Nintendo Japan confirms an amiibo card shortage

I think Nintendo's problem with stock management is a company management issue. This company is so damn afraid it will end up with leftover stocks that it will always have minimum projections turned into real production. Same thing with plastic figurines amiibo. Reggie, whom I regard as the main excuse maker at Nintendo these days, say that there are issues with production of figurines. No there are no issue. Your projections were wrong from day one. That's the reason. There is NO reason you guys can forecast a huge amount of figurines for Peach, Mario, Zelda, Pikachu and Luigi, so much so that they are always in stock BUT you cannot do the same with the Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk and Lucina !

ya, bc they are a super small company. its not an excuse but i don't think they can afford to over produce lol. its to be expected with nintendo stuff, especially with novelty items like this with a huge fan base.

ya, bc they are a super small company. its not an excuse but i don't think they can afford to over produce lol. its to be expected with nintendo stuff, especially with novelty items like this with a huge fan base.

Um, Nintendo is not small at all. They have a market cap of $22 billion USD and are even on Forbes' top 2000 list. The problem is that they are run like a very traditional Japanese company: very, very VERY risk-averse. They'd rather under stock and apologize for it later than break even or have left over stock.

Cards should be much easier to produce and restock than figures so hopefully this won't be a problem for too long. I suppose it could be a better business decision to have a smaller first shipment sell out quickly followed by another shipment soon after instead of having a really large first shipment that doesn't sell out as quickly.

Back