• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

New Switch - Help!

Fallington

Bells
Hi everyone, hoping you guys can help me.

Here's the scenario. We bought the kids a Switch OLED for Christmas with Animal Crossing and my daughter is obsessed. So much so that's she's constantly on it, stopping her younger brother (and me) from playing Mario Kart. So we got her a Switch Lite for her birthday this week.

I originally setup the OLED with a single Nintendo user account, tied to my email address so I can manage everything for them (they're 7 and 4!). Now we have two devices though, it seems we need more than one account, or perhaps kids accounts under the main account? I've used the Island Migration Tool and moved her whole Animal Crossing island to her new Switch Lite which has worked fine, but it's still under the same Nintendo account that's logged into the OLED and therefore the kids can't both play games at the same time.

I can't work out what I need to do from here :oops: I've created a new kids account under my main account and that's showing on her Switch Lite, but her save game and island etc. is still tied to the main user account. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't really care which account is which, we'd just like her to be able to play her island on her Lite while the boy plays Mario Kart/whatever on the OLED at the same time.

It seems like the only options are to either restart the animal crossing island and start a new one under her own account OR have the boys and you make a new account to play mario kart on. If you have the game card it shouldn’t be that huge of a deal unless you have something digital tied to the original account.

Im not completely sure but if you do have smtg digitally downloaded I think you can still use it on other accounts as long as the account that purchased the digital game is on the switch and is set as the “primary” switch (not sure if it’s called primary or something else.)

Also make sure you have passwords preventing the kids from buying anything accidentally or whenever they want! My little brother decided it’d be cool to spend 100 dollars last year on a game.
Post automatically merged:

Once you start an island, the first player to join that island is set as the resident representative and the island is tied to their account and can’t be transferred without deleting the island.

I'm a bit confused by the last part. It sounds like you're using the same account on both switches from your description. You'll need to have separate accounts on each switch. You won't be able to play Animal Crossing on your main account on your OLED switch since you've used the island transfer tool.

Here's the scenario. We bought the kids a Switch OLED for Christmas with Animal Crossing and my daughter is obsessed. So much so that's she's constantly on it, stopping her younger brother (and me) from playing Mario Kart. So we got her a Switch Lite for her birthday this week.

I originally setup the OLED with a single Nintendo user account, tied to my email address so I can manage everything for them (they're 7 and 4!). Now we have two devices though, it seems we need more than one account, or perhaps kids accounts under the main account? I've used the Island Migration Tool and moved her whole Animal Crossing island to her new Switch Lite which has worked fine, but it's still under the same Nintendo account that's logged into the OLED and therefore the kids can't both play games at the same time.

I can't work out what I need to do from here :oops: I've created a new kids account under my main account and that's showing on her Switch Lite, but her save game and island etc. is still tied to the main user account. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't really care which account is which, we'd just like her to be able to play her island on her Lite while the boy plays Mario Kart/whatever on the OLED at the same time.
Hey I just sent you a message. Take a look and see if it helps. Don’t restart an entire new island or make multiple accounts until you‘ve tried a couple of things first. :)

Quick question, are the games downloaded from the store? Or are they physical copies?

Two downloaded copies cant be played at the same time. Two carthridge copies, or a carthridge and a downloaded one can be played at the same time. But if their both downloaded you cant play at the same time, sadly.​

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

A bit more info:

• We have the Animal Crossing game card so have moved that and my daughter's island to the Switch Lite, using the migration tool
  • It all works fine on the Switch Lite and understand she can't then play her island on the OLED again, which is fine
  • I didn't realise we needed multiple Nintendo accounts for additional Switch devices so this was all done on the original account I created when we got the OLED
  • If it's easier to leave my daughter with the original Nintendo account on her Lite and create a new kids account under the main account for the OLED so my son can play games at the same time as my daughter then I'll do this - however does this mean he loses any progress he's made on his games?

I'm a bit confused by the last part. It sounds like you're using the same account on both switches from your description. You'll need to have separate accounts on each switch. You won't be able to play Animal Crossing on your main account on your OLED switch since you've used the island transfer tool.
Yeah I didn't realise I needed an account per device. I've created two kids accounts under my main Nintendo account using the Family thing, but I guess her AC island is tied to the main account? If she launches AC using the new kids account I created it just starts a new island.

