Buying Original JRPG game art (chibi-style sprites, anime-style portraits, tilesets)

cosmopath

CEO of Gaming
Bells
Small Mailbox
Astral Inner Planet Floating Gold #10
Feedback
100% (42) +
Hey Bell Tree community!

I'm working on a JRPG project with a decent amount of other people with diversified talents (programmers, designers, artists, writers, composers). The artists that we have right now are quite busy with irl stuff right now though, and as such progress is moving along slowly since the rest of the development process relies heavily on the art being made. Since I've been in this community for years and I know you guys are cool people, I will attempt scouting people here!

Here's some of the art that's been made before so you have a general idea for our targeted artstyle:

AdrianneAdult2.0.png

image.jpg

unknown.png

BaseLayoutKid2.png

unknown.png

What art do you exactly need? We need sprites for in-game characters in the style shown above (similar to Fire Emblem chibis), portraits for dialogue in a more traditional anime artstyle, and tilesets for stuff like grass, water, trees, roads, houses, etc. The entire game will be made with 2D art in a pseudo-3D perspective, as with most non-3D JRPGs. We can go into significantly more detail of what art needs to be done once you join the project.

How will I be compensated? Despite this purely being a side project we do have some revenue coming in, so if you'd like we can pay a bit of RLC per each piece of art you do. Once the game is completed, you'll be rewarded with a percentage of the game's revenue (to be determined). I can also reward you in TBT if you want those!

How do I know this project isn't just some gibberish that won't actually happen? The amount of work we've already done gives us a big advantage - we already have a fairly functional prototype game with many of the core RPG features such as combat, inventory and random encounters working great, we have a 10-page game design document detailing the game and its proposed content, and we have a considerable amount of team members with solid background in the field they're in. The game will also be getting some monetary funding as development progresses unlike many other projects.

Okay, I'm interested. How do I start? Message me or make a post on this thread if you're interested. If you have further questions feel free to ask and I'll answer them, if you'd like to review our game design document first I can provide access to that, and if you've decided you'd like to join us I'll give you an invite link to the Discord server we work in.

One last question: what role do you play in this project? I'm the Lead Developer, the person who's been programming the majority of the game thus far. My experience in the programming field goes all the way back to 2009 when I first learned Java. Now I've learned a wide variety of different programming languages that allow me to make a multitude of different programs. This time I'm trying my hand at a game! I also have professional experience in public relations and marketing, which will be applied as the game gets closer to release.

Thanks for reading, everyone!

Last edited:
Removed the part about RLC compensation not matching commission price because I'm personally not knowledgeable enough on average prices to comment on that, and it really depends on the art. We're still looking.

Just to clarify: we do have artists, so it's not like one person would be doing all the work. We just need some extra help :)

Still looking.

Back