• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Mario Kart 8 Official General Discussion

MK8 Deluxe not having DLC is just plain disrespectful for those who had it on the Wii and are huge fans of the series.

I think it would be more disrespectful to give a Deluxe edition (inluding all paid DLC) of a game paid DLC but ok.

Last edited:
Don't know what that means but ok.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe contains all the content that was originally DLC in Mario Kart 8. Why would you offer more paid content if this game is supposed to be the definitive version of the game? I think what's more likely is that we are going to get a brand new entry in the series sometime.

I thought about buying MK8 Deluxe, but having a fully upgraded Wii U version I can't justify spending the price of a full game for the amount of new content in your average expansion pack. It's kind of frustrating because I'd love to play the new content but it's so ludicrously expensive. If they released Deluxe's content as DLC for the Wii U version, I would gladly buy it, but for now I'll just wait until the next Mario Kart game.

I thought about buying MK8 Deluxe, but having a fully upgraded Wii U version I can't justify spending the price of a full game for the amount of new content in your average expansion pack. It's kind of frustrating because I'd love to play the new content but it's so ludicrously expensive. If they released Deluxe's content as DLC for the Wii U version, I would gladly buy it, but for now I'll just wait until the next Mario Kart game.

Yeah same here. I already own MK8 and NSMBU on the Wii U, why would I buy them again?

Also is it just me, or is it really unsettling that NSMBU deluxe is $60 but you can get the Wii U version, which is pretty much the exact same game except it's not made for noobs (with that nabbit boi) and it does include the DLC expansion, but you can buy the original for $25 at gamestop and probably even less elsewhere? Seems kinda weird but idk.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I think it would be more disrespectful to give a Deluxe edition (inluding all paid DLC) of a game paid DLC but ok.

Yup. Paid $60 for the game and I believe $16 for DOC, now you can get all that and more for... $60.

Like why tho.

Well, since we are getting a Switch only Direct today: What do think of how high the chances are
that they maybe drop a DLC for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? (Since I guess something like Mario Kart 9 is
even more unlikely...)

Yeah same here. I already own MK8 and NSMBU on the Wii U, why would I buy them again?

Also is it just me, or is it really unsettling that NSMBU deluxe is $60 but you can get the Wii U version, which is pretty much the exact same game except it's not made for noobs (with that nabbit boi) and it does include the DLC expansion, but you can buy the original for $25 at gamestop and probably even less elsewhere? Seems kinda weird but idk.

I totally agree with you and MapleSilver, I don't see the point in buying the Switch versions especially since you can get the same game for the most part for almost a third of the cost! Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a really good example of this, why on earth would anyone pay $60 for it when you can get the Wii U version (which is almost identical) for less than $20 (I got mine for only $15!)? Even though I will be buying a Switch for Animal Crossing, I am not too happy with how Nintendo essentially screwed Wii U customers over by making definitive versions of Wii U games and not offering the new content back to the original adopters who were there for Nintendo during the hard times (if it wasn't for the 3DS, Nintendo would have been in really bad shape during the Wii U era). Due to this reason, I don't plan on buying a single one of those ports and will only be buying the really good games on the system (that is a good reason why I have not bought a Switch yet).

When it comes to Mario Kart 8, I personally love the Wii U version from my experience with both versions especially since it is more challenging in comparison (you can only hold one item at a time, there are only 2 levels of boost, you have to unlock more compared to MK8D which gives you a lot at the start, etc.). I also love how there are far more controller options in the Wii U version as well (Gamepad, Wii U Pro Controller, Wii Remote/Wii Wheel, Wii Remote + Nunchuk, Wii Classic Controller Regular/Pro)! :D

I'm 4 courses in and loving the game!! Playing it when I want a bit of a break from Zelda.

What made me a bit sad was that I couldn't play online. My Internet is a tethered mobile connection and it's NAT 3 type of network, so I can't connect to anyone unless they are NAT 1 (very few people have that). And for some reason Switch doesn't allow me to do any multiplayer on NAT 3. : ( Though, I still can get tournaments and etc., just not playing with others. A bit of a bummer but not a big deal.

Mario Kart 8 is amazing! I'm surprised how much I like it since I'm not into racing games at all. Mario and Nintendo are just magic. :3 (∩`-?)⊃━✿✿✿✿✿✿

Last edited:
I'm 4 courses in and loving the game!! Playing it when I want a bit of a break from Zelda.

What made me a bit sad was that I couldn't play online. My Internet is a tethered mobile connection and it's NAT 3 type of network, so I can't connect to anyone unless they are NAT 1 (very few people have that). And for some reason Switch doesn't allow me to do any multiplayer on NAT 3. : ( Though, I still can get tournaments and etc., just not playing with others. A bit of a bummer but not a big deal.

Mario Kart 8 is amazing! I'm surprised how much I like it since I'm not into racing games at all. Mario and Nintendo are just magic. :3 (∩`-?)⊃━✿✿✿✿✿✿

Oh no, that sucks because Mario Kart is one of those games best played online with other people. I never touch single player at all, I always go straight online and find some people to play with.

Oh no, that sucks because Mario Kart is one of those games best played online with other people. I never touch single player at all, I always go straight online and find some people to play with.

Yeah, I don't mind it.
The AI is pretty good. They're not doing anything on the 50cc mode, but starting with 150cc, there can be some challenging battles and I always end up 5-10th in the race. One little thing that annoys me is that there's almost no way to avoid item-attacks even though I am trying to dodge them, but that's not a big deal.

