• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Persona

Mokuren

Bells
Switch
1228-4657-4697
Island
Do you like the franchise?
Whats your favorit?

I really enjoyed 3. The death theme was really itense and I can't wait for the remake!

4 was also nice, more on the happy side and power of friendship. 5 has the best dungeons and gameplay!

It took me years to warm up to Persona because I compared it to the series it branched off from, Shin Megami Tensei, which is a cool series that deals with moral conflicts, warring between the forces of order and chaos, what society is like during or after an apocalyptic event, etc. Then you see Persona and a not-insignificant factor of it is high school dating sim. I'm somewhere along the asexual spectrum, though not strictly 100% asexual (it's weird and something I've struggled to find a term for for years), and I have little interest in watching romance or dating in media and I have a general distaste for "shipping".

It took until I saw somone's reaction to a specific part of Persona 5 and then I got more interested in Persona. I've come to appreciate the general vibe and theme of Persona and how it ties into Jungian psychology. It's really neat!

My favorite games in the Persona series are Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. They're directly related, Persona 2: Innocent Sin happens and then Persona 2: Eternal Punishment continues from where Innocent Sin left off. I love the overarching plot between the two games, I love the main villain of the duology, and the characters are really cool. Tatsuya's situation is quite sympathetic when you go through the whole story of both games. I also love, love, love that Persona 2: Eternal Punishment has an adult cast. God is it a breath of fresh air. I doubt they'll have another adult cast in future Persona games, but I can hold out a glimmer of hope.

I have a general preference toward the earlier games, so aside from Persona 2 duology, I also like the original Megami Ibunroku Persona. I like that they tie into the main Shin Megami Tensei franchise by way of sharing characters from Shin Megami Tense: If... (the game that started the Persona timeline with the female protagonist, Tamaki, being a minor character in Persona and Persona 2) and Devil Summoner.

While Persona 3, 4 and 5 don't really mention or acknowledge the first three games in the series, I like that there's sort of this narrative throughline and thematic elements maintained throughout the games like the butterfly that you can appreciate if you know the older games.

As for the others? I own them but haven't played them yet, only watched people play them.

4 is a bit too slice of life for me and was responsible for my distaste for the series at first due to its power of friendship aspects, but I like the murder mystery stuff and I like the culprit character responsible. 5 has a cool concept and I like the Phantom Thief gimmick, though I kind of hate that the protagonist is called Joker because there was already a very plot-relevant Joker in Person 2: Innocent Sin. Otherwise, I like it. As for 3, admittedly I've never watched anyone play it yet but I know some general plot stuff and the characters from it.

My favorite characters from the franchise are Baofu, Maya Amano, Tatsuya, Katsuya, Kanji, Naoto, Adachi, Shinjiro, Haru, and the main villain from the Persona 2 games. Also kinda wish Philemon would come back someday but I can understand if they never do, due to why he hasn't been present anyway.

By the way, anyone interested in Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, play the PSP versions. They're enhanced, the PSP version of Eternal Punishment has a side DLC story that dovetails in with the main story and is really cool, and the old PS1 games have terrible English dubbing as well as localization edits (they changed character names and designs from Persona 1 to be more American). Also, don't bother playing the original PS1 Persona, because of the aforementioned localization changes, they absolutely butchered it. Probably best to watch a playthrough of someone playing the Japanese version with an English translation patch or something.

Last edited:
I've only played some of Persona 5 but I adore it. I love the aesthetic and the characters. They're all so fun and have great chemistry together, The dub is also very well done. The gameplay is so addicting and unique, I still haven't found a game like the Persona series. The amount of content for the selling price is well worth it and it's so refreshing to see a video game company actually passionate about creating games. There are so many $90 titles that are only 5-10 hours long nowadays so to have one that's $100+ hours is awesome. I wish more game companies were like this.

i adore persona. my favourite game is Persona 4. my favourite Persona character is Yu Narukami, Tohru Adachi is a very close second. i love Adachis dynamic and friendship(?) with Narukami. i also adore their interactions in any of the Persona 4 arena games.

my obsession with Persona 4 aside, i also love Persona 3, albeit not as much. i enjoy Persona 5 the least out of the modern Persona trilogy, but i still think it is an amazing game.

Last edited:
Back