• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Never played new leaf but...

edenoakk

Bells
Camp Bell Tree 2023 Patch
Is it worth getting to play now? I am late comer to the animal crossing franchise my first game was new horizons but I am now more independent and financially stable to be able to afford my long time dream of owning older Nintendo consoles!! As my collecting is new, I'm wondering if new leaf should be the first one I get?

Any opinions shared is amazing 💫

oh my goodness yes, yes and yes! after city folk; NL is my favorite animal crossing game ever, i think you'll find it very simple and relaxing since NH is yer first! it mixes the old animal crossing formula with NH's decoration options in a way more simpler "beta/testing" state!!

As long as you are content to either play single player, with people you know locally or online, or people here on the forums, I'd also give a definite yes. The reason I specify these parameters is because, as mentioned in this thread, New Leaf, as well as some other 3DS games, have fallen prey to hackers. If you stick to yourself or people you know personally you won't have to worry about such things. These people are found on the worldwide version of Club Tortimer. There's an option to go to Tortimer Island on your own or with a friend, that's what you'd want to stick to using.

There are some things that New Horizons does better, such as: allowing you to choose different skin colors for your player characters, terraforming, allowing you to destroy any rock on your island if you don't like the placement of it, and letting you edit the homes of your animal residents if you so choose.

In every other way, however, I prefer New Leaf over New Horizons.

- As someone who primarily plays Animal Crossing games for the interior design aspect, New Leaf is way better when it comes to player homes. The rooms of player character homes, when fully expanded, are way more spacious and allow for more creativity. The awkward layouts of the rooms in New Horizons has, on more than one occasion, sabotaged design ideas I had because I just couldn't fit it all. Not a problem I ever encountered in New Leaf. I'm frankly jealous that the animals can have 10x10 rooms in the Happy Home Paradise DLC of New Horizons since the player home rooms are too cramped.

- Speaking of player character homes, there are way more options to customize the exterior of your house in New Leaf.

- There are a bunch of special NPC characters who, up until New Horizons, were either mainstays of the series or introduced in New Leaf but who weren't included in New Horizons.

- As opposed to the deserted island that you build up in New Horizons, New Leaf is a bustling town where, over time, you unlock numerous shops and it makes the place feel more lived in.

- While Nook's Cranny just stops growing after one expansion in New Horizons, the Nook shop expands multiple times in New Leaf (and the previous games) as you buy and sell things.

- Related to the above point, Gracie and her furniture sets and clothing are great!

- There are a bunch of other furniture sets that were mainstays of the series as well that were cut from New Horizons. New Horizons went for a pretty big overhaul and there are mixed opinions about that in the community, or at least there were in the past.

- You can have Cyrus customize some of the furniture with ores you harvest from rocks. He can also take complete sets of fossils and make miniatures of them.

- Perfect Fruit looks neat. Don't sell the first one (it looks different from the others, you'll be able to tell visually if you pay attention), plant it and grow another perfect fruit tree, and then more if you want. They sell for more bells.

- There are more varieties of fruit that you can grow that weren't included in New Horizons.

- There's a tree that grows as you spend more time playing the game. It grows alongside your town. Very satisfying!

- The Bug-Off and Fishing Tourney are actual competitions instead of just catching however many you can in a few minutes.

- Golden Tools don't break like they do in New Horizons. Silver and Gold tools in these older games are meant as rewards for your efforts from earning them. The Gold Fishing Rod and Gold Net make fishing and bug catching easier. The Silver Axe does break but it has an increased chance to leave special marks on some of the stumps when you cut down trees. The Silver and Gold Slingshots shoot 2 or 3 pellets respectively instead of the standard 1. The Silver Watering Can lets you water more flowers than a normal Watering Can, and a Golden Watering Can allows you to water even more flowers than that as well as to turn wilted roses into gold roses. The Silver Shovel increases the ores you can get from smacking rocks and the Gold Shovel allows you to grow money trees.

- Tortimer Island actually gives you things to do with friends. You can go catch beetles and sharks, regardless of the time of year in your town, that are worth a lot of bells. There are also actually minigames, called tours, that you can play either on your own or with a friend. I don't know why they decided not to include those tours, or anything similar, in New Horizons when they were using New Horizons to push online features and encourage people to pay for Nintendo Switch Online.

There's more I can say, but I think that list should suffice as it's pretty long and substantial already. I hope you enjoy the game if you do pick it up!

Last edited:
if the first two replies werent enough, absolutely yes.

although New Leaf was released way before New Horizons, its not a downgrade by any means, and is widely considered the best game by older players.

the only really notable things you dont have in New Leaf is terraforming, and placing furniture outside. the amount of Public Work Projects definitely make up for it.

You also cant really choose where the villagers live, but there are ways (ex: if you have the welcome amiibo update, which you almost 100% will, you can place custom designs on the floor and villagers wont place their houses on top of the design)

another thing is the whole villager moving out situation. you can prevent them from leaving, but sometimes if you encourage them to leave they will say something along the lines of "your really going to let me go that easy? im staying so we can become closer" or sonething similar. also, if you time travel more than 3/4 days at a time, a villager might just be gone. they do tell you 7 days before they plan to move, but if you dont see them for those 7 days, they will just go regardless.

also, be careful when playing online. its pretty rare to come across a hacker, especially one with the intent or resources to harm, but you should be wary because its definitely becoming more common. im not saying to avoid the online island entirely, because it really is fun, but just be careful.

however you dont face any risks while using the online dream suite.

New Leaf is really a great game, and if you decide to get it, i hope you enjoy it!

Each Animal Crossing game is a unique experience, i recommend playing all of them even if you played the most recent one. Honestly, New Leaf got more content than New Horizons in a certain way. New Leaf is the best game of the franchise to me.

Back