bit (like using proper type match-ups, for another example). Definitely more rewarding than previous regional gyms by putting your wits and intelligence to the test, not just your knowledge of type-matchups and patience in leveling up.

Like, there's quite a few improvements here that people have obviously dismissed out of spite for the Dexit incident. I was bugged about Dexit as well and I only learned about it after I bought the game too, but I'm just glad that all those negative feedback didn't align with my own enjoyment.

It would be a shame if Gamefreak decides to abandon these good points about the game just because of fan outcry. If every artist had listened to fan demands instead of trusting their instincts, we wouldn't have gotten bold and ambitious movies/video games that dare to step out of the norm. I just hope Gamefreak developers are wiser than that.

I think that the world has enough entertainment existing that I wouldn't necessarily get my knickers in a twist just because a movie or a game didn't go my way. For example, I loathe Tom Holland's Spider-Man, but I only spent a little bit complaining about him before I moved on to more fun stuff that doesn't raise my blood pressure.

Last edited:
I'm not going to take sides here, but will just mention that fans don't dictate what companies do with their games, at least opinion-wise. GameFreak decides what they want to do with Pokemon, and people have the option to either choose to support it or not to support it. It's along the lines of voting with your wallet. Sword and Shield ended up being the third highest-selling Pokemon games out of them all (look it up if you don't believe me), so if people didn't want to support the direction it was going in that time has long passed. I can't say for sure what PL:A and BDSP are going to be like, but as an avid fan of the franchise I'm looking forward to them either way.

Last edited:
I'm not going to take sides here, but will just mention that fans don't dictate what companies do with their games, at least opinion-wise. GameFreak decides what they want to do with Pokemon, and people have the option to either choose to support it or not to support it. It's along the lines of voting with your wallet. Sword and Shield ended up being the third highest-selling Pokemon games out of them all (look it up if you don't believe me), so if people didn't want to support the direction it was going in that time has long passed. I can't say for sure what PL:A and BDSP are going to be like, but as an avid fan of the franchise I'm looking forward to them either way.

It's pretty crazy too considering the amount of negativity surrounding Sword and Shield when it first came out. That one rumor that got spread around about a bug deleting your save data well as people up in arms about the massive Dex cut. I remember when I went to buy it at Walmart the day it came out, someone slapped a warning sign telling people not to buy the game. I actually still have the picture which I pasted below.

1632367210009.png

It's pretty crazy too considering the amount of negativity surrounding Sword and Shield when it first came out. That one rumor that got spread around about a bug deleting your save data well as people up in arms about the massive Dex cut. I remember when I went to buy it at Walmart the day it came out, someone slapped a warning sign telling people not to buy the game. I actually still have the picture which I pasted below.

View attachment 400905
Wow, that's crazy! Goes to show that people just want to play Pokemon, for better or worse.

View attachment 400905
lol Redundant information. I actually enjoyed those cutscenes, but to each his own.

Also, you could import Bulbasaur and Squirtle from Pokémon Home with no problem. Sure, they might not appear in the Pokedex, but that doesn't mean they're "cut" like the "warning" says. It just means you don't get some insignificant registration on a digital codex.

It reminds me of my younger self, when I too was a fanatic warning people not to pay money to watch hollow Hollywood movies like Transformers. No offense, but that's a pretty pathetic move. Glad I grew out of that phase.

Wow, that's crazy! Goes to show that people just want to play Pokemon, for better or worse.

Exactly. Its Pokemon, the world's best selling video game franchise thats worth 90 billion. Not only that, its the only mainline game on the Switch so it was going to sell line crazy anyway. It was guaranteed from the start to make money. I still bought Sword even though I disagreed with Dexit. I just want to play with my mons. Who cares if I give GF more money. Its my money and GF is still giving me new Pokémon games.

You know, initially, I was annoyed about the Dexit incident, but the more I think about it, I'm kinda relieved now that I don't have to collect 800+ Pokémon. I hope they'll continue to cut it down to make completing the Pokedex much easier.