Quick question, are the games downloaded from the store? Or are they physical copies?

Two downloaded copies cant be played at the same time. Two carthridge copies, or a carthridge and a downloaded one can be played at the same time. But if their both downloaded you cant play at the same time, sadly.​
We have a physical copy of Animal Crossing and Mario Kart, download of Yoshi's Crafted World and Lego 2K Drive. My daughter only plays AC and my son only MK, Yoshi & Lego on their respective devices.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

A bit more info:

• We have the Animal Crossing game card so have moved that and my daughter's island to the Switch Lite, using the migration tool
  • It all works fine on the Switch Lite and understand she can't then play her island on the OLED again, which is fine
  • I didn't realise we needed multiple Nintendo accounts for additional Switch devices so this was all done on the original account I created when we got the OLED
  • If it's easier to leave my daughter with the original Nintendo account on her Lite and create a new kids account under the main account for the OLED so my son can play games at the same time as my daughter then I'll do this - however does this mean he loses any progress he's made on his games?

Yeah I didn't realise I needed an account per device. I've created two kids accounts under my main Nintendo account using the Family thing, but I guess her AC island is tied to the main account? If she launches AC using the new kids account I created it just starts a new island.
Yes, your son would lose all his progress. However, I found a solution that might help!

Instead of creating a new account on the OLED, create a new account for your daughter on her Switch Lite. You'd then transfer the data from your original account to the new account you just created for your daughter. The steps for doing so are here. Felt like this Reddit post covered the issue you're having.

I hope this helps you!

Thanks Kristen that's great, I'll have a look.

Just to clarify, do I need a whole new Nintendo account for the Lite, or can I use the kids account I created under my main account?

Thanks Kristen that's great, I'll have a look.

Just to clarify, do I need a whole new Nintendo account for the Lite, or can I use the kids account I created under my main account?
No problem! You should be able to use the kids account you created I'm pretty sure. From my understanding, it's just an account managed by your main one, so it should just work the same.

Ok change of plan! My daughter has now decided that she'd like to start an entirely new island and have her brother play with her too! :LOL:

So, what's the best way to go about this?

• We have the main Nintendo account and now a kids account each under the main account
  • We have one physical copy of Animal Crossing - so they won't be able to play at the same time
  • They'd like one island which they can both play on (not at the same time)

Actually I think if you make two reps on one island, you can play with two people! But I dont know what your able to do when your in that mode.

Ive just seen people play at the same time that way!
--

Actually I think if you make two reps on one island, you can play with two people! But I dont know what your able to do when your in that mode.

Ive just seen people play at the same time that way!
--
Do we need two copies of the game, or can they play at different times on the same island?

You dont need two copies as far as I know. I had the option to go side by side when I had two reps,

I think all you need is two sets of controllers I imagine? Im not sure how the screen part works, i believe its a shared screen. Its basically like playing a multiplayer game set up

I think it should be fine, I believe its an app nook gives you. But I imagien the lite would be the same screen as well, but not 100%. I have a lite myself, so since the option came up on a lite, it would probably be the same? Just her lite and the other controllers should work

Id see for myself but I only have one rep now, sorry.

In terms of the accounts though, I guess I'm deleting her existing island and save data etc. but what do I do with their kids accounts?

I think how it works is that you have one island on one ststem, and on that system you have two reps and then eventully nook will give you an app.

So I dont think it would matter account wise? Im not 100% sure.

If he wants his own island he could make one on the other switch. I have two different islands under the same account myself.

Could we have one island they both have a character on, which they can access from their respective consoles?

Could we have one island they both have a character on, which they can access from their respective consoles?
i believe that you have to have only one console per island. however, you can use joy-cons from your switch oled to add a character to the island on the switch lite and play like that

I suggest giving her the account and then you can have a new account for yourself. If that works for you anyway. And if all else fails, surly it wouldn't be bad to just start over and attach it to a different account.

Back