Bells
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon%20Snap.gif

System: Nintendo 64
Original Release: 1999
Developer: HAL Laboratory
Number of Wii Points: 1000 points
Virtual Console Release Date: December 10th, 2007

Back in the Nintendo 64 era, Nintendo introduced a lot of new spin-offs to good selling franchises. Mario got the Mario Party series, Donkey Kong got Diddy Kong Racing and Pokemon got Pokemon Stadium and this game, Pokemon Snap. While some of these games later went on to become the roots of a well made franchise, others never did recieve a sequel. They were just abandoned and forgotten about. Pokemon Snap was one of these games that got pushed aside but now, Nintendo has decided to revive it. Now, it's time for Pokemon Snap to make it's debut on Virtual Console.

In Pokemon Snap, your intention is to photograph Pokemon in their natural habitats. Depending on the quality of the photo, you'll receive a set number of points. For example, a high quality photo that showcases a Pokemon dancing will recieve more points that a typical pose of the Pokemon. After acquiring a certain number of points, you'll unlock more terrain to explore and more oppurtunities to take pictures of Pokemon seeing how there are only a certain number of Pokemon in an area.

If your a fan of the anime, you may promptly notice that one of the characters who made a debut in the early days of the anime is the main character in the game. This character is Todd who is a very passionate photographer. Professor Oak also makes an appearance in the game as being your instructor. After each course, he'll sometimes provide you with information or maybe even an item to use to make photographing Pokemon easier.

Throughout the course of the game, you'll unlock more areas to photograph Pokemon. The areas are:
  • Beach
  • Tunnel
  • Volcanoe
  • River
  • Cave
  • Valley
  • Rainbow
In order to explore certain terrains, you'll need to acquire a certain number of points, complete certain objectives or simply find a hidden path. Each course has it's own unique feature and Pokemon meaning you'll have to explore all the areas in order to photograph all 62 Pokemon that are in the game. Please note that these 63 Pokemon are out of the first 151 Pokemon in the National Pokedex.

In a course, you are allowed to take a maximum of 60 pictures. Once you take 60 pictures, your quest will end and you'll immediately go to the evaluation screen where your pictures will be evaluated in different categories. If your photograph of a Pokemon is higher than the high score, you'll get to keep it! Once you get higher than this new score, you'll then have to decide which to throw away.

One of the strangest things about Pokemon Snap is that it's an on rail game. Your vechile will be on a track and your goal is to take pictures of the Pokemon. That makes things way better because then you won't have to focus on operating the vechile and taking pictures. However, this means you can't stop or go back to take a picture of a Pokemon you forgot to photograph. The vechile will keep going until it reaches the end of the course.

To get the best photographs of Pokemon, you'll need a well equipped arsenal of items consisting of items ranging from Pokemon Food to a Pokemon Flute. Pokemon Food allows you to throw apples at Pokemon to get them to strike interesting poses or to get them to try nearer to your vechile so you can get a better shot. Pester Balls work the same way except you can't use them to draw Pokemon nearer but you can use them to get Pokemon out of their hiding spots. A Pokemon Flute is probably the most intriging item because once you play it, Pokemon start dancing and come out from their hiding spots. When a Pokemon is dancing, you'll gain a lot more points than normal so remember to take a lot of pictures of dancing Pokemon!

Pokemon Snap offers some of the best graphics on Nintendo 64 but they aren't detailed. It doesn't really affect your experience with the game but it certainly would improve your enjoyment a little. However, for every negative there are has to be a positive and the postitive in this game is the music. The music really seems to fit the game and it makes the enjoyment of the game excel.

Summary:

When Pokemon Snap made it's debut, I was a but curious if I'd like it but I finally cracked up and decided to buy it and trust me, I had the time of my live. This is one of my favorite games of all time and definitely one of the best Virtual Console titles. I request of all of you to buy this game for yourself and maybe even for a friend as a gift. With the new gift giving feature, this would be the perfect time to give it a try. Remember, there's also an added feature that allows you to send photos to the Wii Message Board!

Scores

1.Presentation: 8/10
2.Graphics:8/10
3.Story: 8/10
4.Sound:8/10
5.Gameplay:8/10
6.Replay Value:9/10
7.Overall:8.7/10

Final Score: 8.7/10

Pros and Cons

Pros

+Great Presentation