Opinions on fish as pets?

I think fish can make excellent pets so long as you're willing and able to put in the time and effort required to care for them appropriately - just like with any pet. They're great for people renting places that can't have cats, dogs, and the like.

I can't stand background noises that the pumps make so there's no way I could have fish in my house. Perhaps in a pond in the backyard, but it would have to be very well planned in order to provide a suitable habitat. I've always been sad to see fish kept in such tiny glass bowls and aquariums, just not enough space. Goldfish grow to a massive size if allowed the space to grow freely.

Last edited:
I think fish can make excellent pets so long as you're willing and able to put in the time and effort required to care for them appropriately - just like with any pet. They're great for people renting places that can't have cats, dogs, and the like.

I can't stand background noises that the pumps make so there's no way I could have fish in my house. Perhaps in a pond in the backyard, but it would have to be very well planned in order to provide a suitable habitat. I've always been sad to see fish kept in such tiny glass bowls and aquariums, just not enough space. Goldfish grow to a massive size if allowed the space to grow freely.

It's my dream to have a koi pond and maybe a few turtles in my backyard someday. It's so serene and beautiful. Growing up my friend had a beautiful "secret garden" with a huge pond with koi in it and it was just one of those places I could stay forever.

I don't think they're great "pets" in a sense that you can't cuddle them like you would dog or a cat, but I think it's a really interesting hobby to get into. There's a ton of care that goes into a tank other than just throwing a fish into any random bowl of water. You can also get creative with decorations, plant life landscaping and care, etc. I've only had freshwater fish in the past and more recently water snails in a tank with some marimo moss balls. It's really relaxing to look at and I find the noise of the filter to be quite calming lol.

Back