• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

New Leaf vs other games character sizes! Which one you like best?

New Leaf vs other games character sizes! Which one you like best?

• Total voters
New Leaf! At first I didn't like how taller they were but now going back, the other characters look so squashed. XP Plus you get to customize their bottom halves!

Definitely the New Leaf mcs. They're so much more customizable, cuter, easier to see, so on, so forth. The old ones were cute, but I definitely love these ones way more.

New characters. I was so excited when I watched the trailer for the first time and the character changed pants

never played the other previous games, nor I am interested in them, so I definitely choose new leaf! + it's better in my opinion, everything looks so clean
& this comparison reminds me of that meme comparing tomb raider old graphics to the new one LOL ( the one with triangle sharp chest vs the new one haha )

Last edited:
Definitely New Leaf. The Villager's inclusion in Smash Bros. using the older stumpy design just drove home how much better the revision in New Leaf was.

That said, if Animal Crossing Switch includes the character creator from the Happy Home game, they should expand upon it a bit by giving the player the option to use the original body type as an option.

Last edited:
I can't stand the old short, stubby designs. They just look so bad. lol

I can't stand the old short, stubby designs. They just look so bad. lol

I still play the other games, but I usually can?t bear to like ok at the player.

The animals look fine, but the humans have been squished!

I ADORE the human proportions in New Leaf!

im in the minority with the older design lol! i think that having everybody be short and stubby makes the game a lot cuter and more charming lol... it just gives everything such a cartoonish and childish feel i like it

I am 100% a fan of the older design. The character and all of the villagers looked very cute when they were short - especially in City Folk. I love it.

I started up a new City Folk town last week and it is hard to get used to the short, stubby characters. I much, much prefer the taller characters in New Leaf and Pocket Camp.

Now if only they would deviate from the red, triangular noses...

I really love the New Leaf character design but that is once again probably because its my favorite and first game. The old designs used to scare me lol but they are super cute! I liked the small design because it was more unique but the newer ones allow for more expression both in the face as well as design / clothes. Now we have so many more options that weren’t available before!

The newer style.
I played so much WW on my ds lite, so I cannot say I didn’t enjoy it. But the characters used to look a bit..squished?

Plus all the new clothing types and such are a positive.

I really don’t mind the size of the human character as long as they don’t get the permanent horns that they used to have and we can customize them freely and even change their genders like we can now. Maybe add an option to freely change the height in the next game.

I don't really mind which styles. I like them both for different reasons. But newer models (NL and NH) do have more options for the player to choose. Also details on items and clothing are more visible. In NH's case, the style is alot more clear and easier to read.
Older styles are more compact and cute, certain features are more exaggerated.
If I had to choose, I would say the most recent models. How nice the models are in NH makes it difficult to go back and play older games daily for a long period of time because there are more options, and more immersion. I probably could do it with NL, but WW, not so much even though I really enjoy the dialog in WW.

I definitely prefer the older sizes lol, I miss how tiny everybody looked.

Most villagers and players looked cuter before but I don’t hate the modern version. There are some animal species I think are better now

i prefer the way our characters look now. the shorter characters in animal crossing gamecube - wild world were so cute, but i don’t think i could go back to that style now that i’m so used to the new one. characters being taller and the addition of pants, skirts, dresses etc is actually one of the things that made me get new leaf the most, and i like that my characters have legs long enough that i can see now LOL

Back