Sure, you could use Pokémon Home, but now that I've experienced Pokémon on my HDTV, I don't want to go back to those 3DS sprites anymore just to collect mons, not to mention the thousands of hours I would have to spend on those old games.

And really, when you get honest about it, "Gotta catch 'em all" was a marketing slogan to get kids to buy both versions of the game back then. It's all just to make money, these collecting schemes, making sure you buy every version of the game to collect 'em all. It's like a lite version of microtransactions.

I've been going a little crazy with team building lately. Almost done building my Monotype water team which consists of Primarina, Pelipper, Kingdra, Swampert, Toxapex and Gyrados. I'm not really sure how confident I feel about it though. I don't really know how to deal with Rillabroom since it gets that priority bonus from the grassy terrain and almost every water Pokemon is weak to grass.

Caught a Gigantamax Venusaur (with Chlorophyll ability) in a den today after an hour and a half of time traveling in the Forest of Focus. Never thought I'd catch one, considering it's only a 5% spawn rate (so I threw one of my four Master Balls, three of which I got from trade). Phew. Good day indeed. I had fun raiding it with four other strong teammates too.

As a matter of fact, I've been pretty addicted to max-raiding the whole day. All in all, a good and productive day.

It's sad no matter how hard I try to do things the legit way I always give into the temptation of cheating. I was needing specific egg moves for a couple of Pokemon which are not possible to get this game without going back to previous gens. So I would either need to spend a significant amount of time in old games or trade people. I just used a save editor on Pokemon Y to generate a Pokemon with the egg moves I want. Though I made the IVs crap and nature not the one I wanted so that I'd have to work for the rest. I just think egg moves really ruin a lot of the fun so I sadly just had to give in to get them by other means.

It's sad no matter how hard I try to do things the legit way I always give into the temptation of cheating. I was needing specific egg moves for a couple of Pokemon which are not possible to get this game without going back to previous gens. So I would either need to spend a significant amount of time in old games or trade people. I just used a save editor on Pokemon Y to generate a Pokemon with the egg moves I want. Though I made the IVs crap and nature not the one I wanted so that I'd have to work for the rest. I just think egg moves really ruin a lot of the fun so I sadly just had to give in to get them by other means.
I wouldn't feel bad about that. Doing it the legit way would be far too much work.

I really liked egg moves because it made a pokemon more special. Now you can just put two pokemon in a daycare and the one will learn the egg moves from the other so now any pokemon can have egg moves, tho at least it makes competitive easier I suppose.
I know when there is a new gen or game, there is new TMs so Egg Moves get removed because it becomes redundant to have both.
Also due to cut pokemon, some Egg Move parents became unobtainable so the egg move was removed. Interesting tho, I dont think they updated old pokemon Egg Move learn sets when the DLC added pokemon back.
It would be annoying to have to transfer over pokemon from previous gens to get a specific move. The only issue is that if you want to do certain competitions, you are only allowed Galar mark pokemon or a pokemon with the Battle mark from the Battle Tower. You can give pokemon from old gens the battle mark so they become eligible to go into competitions but this causes their moves to be wiped and replaced with its standard level up moves. This doesn't matter if you don't plan to go into competitions.

Oh, and if you are genning pokemon, breed it so then you have a legit offspring. In the past I hated having to make a parent pokemon so i just genned one and bred until i got the offspring i wanted.

Ah yes, I might be able to get my Zacian code tomorrow.

I used to complain about legendaries being shiny locked for events but I kinda like it because now we can get shiny legendaries in Cherish balls.

The distributions for the Pokémon European International Championships have begun. The distribution for Pokémon Sword & Shield is a Dracovish based on the Dracovish used by 2020 Oceania International Champion Marco Silva and is obtained with the code EU1C2022G1FT. It runs until April 25th 2022

Don't forget to claim!

Back