kpop

"So what's the best K-pop to check out if you're not a fan of most K-pop?" is kind of a tricky question to answer if you're not into R&B, because i find that most people who are not into k-pop think of k-pop as cutesy bright pop, so they get into k-pop because of the songs that sound dark or R&B influenced (aka more western) like red velvet's bad boy or psycho (personally both are some of the best kpop songs i've ever heard).

you might like this if you're into j-pop, both groups have 3 japanese members. they release j-pop singles too.

dreamcatcher's sound is definitely different from most k-pop groups too

boy groups mostly have rap / r&b sound so i won't even bother suggesting lol

Oh IZ*ONE. I completely forgot about them. I'm actually aware of them BECAUSE of J-pop. Those Japanese members you're talking about come from the 48 groups (aka AKB48, etc). I've never actually listened to any of their music before. Sakura Miyawaki was HUGE in AKB48 when she left to join IZ*ONE. I felt it was kinda weird that she even got to go, since AKB48 has been losing all of their best talent and not getting many good replacements. I actually lost interest in them because of that.

The two songs you linked are much more up my alley. Thank you. The vocals still have R&B/Western pop-esque autotuning to them, but the beat sounds very Eurodance which is nice. The TWICE song kinda sounds like it could've been in a DDR game almost.

Does anyone stan ateez :000
A8CA1CA4-F1FB-4448-8D8C-149EF897A36E.jpeg
also I’m really excited for the skz comeback even tho they deserve to rest )):

Oh IZ*ONE. I completely forgot about them. I'm actually aware of them BECAUSE of J-pop. Those Japanese members you're talking about come from the 48 groups (aka AKB48, etc). I've never actually listened to any of their music before. Sakura Miyawaki was HUGE in AKB48 when she left to join IZ*ONE. I felt it was kinda weird that she even got to go, since AKB48 has been losing all of their best talent and not getting many good replacements. I actually lost interest in them because of that.

The two songs you linked are much more up my alley. Thank you. The vocals still have R&B/Western pop-esque autotuning to them, but the beat sounds very Eurodance which is nice. The TWICE song kinda sounds like it could've been in a DDR game almost.

sakura miyawaki is my bias 😭😭😭
i love her. i never got to follow AKB48 (just videos and performances here & there because i watch sakura stuff) but i read about it and yeah there was a lot to unpack, there was a lot of drama on AKB48 alone and there’s also an issue how japanese idols were treated in korea. though, her popularity in japan was really utilized to the max because she was popular since day 1 on the korean produce show. her improvement from AKB48 to now is insane. it makes you wonder what even goes on in the korean idol training system.

yeah i also linked the twice feel special song because it’s very eurodance. it’s the first i thought of that’s not r&b/rap. even though there’s essentially a rap verse, as you won’t find a kpop song without a rap anyway lol.

havent been here in a bit :’)

im so excited for October, nct is having a cb 👀 and bts might too
also all these solos that have come out recently are so good! (Wonho, Jackson, Taemin) AND skz’s cb was wow 🤩 lmaoo i was up when they had the concert thing

So what's the best K-pop to check out if you're not a fan of most K-pop? So much K-pop is like modern American pop, with rap and R&B influences. I'm just not really a fan.

This is why I generally still prefer J-pop. Some J-pop is drifting the way of rap/R&B influences, mainly because of the popularity of K-pop nowadays. But most is not that way.

I just know K-pop is so popular and I want to try to "get it", but so far I can't.

I kinda get what you're saying, I think in general most of the more mainstream kpop bands that i've listened to typically aren't up my alley. I do like OC (rip) and Red Velvet a fair bit, though.

So what's the best K-pop to check out if you're not a fan of most K-pop? So much K-pop is like modern American pop, with rap and R&B influences. I'm just not really a fan.

This is why I generally still prefer J-pop. Some J-pop is drifting the way of rap/R&B influences, mainly because of the popularity of K-pop nowadays. But most is not that way.

I just know K-pop is so popular and I want to try to "get it", but so far I can't.

Hi! I'm a softcore 48G stan (was really into 48G back in the kami-7 golden era but fell out after mayuyu got her senbatsu center)! I think it's really hard to find kpop groups that have a similar sound, but here are some suggestions that might be up your alley!

Lovelyz - WoW!
GFriend - Glass Bead
Year 7 Class 1 - Always

I chose these three because they reminded me of the vibe I got when listening to 48G <3

Edited to add:

Fromis_9 - Glass Shoes -> not a "perfect recommendation" but! worth a listen imo!