The game is very fun to me even without the online. I'm 8 courses in, so 4 courses and I'll start playing Mario Aces. There was a demo for it and the game is just so much fun. I have no idea how Nintendo can make something as simple as racing or tennis, into such a fun game. (∩`-?)⊃━炎炎炎炎炎
My favorite track is probably the Animal Crossing one. So sweet. :3

What I also love about this game is that there's no end to it. Even though I've played all of the modes already, it always feels new. ^^

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't mind it.
The AI is pretty good. They're not doing anything on the 50cc mode, but starting with 150cc, there can be some challenging battles and I always end up 5-10th in the race. One little thing that annoys me is that there's almost no way to avoid item-attacks even though I am trying to dodge them, but that's not a big deal.

The game is very fun to me even without the online. I'm 8 courses in, so 4 courses and I'll start playing Mario Aces. There was a demo for it and the game is just so much fun. I have no idea how Nintendo can make something as simple as racing or tennis, into such a fun game. (∩`-?)⊃━炎炎炎炎炎
My favorite track is probably the Animal Crossing one. So sweet. :3

What I also love about this game is that there's no end to it. Even though I've played all of the modes already, it always feels new. ^^

I've noticed a big difference between AI and real players, especially on renegade roundup which is what I mainly play. They're completely awful on renegade roundup. But if you're just racing, I'd recommend holding a shell or banana behind you at all times for protection. Or if you have a superhorn, save it until a blue or red shell is coming at you and use it right before the shell hits you.

I've noticed a big difference between AI and real players, especially on renegade roundup which is what I mainly play. They're completely awful on renegade roundup. But if you're just racing, I'd recommend holding a shell or banana behind you at all times for protection. Or if you have a superhorn, save it until a blue or red shell is coming at you and use it right before the shell hits you.

It's actually better to keep your item in in your hand and to not hold it behind you. The game warns you for most items so you can just pull it out whenever you see or hear an item. A blue shell for example will waste your held item more often than not which leaves you completely defenseless after the explosion and that makes you vulnerable to get Mario Karted :)

Last edited:
It's actually better to keep your item in in your hand and to not hold it behind you. The game warns you for most items so you can just pull it out whenever you see or hear an item. A blue shell for example will waste your held item more often than not which leaves you completely defenseless after the explosion and that makes you vulnerable to get Mario Karted :)

We can agree to disagree on that one. I think it's better to hold it. Not to mention even if you get hit by a blue shell and lose your first item, you can use your second one.

We can agree to disagree on that one. I think it's better to hold it. Not to mention even if you get hit by a blue shell and lose your first item, you can use your second one.

And what would your second item be? A coin?

lmao

yes i know it's possible to get two defensive items but how often does that really happen it's part of the meta to save your item just try it out ok and if you are good enough at keeping an eye on your surroundings for incoming green shells etc there is literally no reason to hold your item out anyways

Last edited:
It really sucks that after Nintendo said that during Summer 2018, they said there’d be more content. But what did we get? Labo, BOTW content and Online payment. After that, we got nothing great.

When we want new content, it’s most likely we want new cups, characters and vehicle parts, such as the DLC for the Wii U version.

Thing is, this is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe’s last year to include DLC or two before a new game might come out in 2020 due to the 3 year pattern. I don’t think it’s likely because it’s just a copy of the original, but I’d love for them to do so.

Perhaps at E3 or on a regular Nintendo Direct they’ll announce a new Mario Kart game that’ll pull off a Smash Ultimate with everything from every Mario Kart game in one (With new content too). I mean, they ARE running out of retro tracks to use.

I also wanna know what Mario Kart Tour will act like and if it’ll connect to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or not.

It really sucks that after Nintendo said that during Summer 2018, they said there?d be more content. But what did we get? Labo, BOTW content and Online payment. After that, we got nothing great.

When we want new content, it?s most likely we want new cups, characters and vehicle parts, such as the DLC for the Wii U version.

Thing is, this is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?s last year to include DLC or two before a new game might come out in 2020 due to the 3 year pattern. I don?t think it?s likely because it?s just a copy of the original, but I?d love for them to do so.

Perhaps at E3 or on a regular Nintendo Direct they?ll announce a new Mario Kart game that?ll pull off a Smash Ultimate with everything from every Mario Kart game in one (With new content too). I mean, they ARE running out of retro tracks to use.

I also wanna know what Mario Kart Tour will act like and if it?ll connect to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or not.

I'm also disappointed that they never released a DLC with new characters and such ever since
the game came out. I not that much interested in Labo, the BOTW content is okay and the Online
payment... I guess everyone has a own opinion to that one. Part of me hoped back then that they
would maybe bring out a DLC with a Super Mario Odyssey based track with Pauline as a new character,
when Odyssey was new and a big thing and also to put Pauline in more games now since she's got a
comeback (after all, she became at least a playable character in Mario Tennis Ace later). But nope,
nothing happened. Not sure if there is still a chance for new content or if they now saving up
everything for a complete new MK game. Of course it would be cool if they maybe drop a DLC at
the upcoming E3, but I don't get my hopes up. It would be a nice surprise after all however.

Mario Kart Tour is that mobile game, right? Not really interested personally in that one, not only
because I'm not a fan of mobile games in general, but also because my phone sucks, I couldn't
even play that game all (can't even play Pocket Camp on it, so yeah...). However, I would like
to know if you could connect it to MK8, just out of curiosity.

Back