• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Nervous!

Kess

Hello? Yes, this is Kess;
Bells
Guys I've been so excited for the new game but then I had a thought... what if I don't like it!? I've been trying to hide it from myself because I feel like I played NL too fast and knew too much too soon, but from I've seen.... what if it's too repetitive? Now I know NL can get like that, its usually what causes me to stop playing for a while, but I can change everything in in a day. I can decide I want a whole new theme and begin working and that can span months of game play... but I don't know about HHD...

What do you guys think? How do you feel about it? Is this a concern or no? I've been really wanting a second copy of NL... and instead of buying HHD I may get the second copy instead...

To be honest, I would pick new cartridge over HHD. Once my dad gets back I'm probably gonna ask if I can get another NL cartridge with my money, and if not probably HHD.

edit: Or Yoshi Wooly World or something. Yoshi is my life. Or Super Mario Maker if its out lol

Last edited:
This kind of decision is pretty personal. I could say, "Definitely get HHD! It looks awesome and seems to have a lot of variety!" but that's my own enthusiasm talking. Why don't you try watching some playthroughs and see what you think? It might be easier to make the best decision for yourself that way.

Maybe just wait and then watch some playthroughs first? Watch some videos online. That's how I decide on which games to get.

It's hard to know what you should do. I have to admit, it's a lot of fun to have more than one NL cartridge. On the other hand, you might feel sad if you couldn't play HHD at all and find out what you think of it.

Definitely, watch some Let's Play videos on youtube while you are deciding, like Shimmer said in the post above. And don't forget that you can always save up and buy the one you didn't choose (either HHD or the NL cartridge), later on.

Last edited:
If you're worried about it then buy a physical copy. That way if you dislike it then you can always sell it after.

If you do that though just prepared to that it might be at a small loss. I've personally managed to sell pre-owned copies of ACNL and Smash at just ?5 below what I paid within four months of their respective release dates. Both times I listed them on eBay and both times the games sold in under an hour.

Last edited:
I am honestly getting HHD so I can get more inspiration for my own ACNL towns. I have two copies of it and am almost done with one of the towns but have a long way to go on the second, especially since I want to do all four houses... So for me they're going to go hand in hand! I already pre-ordered my copy and am excited to get it!

I won't be getting HHD because I'm not very "good" at the decoration aspect of the AC games. And don't give me reign of decorating a whole town. Like it doesn't have much draw for me (aside from the whole reg new 3DS being bundled with it)- if there's no villager interaction I don't think I'll be much into it so right now, I'm not taking the gamble.

I like the idea of HHD, but I'm going to wait until it comes out and people make playthroughs for it. Thats how I decided

A number of playthroughs are available for you to watch right now, if you'd like to do some research.

For example:

Jennifer Christensen has been playing the Japanese version since it came out at the end of July. She livestreams twice a day on twitch except Saturdays and has over 60 HHD vids on youtube. I recommend picking a random video to watch, as she went into the game completely blind. If you want to see her figuring it out, start from the beginning, but otherwise, she's designed homes for over 100 villagers at this point and has built all of the public buildings in her main street.

LinandKo have done a couple of playthroughs, though these are limited.

TheBitBlock has done about 13 videos.

Chyadosensei on YouTube has a few vids as well.

If you'd rather check out screenshots, check out TBT member Jinglefruit's tumblr. Jinglefruit plays with themes, creates backstories for houses and generally mucks around. It provides great examples of how you can either stick with a theme the villager gives you or bust right out of it and do all kinds of silly, hilarious, wonderful things.

Last edited:
To be honest, I would pick new cartridge over HHD. Once my dad gets back I'm probably gonna ask if I can get another NL cartridge with my money, and if not probably HHD.

edit: Or Yoshi Wooly World or something. Yoshi is my life. Or Super Mario Maker if its out lol

omg I've forgotten about Wooly World!! I need to get that! But I'll prob deff get a second copy!

- - - Post Merge - - -

This kind of decision is pretty personal. I could say, "Definitely get HHD! It looks awesome and seems to have a lot of variety!" but that's my own enthusiasm talking. Why don't you try watching some playthroughs and see what you think? It might be easier to make the best decision for yourself that way.

yeah I think I'm going to do that.. I've been avoiding it bc I didn't want to ruin it for myself.. but now that we're talking about something that's going to be 40 bucks and may be the same thing over and over... I'mma have to look into it more!

