• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Midnight Release Party!

Aww, y'all are making me worried that Gamestop won't have my pre-order available on Sunday. I was thinking about going digital, but then my husband suprised me by pre-buying the game for me since he has a membership there. Since it's already paid for, I would feel bad about downloading it or picking it up elsewhere if it's not available on release day.

I guess I'll wait and see what happens. If I can't get it, I may see if I can find it somewhere else, (Walmart?), and then ask for a refund.

Either way, I'll still hang around for the midnight party, just to see pics, town names and villagers, whatever people feel like sharing!

I think I need to clear this up. The game comes out Sunday in NA, so that means Sunday MORNING midnight, the very beginning of Sunday you can download. Villagers will be asleep after the initial ceremony I think, right?

Also, Gamestop has never not had enough copies to satisfy pre-orders. The one in my town usually orders at least the number to satisfy, plus X, where X is how the pre-order trend has been going (Say, 100 people have preordered in 10 months, they'll get 100 and 20. For 200 they'd get 240. Something like that).

Japan did sell out, but mobile gaming is WAY bigger there than it is here.

I think I need to clear this up. The game comes out Sunday in NA, so that means Sunday MORNING midnight, the very beginning of Sunday you can download. Villagers will be asleep after the initial ceremony I think, right?

Also, Gamestop has never not had enough copies to satisfy pre-orders. The one in my town usually orders at least the number to satisfy, plus X, where X is how the pre-order trend has been going (Say, 100 people have preordered in 10 months, they'll get 100 and 20. For 200 they'd get 240. Something like that).

Japan did sell out, but mobile gaming is WAY bigger there than it is here.

The three GameStop stores that are near me all told me that they will ONLY get enough copies to fill pre-orders, no extras at all. At the first store I thought the guy was just saying that to get me to pre-order, but when I did finally pre-order it at the store that's closest to my house, the manager there said that it was up to Nintendo, and they are only allowing them to order enough to fill their pre-orders. Perhaps Nintendo is doing that to get us to switch to digital versions?

The three GameStop stores that are near me all told me that they will ONLY get enough copies to fill pre-orders, no extras at all. At the first store I thought the guy was just saying that to get me to pre-order, but when I did finally pre-order it at the store that's closest to my house, the manager there said that it was up to Nintendo, and they are only allowing them to order enough to fill their pre-orders. Perhaps Nintendo is doing that to get us to switch to digital versions?

Actually that makes sense now. ACNL does have a modified game cart for extra space for all that needs to be on there, so perhaps Nintendo is going mostly with custom orders.

Thanks for bringing that up. I now think you should DEF PREORDER. I'm gonna talk to the guys at my GameStop when I go up there tonight and I'll post if I find something out.

Actually that makes sense now. ACNL does have a modified game cart for extra space for all that needs to be on there, so perhaps Nintendo is going mostly with custom orders.

Thanks for bringing that up. I now think you should DEF PREORDER. I'm gonna talk to the guys at my GameStop when I go up there tonight and I'll post if I find something out.

I am curious to hear what GameStop stores in other states are saying. Also, I wonder how many pre-orders are needed in order for them to do a midnight release (or is that not based on pre-orders?). I highly doubt my GameStop would do a midnight release for New Leaf. I know a lot of my friends play the game, but somehow I don't see it as a huge seller here. I'd sure love to get my hands on my bundle at midnight though, so I can do my system transfer and then be all ready to play bright and early Sunday morning.

I almost wish I hadn't ordered the bundle so I could just download it at midnight and play right away, but I've waited years for this. A few more hours won't hurt :D

I've always thought I would be buying a physical copy, but it really doesn't matter to me. If I'm near a Gamestop anytime soon I'll probably just preorder it because I do want to pick up the official guide book for the checklists anyway.

I pre-ordered my hardcopy back when it first came available through gamestop. So I will keep my hardcopy.

Besides. i want to conserve space on my SD card for E-shop games and ScreenShots.

And this issue is exactly why I paid off my game in full last month and am bringing my receipt with me, no matter how worn down. My Gamestop usually does amazing with pre-orders, but I prefer to be better safe than sorry.

ugh the mall near my house doesn't open till like 12 (noon). So I'll be getting the game a full 12 hours after some people ;w;

Oh well. If I can wait a few years, I can wait a few hours.

I'll be at a music festival the 14th,... I'll be back home on the 17th, but I've got some exam on the 18th and 19th... summer holidays after that though xD So i'm probably gonna download it the morning of the 19th so that I can play when i'm back home :)

Well, tonight is the night for (some of) you lucky Americans! Are you excited? :)

I'm getting the physical copy for two reasons.

- It's soooo much cheaper.
- A lot more of a chance of getting it early.

I would've got the digital copy if it had of been cheaper, but then again even though I have fast internet. I bet the servers will be getting overloaded and slow, so that also played a part.

Last edited:

I would've got the digital copy if it had of been cheaper, but then again even though I have fast internet. I bet the servers will be getting overloaded and slow, so that also played a part.

How is it cheaper? they both cost the same and not only that how is it a better chance of getting it? it a digital copy there's no chance you wont be able to get it.....

Just over 17 hours to go! Will be downloading as soon as it's available on eShop.

This will be my first eShop midnight buy. Any tips? When should I launch the eShop app? Right at midnight or wait a couple minutes or what?

There are a lot of reasons to get physical over digital but neither of those are good reasons. Most places sell it for the same price as the eShop does- $35 USD. And if you haven't gotten an early physical copy by now it's not going to happen. Ma and Pa stores that broke street date are long since sold out everywhere. At least with digital you can get it in just a matter of hours from now.

How is it cheaper? they both cost the same and not only that how is it a better chance of getting it? it a digital copy there's no chance you wont be able to get it.....

Physical: ?29.99
Digital: ?34.99
This is for the UK.

There are a lot of reasons to get physical over digital but neither of those are good reasons. Most places sell it for the same price as the eShop does- $35 USD. And if you haven't gotten an early physical copy by now it's not going to happen. Ma and Pa stores that broke street date are long since sold out everywhere. At least with digital you can get it in just a matter of hours from now.

Again, it's ?5 cheaper.
Also, since GAME, our main game store, has good service, they can ship out the game 3 days early, so we can receive it one day earlier.

If you read his mini-profile, it clearly states "England", so we aren't getting the game "hours from now".

Last edited:
In Australia at least the physical and digital are pretty much exactly the same. Retail is about $58 at the very cheapest and eshop is $60. I went and bought my 2 x $30 eshop cards and also got $10 off with a voucher so I'll be getting my digital copy for $50 :)

I wouldn't have minded downloading the game if Nintendo had similar account transaction history like Sony, Valve, and Microsoft.
Since it doesn't, I'm sticking with physical, just until Nintendo comes around with the idea. Even though I can't play until noon tomorrow, it'll totally be worth... assuming my BB actually HAS my copy.

Even though I am careful with my belongings, you never know when something is going to happen. Like my DS Lite that has finally gotten the wretched cracked hinge and a broken R-Trigger ('tis my special edition DS Lite too, ;_; )

Glad for anyone who's getting it on midnight, good luck though, I reckon the speeds of the download will be hindered since everyone who is downloading the game has the same idea.

I'm getting the physical copy just because I prefer having a physical copy of it, but I'll definitely stay up till midnight just to celebrate the fact that it's the release day. :D

Back