• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

New album concept

Bulerias

Co-Founder of TBT
Retired Staff
Bells
Arcade Tokens
As I was editing my repertoire list earlier today, I got an idea for the "concept" for my upcoming album. My previous one, "Watercolors of the World", was unified only by the diversity of the tunes. This one will have a much stronger theme -- "dedication".

Basically, I would pay homage to those who have influenced me musically in a major way. My teachers, parents, Paco de Lucia, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Bill Evans, etc... each tune would be dedicated to someone. Here's a tentative list of pieces; the final track list will probably be this + a couple more tunes. In no particular order:

Para Estrella - Original
Waltz for Debby - Bill Evans
Desafinado - A.C. Jobim
The Shadow of Your Smile - Johnny Mandel
Besame Mucho - Consuelo Velazquez
A Felicidade - A.C. Jobim
Aire de Tango - Tomatito
Cavatina - Stanley Myers
Delicado - Waldir Azevedo
Soiree - Earl Zindars
Sabia - A.C. Jobim
Rumba de Janeiro - Original
Manha de Carnaval - Luiz Bonfa
Tarantas - Original
Punta y Tacon - Sabicas
Inutil Paisagem - A.C. Jobim
O Grande Amor - A.C. Jobim
Rondena - Original

Instead of releasing two albums as I considering doing a few months ago (one being a hodgepodge album like Watercolors of the World, and another featuring just Jobim tunes), I'll take the best Jobim arrangements and combine them with the rest of the tunes.

Edit - The first tune isn't on my YouTube channel yet; it's basically an homage to Estrella Morente, a flamenco singer I posted about a week or so ago.

I hope to start recording sometime over the summer and release the album by year's end.

Oh, and I should hopefully have "Para Estrella" up on YouTube tomorrow... the name means "For Estrella" in Spanish, but that's pretty obvious. :p

Whoa, that sounds absolutely amazing. I'm loving the whole idea.

Quite a few of these are familiar to me, specifically "O Grande Amor". You've posted a video or audio clip of yourself playing that song on YouTube (or Putfile?) before, right? I remember being particularly fond of that one.

Hey, keep us (or me, anyway) updated. I've got Watercolors of the World, and I'll be sure to add this new album to my collection when the time comes 'round.

Grawr said:

Quite a few of these are familiar to me, specifically "O Grande Amor". You've posted a video or audio clip of yourself playing that song on YouTube (or Putfile?) before, right? I remember being particularly fond of that one.

Hey, keep us (or me, anyway) updated. I've got Watercolors of the World, and I'll be sure to add this new album to my collection when the time comes 'round.
Thanks! Yep, all of the tunes are on YouTube except Para Estrella and Punta y Tacon (used to be on my channel, but I made the video private after I realized how bad it was :p)

Here's O Grande Amor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djNiy7mUz-c

The main difference between this new CD and Watercolors, aside from the theme and track listing, will be expressiveness... with the tunes on Watercolors, some of them were arranged just weeks before I started recording. In the case of Aquarela do Brasil, I arranged it one day before heading out to the studio, and the first take ended up being the final version.

With these pieces on the new album, I've been playing them for a long time... so I've had a chance to fine tune them, expressively. And they mean a lot more to me than those on Watercolors because I arranged them (and even composed four of them) myself.

So yeah, should be good hopefully. :p I can't wait to get started. Sadly, I need to get through all this high school homework before I can begin...

Bulerias said:
Grawr said:

Thanks! Yep, all of the tunes are on YouTube except Para Estrella and Punta y Tacon (used to be on my channel, but I made the video private after I realized how bad it was :p)

Here's O Grande Amor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djNiy7mUz-c

The main difference between this new CD and Watercolors, aside from the theme and track listing, will be expressiveness... with the tunes on Watercolors, some of them were arranged just weeks before I started recording. In the case of Aquarela do Brasil, I arranged it one day before heading out to the studio, and the first take ended up being the final version.

With these pieces on the new album, I've been playing them for a long time... so I've had a chance to fine tune them, expressively. And they mean a lot more to me than those on Watercolors because I arranged them (and even composed four of them) myself.

So yeah, should be good hopefully. :p I can't wait to get started. Sadly, I need to get through all this high school homework before I can begin...
Sounds fantastic!
I'm very much looking forward to it.

And I hear ya' on that one...school's nearly finished for the year, yet with all this work, it's hard to picture it ever coming to an end. >. <

OK, just finished recording Para Estrella, should be on YouTube in a few hours. :D

Punt y a taco!

I've heard some of these songs before, and I'm excited to hear you play them again. :D

Back