- - - Post Merge - - -

If you're worried about it then buy a physical copy. That way if you dislike it then you can always sell it after.

If you do that though just prepared to that it might be at a small loss. I've personally managed to sell pre-owned copies of ACNL and Smash at just ?5 below what I paid within four months of their respective release dates. Both times I listed them on eBay and both times the games sold in under an hour.

ohhh this is very true and I didn't even think about that! This is a very good idea! I think I'm combine this with the other inputs... I'm going to watch play throughs and IF I think I'll like it, I'll get it. Once I get it, if I like it I'll keep it (duh lol) and if I don't I'll sell it! I was going to get the digital copy since the only 3DS cartridge I have is NL (and I've never taken it out), so I'm happy you said something :D

- - - Post Merge - - -

Thank you everyone for your input! I really appreciate all of them and it's interesting to see what you've all decided to do!

the only 3DS cartridge I have is NL (and I've never taken it out)

Haha! I sorta know this feeling. I have a bunch of cartridges, but the one I play most is my main copy of AC:NL and one day, after playing a digital game, I panicked for a few hours, thinking my cartridge was lost (and it was actually in my 3DS). D'oh!!

You can probably get away with watching one episode of a playthrough without spoiling too much for yourself. It'll give you a sense of what it's like without revealing all the new stuff. Even after watching hours and hours of playthroughs, I'm still really excited for HHD. I actually think it's made me even more excited, if that's possible. While the mechanics of what you're doing are the same each time, the variety in what you can create is pretty much infinite, and it's a cool way to encounter villagers and play with furniture that you might not otherwise want in your town in a regular AC game.

I am honestly getting HHD so I can get more inspiration for my own ACNL towns.

One of the reasons why I want to get it. I've been watching some let's plays and it honestly does seem a bit repetitive...But I feel like I'm too into AC at this point to pass it up. I have 2 side characters homes that are completely empty, so I think HHD will be pretty helpful in that respect.

Well I can only give you my opinion, and my opinion is that the main series Animal Crossing games can get pretty boring pretty quickly, at least for me. I don't want to feel obligated to play every day so a villager doesn't move away, or have to remember to time skip backwards in order to keep them. Or have to exit the game and time skip forward to keep the game interesting enough to play for an extended period of time.

Personally, I would rather buy a new game with different features than buy a copy of a game I already have. But that being said I don't own a second 3DS, so having two copies of the same game would give me no additional benefit other than a second town.

You should definitely choose whichever you think is your preference. I really like the person earlier in the thread who gave suggestions of other games you could buy, too.

I'm not concerned :) I can't wait to get it, especially since I'm getting the faceplate animal crossing NN3ds with it. If I get bored I have a ton of other games ranging from the N64 to the Wii U so it'll be hard for me to get bored ;D I love designing homes too so this should be fun for me for awhile.

I'm very excited for HHD because I put a lot of effort on designing my homes on NL, but I know A LOT of people who doesn't care about the decoration on NL at all.

It really depends on how much time you put on the game... if you play it nonstop and decorate over and over again, you will get bored very soon.

I think it's a game for you to play slowly, putting effort on the decoration, making the houses the best you can and sharing with others - and visit their houses to get inspiration. That's Nintendo's intention: for you to be creative and share with others.

I wasn't sure if I wanted the game because I played all the AC games and rate my favorite thing to do around town as:

1. Fish
2. Villager stuff (like talking to 'em, doing things for 'em, getting pics and saying adios to them)
3. Catching bugs
4. Planting trees and flowers
5. Design what's in my house and to a much more limited aspect the villagers' houses.

So I thought the main focus of the game was pretty low down my list of fun things in Animal Crossing. But someone gave me 40 bucks in nintendo eshop gift cards and said I should use it on that game. They just couldn't give me the game because it was after my birthday and I gotta do what I gotta do. Hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised with it, and sure can't complain about a free game or spend the money on something else cause I'll be seeing them at thanksgiving.

Back