• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion

Yeah I'm having INSANE luck with shinies today (Mareanie was last week though, haha). In fairness, before today though I had been breeding at least 500+ Rowlet before with no luck at all.
do you even have the shiny charm? If you don't I am going to slam my face against my wall

So, some days ago I went to fight Tapu Fini to see if it was as hard as I had read/seen.

It was... not as hard as I expected. Even though Komoo-o was my lead and it could only attack it with Brick Break, I just spammed it until I got Fini to a small part of it's health bar. Then it faints Komoo-o. Then i take out Raichu to use Thunder Wave and capture it with a single Ultra Ball.

I got lucky with its stats, too. It had a Timid nature, and its 3 perfect IVs were HP, Defense and Sp.Defense. Her Attack and Sp.Attack IVs are "Decent", while her Speed is "Pretty good", in case you're wondering.

The other Tapus aren't as easy to catch for me, though. Maybe I did get really lucky with Fini.

Something does seem up. The Tapu have a catch rate of 3, which is the same as the legendary birds in FireRed and LeafGreen? But I used to get those to red, sleep them, and it would still take a few hours of resets, sometimes each reset with more than 40 ultra balls, and actually catch it. Same with the regis in Emerald. The Tapu however I have all caught easily in less than 10 ultra balls, at yellow health, with no sleep. Has the catch formula changed? I can't see that I've just been "lucky" for the Tapu.

Something does seem up. The Tapu have a catch rate of 3, which is the same as the legendary birds in FireRed and LeafGreen? But I used to get those to red, sleep them, and it would still take a few hours of resets, sometimes each reset with more than 40 ultra balls, and actually catch it. Same with the regis in Emerald. The Tapu however I have all caught easily in less than 10 ultra balls, at yellow health, with no sleep. Has the catch formula changed? I can't see that I've just been "lucky" for the Tapu.

You must have been lucky, as for me, Tapu Koko took about 30+ balls for me, and a majority of them were Ultra Balls.

EDIT: He also had red health.

Last edited:
Knocking out the Pokedex little by little and just finished the Eevee page today. It's so beautiful!

Knocking out the Pokedex little by little and just finished the Eevee page today. It's so beautiful!

The only Eevee I have left to get is Vaporeon, which shouldn't be hard, since I have like 4 Water Stones and Eevees are so easy to come by for me.

You must have been lucky, as for me, Tapu Koko took about 30+ balls for me, and a majority of them were Ultra Balls.

I guess it is just random luck after all. The basic catch formula doesn't look different. Just seemed too coincidental to be true...

So, some days ago I went to fight Tapu Fini to see if it was as hard as I had read/seen.

It was... not as hard as I expected. Even though Komoo-o was my lead and it could only attack it with Brick Break, I just spammed it until I got Fini to a small part of it's health bar. Then it faints Komoo-o. Then i take out Raichu to use Thunder Wave and capture it with a single Ultra Ball.

I got lucky with its stats, too. It had a Timid nature, and its 3 perfect IVs were HP, Defense and Sp.Defense. Her Attack and Sp.Attack IVs are "Decent", while her Speed is "Pretty good", in case you're wondering.

The other Tapus aren't as easy to catch for me, though. Maybe I did get really lucky with Fini.

Tapu Fini and Tapu Koko are the easiest to catch IMO. I literally just made this startergy up and haven't tried it out so IDK if it works but this is it.

Tapu Koko only knows Electric damaging attacks and Natures Madness (which always does 50% damage), so all you need is to do it get is down to low HP, then use a Ground type or Lightning Rod Pokemon to stop the electric attacks damaging, and then give them leftovers to stop Natures Madness KO'ing. Gastordon and Swinub can both learn Yawn via breeding and are Ground type so you can just put sleep for the extra catch chance, or use a paralysis Lightning Rod Pokemon.

Same thing for Tapu Fini basically - it only learns water moves and Natures Madness as damaging attacks, so just use the same stratergy, but use a Pokemon that has Storm Drain (Gastrodon) once it's HP is low. Only issue is Tapu Fini can learn Aqua Ring to heal it's HP.

While I was in that cave on Poni Island, looking for the Battle Tree, I was thinking on how I should have brought repels. Oops..I had been wandering through and running into Golbat every 3 steps. I started just shadow-balling them with Lunala. I was about to shadow ball another, when I noticed that it was green. Good thing I forgot to buy repels hahaha.

Also, while searching for a wild Munchlax (since they are always holding Leftovers) which have a 5% chance of spawning in a tiny little area...Before I found a Munchlax...I found a shiny Pikipek

I feel that the shiny chances have been increased...

Just got a LVL. 1 Stufful with Egg Moves and perfect IVs in a Love Ball. Seems like my luck is starting to turn!

I haven't bought this game yet

is it any good?

Should I buy it?

It's pretty dang good, yeah. Maybe this is coming from a bias Pok?mon fan who has been into the series for over a decade but I genuinely think it's their best new title in years, definitely holds up against a lot of the other great titles too. Tons to do, collect, great story, fun region, fun new Pok?mon ect. It's worth the purchase and also good if you're just now getting into the series.

While I was in that cave on Poni Island, looking for the Battle Tree, I was thinking on how I should have brought repels. Oops..I had been wandering through and running into Golbat every 3 steps. I started just shadow-balling them with Lunala. I was about to shadow ball another, when I noticed that it was green. Good thing I forgot to buy repels hahaha.

Also, while searching for a wild Munchlax (since they are always holding Leftovers) which have a 5% chance of spawning in a tiny little area...Before I found a Munchlax...I found a shiny Pikipek

I feel that the shiny chances have been increased...

That's just the nature of RNG, sometimes you get extremely lucky when you don't expect or believe it. In Omega Ruby I hatched 3 shiny Ponyta before getting a normal Ponyta that had 6IVs when I was using a 6IV and a 5IV breeding parent, and all three of them were within 85 eggs of each other.

That's just the nature of RNG, sometimes you get extremely lucky when you don't expect or believe it. In Omega Ruby I hatched 3 shiny Ponyta before getting a normal Ponyta that had 6IVs when I was using a 6IV and a 5IV breeding parent, and all three of them were within 85 eggs of each other.

Other times you never ever get a shiny like me ;)
I have only ever gotten one shiny bronzor.... and it had terrible everything else! but you know I used that thing through my whole play through of platinum

I've been breeding for shiny Totodile these past few days and lemme tell ya... it ain't happening. I've just gotta be patient but very annoyingly I'm running out of boxes due to how much I'm breeding. Yikes.

If you guys ever want a good Lure Ball Totodile though with at least 5 ivs, hit me up!

Hi guys! Two recent finds:

C0KtoYwXEAAiUAF.jpg

C0HNxXTXUAAt6Xc.jpg

Last edited:
Man I just can't get into this game anymore. I feel like there's no point in playing ugh like it's just boring. I only have the beast quest left to do but I'm never beating Anabel so... rip. I'm sure I'll go back once I can start transferring shinies from ORAS so I can sell them lol.

Last edited:
Back