• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Missing Basic Switch Features

Marc Franks

Animal crosser
Bells
Though i dont mind and i love the switch games, i kinda wish the switch had some simple features like friend messaging( having online friends is kinda cool ), having cool themes, ect, does anyone else feel like Nintendo likes being to cheap sometimes? what market are they actually trying to appeal to by holding out on basic simple features that other consoles have with no issues whatsoever? even the 3DS has themes.

is there something more to look forward to in regards to switch features?

opinions and thoughts are welcome.

Edit: I think i mightve accidentally posted this in the incorrect forum, my bad. if it is moved to the correct forum that would be cool thanks.

I agree that it is missing basic features, especially themes. I would really love to have a background theme for my system. I don’t customize the outside of it at all, so I should at least be able to customize the inside/what’s on screen. Friend messaging is another feature that could be good to have (though admittedly I hadn’t thought about that one until now).

Nintendo can get away with the bare minimum because their fans brazenly worship them and have insane brand loyalty

even if sony/xbox/steam technically competes with them nintendo has the edge of their very exclusive ips which have a unique market of their own

When I bought Switch, I was like "Oh...the main menu is stark black/grey. I guess they'll fix that with an update soon."

Little did I know. Lol

Wish it had Spotify app like my PS4 for some background music listening for some games

I really wish the Switch had themes! I don’t play my 3DS quite as much anymore but every time I do I’m always pleasantly surprised by the themes. I think they add so much character to the device. It’s so much fun having the little pikachu theme to match my pikachu 3DS, or have holiday ones for Christmas & Halloween, and all the animal crossing ones are adorable!

Even if the switch just had basic colours (I’d love to make mine pink!) it would be a step up. I’d love to see themes like the 3DS has, though.

Along the same line I miss customizing the home screen with folders & getting to choose how to display the games! On my 3DS I have a folder with my games, a spot for whatever cartridge game I’m playing, and then another folder with the miscellaneous apps. It’s all really easily accessible and in the folders I have the icons fairly small so I can see a lot of them easily.

Even the psp had better customization, and it came out like a decade ago. I recall it having way more colors, and you could even use any pic you have as a background, like mobile phones. I dont think the switch is going to get any updates like that at this point. Maybe the next version or next console will have those things, or maybe the wish to keep it minimal.

I would love to see more customisation as well. I had thought it was something that they would introduce later on but it has been years since the release of the switch and it still hasn’t happened- probably won’t. More limited edition switches would be great as well but again I don’t think we are going to see more than we are getting now. I’ll be very interested to see what comes of a switch pro.

Back