Last edited:
anyone loving the fromis_9 comeback? just me?

Also... ANYONE EXCITED FOR LOONA'S COMEBACK...?
When I saw the news I jumped on my bus' seat! I have quite a few of their albums so I'm really looking forward to this! I'm also hoping Haseul will participate in this comeback! A lot of people are saying she will because of the whole "12:00" thing.

NCT 2020
im so excited!! with the new members as well even tho jisung’s a hyung now 🤧
also I literally never noticed how big Nct is lol
57C8B82D-5FAF-4D47-912D-77E346FF867D.jpeg

I don't actively listen to k pop but I think its really cool, I just wish I spoke Korean so I could fully understand what they are saying! but I like the look and sound of it a lot!! however, I've heard that those in k pop are not treated very well, and its regarded more as a business with a lot of managers who call all the shots rather than individual people in k pop groups making decisions for their own music, so I'm not sure I want to support that

I don't actively listen to k pop but I think its really cool, I just wish I spoke Korean so I could fully understand what they are saying! but I like the look and sound of it a lot!! however, I've heard that those in k pop are not treated very well, and its regarded more as a business with a lot of managers who call all the shots rather than individual people in k pop groups making decisions for their own music, so I'm not sure I want to support that
I think that really depends on the group and the management. A couple of the newer groups have some freedom to produce their own music, choreography, and concepts with some management support. Seniors in the industry have a bit more say as well. But I think it really boils down to which management a group is signed with. This isn't an issue that's exclusive to K-pop though -- most capitalist businesses control what kinds of content is produced and how its output is represented.

The music is amazing - the mvs, albums, choreographies, outfits, everything. But a lot of the fandoms are crazy. I remember I once showed support to Blackpink by reminding Blinks to stream HYLT. I got attacked by Armies and got called a hater purely for supporting my favourite group :')
The rules and standards in kpop are absurd, too. But if you manage to ignore the bad side of kpop, you can enjoy the good side so much more. Kpop has become a big comfort to me. I remember when I got my first Red Velvet album, I was happy for weeks. I've never felt like that before xD

absolutely love it, though i must say i'm only a fan of girl groups. i personally just don't like any boy group song i have listened to to this point, but they're all still great and hardworking artists! i feel like unlike western mainstream music where a lot of artists are completely overrated, kpop artists are really all extremely talented. however there are lots of aspects i have a problem with, such as the toxic fandoms, but i'm sure that's no news to anyone. but other than that i feel like a lot of idols are being overworked, which is just terrible for their mental and physical health. sure that happens to any artist out there, but considering how that is such a taboo subject in asia i feel like lots of idols are secretly struggling. another issue i have is the (no pun intended) idolization of these idols, what i mean is that a lot of fans don't treat them like human beings but more like demi gods. they put them on such high pedastals, as though they're perfect. i feel like that problem also comes from barely any idols being allowed to use social media and really sharing their real personality with us. most idols have to put on a smile and give us this perfect, innocent character which is just not realistic. while i'm at it (i know this is very long, sorry lol) i hate how nowadays with bts and blackpink being so huge in the west, lots of stans come for other less popular groups for not being as big in the west. as though a group is only valid if they're popular over here, which is not fair for the hard working groups. some groups were just luckier than others and being popular here doesn't make them any better than any other group tbh. i'm not a fan of kpop becoming mainstream and all the companies wanting to appeal to western audiences :/ rant over lol pls if anyone wants to discuss any point i made, i would love to!!

ohhh boyyy i stan too many groups and need to slow down,,, my top kpop group is astro and my other top groups are seventeen, bts, the boyz, nct, golden child, ateez, and cravity but i also listen to a lot more groups. my favorite comeback of this year is probably nct 127 with kick it (also my favorite album of the year) or nct 2020 but my favorite title track of the year is answer by ateez :)

kpop is important to me, it got me through a lot of stuff during my senior year of highschool and the group exo became one of my hyperfixations. i dont listen to other groups like i used to

i just like the music, but i have been made fun of for liking kpop almost every time ive brought it up when people ask what music i listen to. im not even a rabid fan, i just casually listen and buy an album here or there, yet it seems inevitable that people want to slam you for liking it
Post automatically merged:

oh and i HATE shipping culture, i am not interested in seeing people drawing ACTUAL people naked or together with a friend of theirs, its gross

Back